Villa students pass through 'Mary's Walk' on the way to the junior high building from the athletic complex.
The Villa Maria Academy supports children and families with a liberating education in a nurturing, Catholic community.
The Villa Maria Academy main building houses the lower school in a Tudor building overlooking the Eastchester Bay The campus is laid out over 8 leafy acres.
- The Villa Maria Academy is a private, independent, Catholic co-educational elementary school located in the Country Club section of the Northeast Bronx.
- The school is owned and operated by the Religious Women of the Congregation of Notre Dame.
- Over the course of more than a century, the Villa has established a reputation for academic excellence, a robust faith life and a deep and abiding sense of family and community.
- The Villa has been an outstanding member of the academic community of New York City, consistently producing capable, ambitious, well-rounded alumni active in the worlds of business and the arts.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Education Association
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||333 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,900|
|Tuition Notes||100 registration fee and 200 fundraising responsibility.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sr. Teresa Barton, CND|
|Admissions Associate||Lucille Hall|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Drama Club, Math League, National Junior Honor Society, Piano Lessons, STEM Club, Student Council Drama Club, Math League, Piano Lessons, STEM Club, National Junior Honor Society,
- The curriculum of the Villa Maria Academy meets the standards of the Common Core, New York State Education Department and the Office of the Superintendent of Schools for the Archdiocese of New York. Villa Maria Academy is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.Villa Maria Academy has established a reputation for academic excellence reaching back over a century. Impressive alumni achievements affirm the school's stellar reputation. The Villa boasts standardized test scores that consistently exceed national and local averages of public and parochial schools.The Villa Maria Academy employs a classical pedagogy focused on mastery of the fundamentals. A strong foundation equips students to expand beyond the basics and delve deeper into more challenging levels and diverse subject matter. Close teacher accompaniment assured by small class sizes enables individualized attention.
- The Villa Maria Academy campus is outstanding in its features and physical location. Nestled on 8 acres overlooking the picturesque Eastchester Bay, the campus comprises 3 buildings. The lower grades study in the original building with fully equipped science and technology labs and music and art studios. A large book and media collection spanning the decades is housed in an elegant library. The Great Hall accommodates school-wide liturgies and events. A separate junior high school building provides older students with a space for age-appropriate activities and includes Hall Marguerite, a communal gathering place for meals and events. The Visitation Center has a regulation-sized gymnasium that holds sports tournaments and community youth programs and doubles as a full-size theater. A quarter-mile track makes the school the perfect host for track and field competitions. In every possible way, the campus serves the academic and social needs of the community. The gardens double as classrooms to serve the varied needs of an integrated curriculum supporting science, art, and language. Large, grassy lawns invite games, picnics and socializing around a colorful playground used during recess, after school and play dates. A grotto offers a space for peaceful reflection and prayer. mary's Walk, a shaded pathway with benches, serves as a community meeting place. The campus is one of a handful in North America that displays a peace mural and a peace pole, announcing our prayer for peace in the languages that are meaningful to the Villa's history and culture.
- The Villa Maria Academy faculty is comprised of teachers who are more than instructors. They care for each child and nurture their progress with individual attention and support. They are role models and mentors. They empower Villa students with confidence and encouragement. Inspired by the philosophy of "Liberating Education," Villa teachers seek to optimize each student's capacity, freeing their potential and enabling them to go out and change the world. The Villa uniquely offers a high level of teacher attention as illustrated by the 1:18 teacher/student ratio. Teachers develop a deep sense of individual strengths and weaknesses and tailor lessons to optimize each student's gifts. Personalized instruction geared to meet each student's individual needs and learning styles guides them to their fullest potential. The Villa's independence as a private school assures the flexibility to teach creatively. The positive environment supports high teacher retention and experience. The Villa faculty is complemented by other professional staff members who enable the school to provide comprehensive and holistic education. These include a guidance counselor, campus minister and nurse.Ninety percent of the faculty holds master`s degrees. Lifelong learners, they participate in a range of professional development programs throughout the year.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BronxGrades: PK-8 | 278 students
1617 Parkview Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
BronxGrades: PK-8 | 422 students
2872 Saint Theresa Ave
Bronx, NY 10461
BronxGrades: PK-8 | 346 students
1016 Edison Ave
Bronx, NY 10465
BronxGrades: PK-8 | 171 students
1651 Zerega Avenue
Bronx, NY 10462
BronxGrades: PK-8 | 591 students
1500 Arnow Avenue
Bronx, NY 10469
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.