Virginia Episcopal School
- Top Ranked VA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 260 students
- Yearly Tuition: $57,000
- Acceptance rate: 60%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 7 / Feb. 1 / rolling
Virginia Episcopal School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
Academics and Faculty
(Blazers, tie, skirts, dresses, dress slacks; spirit dress days)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Alpha Order - Student Admissions Team, Anime Club, Basia Librum Book Club, Black Student Union, Board Games Club, Captain's Club - Athletics Leadership, Chess Club, Chinese Culture Club, Counselor Body, Cybersecurity Club, Debate Club, Garden Club, Green Team - Sustainability Club, GSA, Honor Committee, Junior Resident Assistants, Model United Nations, Pratfall Club, Quiz Bowl, Robotics, Stock Market Club, Student Council, TEAMS Engineering, Vestry, Video Productions, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber Ensemble, Drama, Glee Club, Jazz Ensemble, Sketchbook Club, Vocal Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- With 260 students and an average class size of 12, VES is intentionally small and selective, allowing us to simultaneously foster independent learning and guided study.
- Beyond gaining essential 21st century skills-like project-based learning, collaborating with peers and solving relevant problems-the majority of VES students stay active on one of our 35 teams across 17 sports, in our many visual and performing arts programs, in leadership roles, service learning and more than 30 special interest clubs.
- Among our 40 teaching faculty, 75% hold advanced degrees and 7% hold a doctoral degree, elevating our students` academic experience and expanding the depth and breadth of courses offered.
- Students are given the opportunities to challenge themselves to achieve their highest academic potential. VES offers three class levels-Regular, Honors and AP courses. Those who want to go beyond may pursue our Advanced Studies Program.
- VES is a safe place in which students and faculty learn to live together with purpose and accountability. Through our four-year, progressive Student and Residential Life Program, VES faculty and outside experts address the challenges teenagers face today, leveraging the latest science about the adolescent brain. Through this program and others-academics, character and spiritual development, advisory, athletics, the arts, and service learning-students engage in real conversations, acquire practical tools and learn how to live happy, joyful and productive lives. And when they graduate, students have the competencies and confidence to go out and take on the world.
- Each weekend we offer 10+ activities for students to get involved-on campus, in Lynchburg and the surrounding region.
- VES is a blend of young men and women, boarding (70%) and day (30%) students from all over the U.S. and the world (14 countries). Our campus is a meeting place for diverse perspectives and global cultures where students learn from and respect each other.
- Our students go to great colleges and universities around the country, including UVA, UNC, Duke, Stanford, UCLA, Wellesley, MIT, William & Mary, the University of Chicago, Princeton and NYU. All students who graduate from VES are prepared to excel, not only in college, but also in life!
- The VES College Counseling program is cited by families as among the best available. With a focus on helping students find their very best fit for college, our counselors support, educate and provide the necessary tools to help students and parents successfully navigate the complex college admissions process. VES graduates attend many of the world`s finest colleges and universities, including Stanford, UCLA, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, Columbia University, MIT, Wellesley, NYU, the U.S. Naval Academy, UVA, UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, the College of William & Mary, Wake Forest, Harvey Mudd and Georgia Tech.
- With 80% of faculty living on campus and a 6:1 student-to-teacher ratio, students and faculty form trusting relationships in an engaging community. And our alumni provide an extensive network of support to students and graduates as they look for advice about college, internships, jobs or moving to a new city.
- Nestled on 160 acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, we take advantage of our spectacular location just minutes from a thriving downtown with music, arts, maker spaces, an extensive trail system, mountains, rivers and lakes, the nation`s only year-round ski slopes and much more! We are easily accessible by plane, train and automobile. We`re an hour`s drive to Charlottesville, Roanoke and Lexington; two hours to Richmond and three hours to DC!
- Our success is reflected in both the great kids growing Toward Full Stature in our community and our high retention rate-one of the highest retention rates of boarding schools in the nation; the national average for attrition at boarding schools is 10.5%. VES has held steady at a 3 - 5% attrition over the past three years.
Endorse Virginia Episcopal School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards