Wakefield School's Early Childhood Program is grounded in the constructivist philosophy and guided by the research of noted child psychologists Jean Piaget, Lev Vygotsky, and Arnold Gesell. The curriculum aims to teach students how to self-regulate; foster curiosity and creativity; develop the social skills to be active members of a community; and inspire a love of learning and school. We
- Wakefield School is an independent, college-preparatory school whose primary goal is to provide a rigorous, liberal arts education.
- We believe that a challenging, content-based curriculum trains the intellect while fostering self-discipline, independence, creativity, and curiosity.
- At the same time, we encourage students at every level to think about and with the knowledge they are working to master.
- Finally, we aim to cultivate strong and ethical character through guidance in and out of the classroom from teachers committed to training the spirit as well as the mind.
- The mission of the school is to provide students with the fundamental knowledge, the critical thinking skills, and the strength of character to distinguish that which is true from that which is not, and to use that wisdom in positive ways.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Each case evaluated independently to ensure appropriate level of services are available.|
|Total Students||432 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|Average SAT score||1300|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Visit www.wakefieldschool.org for details)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||For details, please visit http://www.wakefieldschool.org/admission/affording_wakefield/index.aspx|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
|Admissions Director||Sarah McDonough|
|Admissions Associate||Kathleen McLean|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WarrentonGrades: PK-12 | 467 students
597 Broadview Ave
Warrenton, VA 20186
Flint HillGrades: NS-12 | 189 students
P.O. Box 739
Flint Hill, VA 22627
OaktonGrades: PK-12 | 998 students
3320 Jermantown Road
Oakton, VA 22124
MiddleburgGrades: PK-8 | 246 students
130 South Madison St
Middleburg, VA 20117
LeesburgGrades: NS-8 | 328 students
20600 Red Cedar Drive
Leesburg, VA 20175
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.