Walsingham Academy Lower School
Walsingham Academy Lower School Photo #2 - The Middle School is ranked in the top 10% of schools nationally measured by standardized academic achievement tests.
Walsingham Academy Lower School Photo #3 - The Middle School science curriculum allows for exploration in the many branches of science, including but not limited to Earth science, life science, physical science, and environmental science. The students often participate in hands-on activities and inquiry- based learning, allowing them to go beyond the limitations of the textbooks. The renovated science lab gives students an opportunity to enhance their learning. Reading across the curriculum, walking field trips, and technology are samples of the many other enrichment opportunities provided to Walsingham students.
Walsingham Academy Lower School Photo #5 - The Extended Care Program provides an opportunity for children to participate in recreational activities (indoor and outdoor), enrichment experiences, arts and crafts, and supervised free time to explore many educational and socially focused activities.
Walsingham Academy Lower School Photo #6 - The Walsingham Academy Preschool program is a developmentally appropriate program that provides a model of education that is experienced-based, interdisciplinary, and collaborative. There is an emphasis on educating the whole child - the intellectual, emotional, social, physical, and spiritual aspects of each person.
Walsingham Academy Lower School Photo #7 - The Walsingham Academy Lower School offers the latest technology with dual-boot (PC and MAC) computers in the lab, over 75 laptops for classroom use, and LCD projectors in 4th - 7th grade classrooms, allowing for multi-sensory learning.
- Located in picturesque Williamsburg, Virginia, Walsingham Academy was founded in 1947 by the Sisters of Mercy and built on the traditions of academic excellence, faith and the development of the whole child. Vibrant and challenging programs in academics, service, the arts and athletics contribute to independent, critical thinkers prepared to be responsible stewards of the world.Walsingham Academy stresses the important role of the family in sharing responsibility for each student's total education.
- Walsingham Academy recognizes the student as the center of its concern.
- The dignity and worth of each person teacher, student, and staff person are reverenced and respected.
- In terms of intellectual development, the school is strongly committed to academic excellence and self discipline.
- This emphasis on excellence encourages all students to reach the highest fulfillment of their potential for learning throughout their lives.
- Students, teachers, parents, and administrators share in the purpose of the Walsingham community and work toward promoting the maximum growth of the individual within a Christ-centered setting.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-7|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||PALS, small group and one-on-one reading, and speech and language tutoring.|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2003|
|Total Students||347 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Winter and Spring Uniforms for girls and boys.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Visit https://www.walsingham.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=379 for tuition information.|
|Admissions Director||Richard Plank|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Builders Club, Computer Club, Intramural Sports, K-Kids, MathCounts®, Odyssey of the Mind, Student Council Association (SCA), Young Entrepreneur Clu|
- A Catholic, Christ-centered learning environment provides the foundation for successful achievement and positive relationships. Terra Nova scores in the Lower School are consistently in the top 10% of national rankings. The limited size of the lower school will allow your child to build strong relationships with their peers, teachers and administration. Highly qualified, licensed teachers implement a rigorous curriculum using creative, innovative teaching strategies. Spanish is taught in Kindergarten through grade five. Sixth and seventh grade students select Spanish, Latin or French, with the opportunity to earn high school credit for first year foreign language. The Lower School offers the latest technology with dual-boot (PC and MAC) computers in the lab, over 75 laptops for classroom use, and LCD projectors in 4th - 7th grade classrooms, allowing for multi-sensory learning.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Newport News Grades: NS-8 | 34 students
1200 17th St
Newport News, VA 23607
(757)244-5438 26 NS-8
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 180 students
3418 Noble Ave
Richmond, VA 23222
(804)329-7524 45.2 PK-8
- Richmond Grades: 5-8 | 71 students
500 N Allen Ave
Richmond, VA 23220
(804)228-2436 45.3 5-8
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 212 students
3100 Grove Avenue
Richmond, VA 23221
(804)254-8850 46.2 PK-8
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.