Providence Classical School
5.00 (1 review)
Providence Classical School Photo #2 - Our headmaster, Susan Oweis, greets students every morning and interacts with them throughout the school day. Her office is a popular spot for student visits. Every student is known and loved.
Providence Classical School Photo #3 - Providence Classical School has an open air campus with four buildings and outdoor lunch areas. All K-12 students lunch at the same time which creates opportunities for cross-grade friendships and mentoring.
Providence Classical School Photo #4 - In addition to studying Latin and Greek, PCS students in 9th through 12th grade all take a humanities course which integrates the teaching of history, philosophy, theology, and composition by reading and studying classic literature.
Providence Classical School Photo #5 - Providence Classical School has a rich visual and musical arts program. The study of music and art frequently complements the historical study taking place in each grade. PCS also has a new music lab complete with a recording studio.
- Providence Classical School is well known for its outstanding academic program and is the only classical, Christian school in Williamsburg.
- PCS nurtures a child's love of learning and equips them with the tools to think and live as strong Christians.
- We invite you to come and see how our students are embracing the classical method of learning, tour the school, meet the staff and review our curriculum.
- You will be amazed at the extraordinary things our students are doing and learning at Providence Classical School!.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Parental contracts with NILD, teacher support|
|Total Students||177 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Greek, Humane Letters, Latin|
|Average SAT score||1164|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants and logo polo shirt, Plaid skirt/jumper)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,000|
|Tuition Notes||Please visit our website for admission and tuition information.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Susan Oweis|
|Admissions Associate||Harriet Machie|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Moms in Touch, Science Club|
Club or Organization:
Art Club, Bible Study, Chess Club, Cyber Patriots, Fencing Club, Math Team, Robotics Club, Rowing Club, Tennis Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Lessons, Music Lessons, Worship Team
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Running Club
- At PCS, our teachers and staff really get to know your child. We love, cherish and encourage them to reach their full God-given potential. PCS features: Kindergarten (half and full day) through 12th grade Acclaimed curriculum, classically taught: math, science, phonics/reading, grammar, writing, Bible, history, Latin beginning in 3rd grade, and for upper grades, logic, debate, Greek, advanced math, Humane Letters and more. Small classes: a maximum class size of 15 students in K; 18 in other classes Creative play time and reading centers for younger grades and recess for all grades Accelerated learner options Weekly art and music classes Daily classical "Memory Period" Weekly Chapel with guest speakers Prayer Buddy student mentor program, matching older students with young ones ABOUT CLASSICAL EDUCATION It's an educational system that has produced some of the finest minds in the world -- from St. Augustine and Patrick Henry to Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Marie Curie and many others. Classical education is a method of teaching built on centuries of proven techniques that prepare students to become self directed learners who can think for themselves. In classical education, learning is structured according to the natural stages of child development. This enables students to gain knowledge, understanding, and wisdom at age appropriate stages as they progress through the curriculum. The results are simply phenomenal, with each grade at Providence Classical regularly scoring in the top 15 percent of standardized achievement tests.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Williamsburg Grades: PK-12 | 462 students
1100 Jamestown Rd
Williamsburg, VA 23187
(757)229-6026 3.2 PK-12
- Newport News Grades: PK-12 | 655 students
739 Academy Lane
Newport News, VA 23602
(757)884-9100 19.7 PK-12
I discovered Providence just before it opened in its first year after attending an Open House that explained classical, Christian education. As an educator myself, I was astounded by what I witnessed during the demonstrations by students in a similar school nearby. The kids in elementary school had an amazing grasp of grammar and history. I brought my children to PCS because of the academics, (which did not disappoint), but we stayed because of the love and faith demonstrated by the staff. Although my children are past college age now, my love for this school keeps me involved.
- Posted by Administrator - Rita Stryker
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.