Good Shepherd Episcopal School
5.00 (7 reviews)
Good Shepherd Episcopal School Photo #3 - Outdoor Education and community service are an integral part of our curriculum.
- Nestled at the corner of the James River and Forest Hill Park, Good Shepherd Episcopal School serves the children and families of the City of Richmond and surrounding counties by offering a core K-8 curriculum enhanced by Spanish, technology, outdoor education, the arts, and comparative religion to children of all faiths.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||79 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,400|
|Tuition Notes||K-5: $10,400 Middle School (Grades 6-8): $10,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Coleman|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Mountain Biking, SoccerBasketball, Mountain Biking,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Lego Robotics
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball, Cuong Nhu, JV and Varsity Soccer, Mountain Biking
- We are Rooted in Community. We strive to support our families by building relationships and fostering a strong sense of community. We grow our students by connecting them to each other, to their teachers, the Forest Hill neighborhood, and the James River watershed, which provides them with a deep sense of belonging and responsibility.
- We are Strengthened by Diversity. We believe children should feel enriched by their experiences and relationships with many different kinds of people. We aim to create a school environment that embraces and celebrates each child`s unique perspective. When children learn to value people who are different from themselves, they are better prepared to live peacefully in a diverse world.
- We are Inspired by Possibility. When students are encouraged to be themselves, the possibilities are endless. We aim to empower students with the curiosity, knowledge, and confidence that will lead them to be their best selves in life. In turn, they inspire us to continually grow and thrive as a school community.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 181 students
3418 Noble Ave
Richmond, VA 23222
(804)329-7524 4.6 PK-8
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 449 students
6011 York Rd
Richmond, VA 23226
(804)288-1994 4.5 PK-8
- Richmond Grades: 5-8 | 71 students
500 N Allen Ave
Richmond, VA 23220
(804)228-2436 2.7 5-8
We could not be happier with our experience at GSES! GSES got to know my son and they know what he needs to be successful. It is a caring, supportive and diverse environment. It's not your typical private school.
- Posted by Parent - AES
Good Shepherd is a lovely and nurturing school. Many schools say that they have individualized education but this school really means it and provides it. The teachers are supportive and effectively communicate with parents. There is no "falling through the cracks" at GSES.
- Posted by Parent - Liz S.
Our son's pediatrician recommended that he would do better in a small classroom setting. After looking at several schools, we found Good Shepherd. From the beginning we felt very comfortable with the school, and it has been an excellent fit for our son. We love the small classroom sizes, the personal attention to each child and the some of the creative classes that they offer. We are so happy to be part of the wonderful community.
- Posted by Parent - ECJ
GSES is the best choice we could possibly have made. Our child spent three years in a public school. He was "fine"---our decision was not about academic or behavior issues. At GSES he thrives in all regards---academically, socially, and emotionally. He loves his school, teachers, and classmates. He gets the individual and small group attention he needs to be challenged. As a family, GSES has really made our lives better. We're all happier! GSES is an encouraging, nurturing environment. The students treat each other so well. It's a true community with enthusiastic, committed leadership. It's also truly diverse---there is no 'typical' family and the parents are great too.
- Posted by Parent - Mom of one
My 7th grade child has THRIVED at Good Shepherd Episcopal School. We have been a part of the community since he was in kindergarten and could not have asked for a better education or more safe, nurturing, and familial environment. It's the most affordable fully-accredited (VAIS) school in Richmond. It offers all of the academics (including Spanish starting in kindergarten) as well as a diverse range of extra-curricular classes and activities. Perhaps most importantly, there is a maximum class size of fifteen. The average class size is ten, the ideal for maximizing individual attention. You would be remiss were you not to research and visit Good Shepherd while shopping for your elementary and/or middle school child's perfect school home.
- Posted by Parent - Blake Chapman
GSES is a small school with so much to offer for the price. There is a tremendous amount of parental involvement and the staff (many of whom have children attending the school) go through great efforts in providing creative academic and artistic learning opportunities for the children. They are very encouraging and promote self confidence in children with a variety of challenges/differences.
- Posted by Parent - E.
I am a parent of two children at GSES and we have been very happy with the school - Grades 4 and Kindgergarten. All children at GSES receive a personalized/individualized education experience and this has been excellent for our kids. We enjoy the safe, family feel of the school and the different extracurricular & enrichment activities like sports, art and languages. The teachers are great and kids couldn't be happier! GSES is a wonderful school and community for our family.
- Posted by Parent - brooc
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.