Tel: (435) 462-1400
Wasatch Academy Photo #2 - Utah has some of the best snow on earth at 14 world-class Ski Resorts. The Wasatch Academy Skiing & Snowboarding team competes in the USASA nationals event where they begin their journey to the Olympic podium. We also have a private ski hill and cabin 30 minutes from campus for training and recreational use.
Wasatch Academy Photo #3 - A truly versatile education is developed through multiple styles of learning, taking place both in and out of the classroom. Wasatch Academy focuses on promoting a healthy blend of individualized and group learning experiences.
Wasatch Academy Photo #4 - Students that take advantage of the 1 to 1 Learning Services Program at Wasatch Academy learn effective study skills, find hidden character strengths, develop self-advocacy tools, and gain success in the pursuit of academics.
Wasatch Academy Photo #5 - The diverse student body and faculty are more than just a community. They`re friends in the cafeteria sharing a meal. They are advisors offering support after class, and teams of dedicated world citizens emptying the campus-wide recycling bins. Everyone has a place here.
Wasatch Academy Photo #6 - Weekend Recreation options offer close-to-campus activities as well as state-wide adventure. Utah is home to 7 National Monuments, 6 National Forests, 5 National Parks, 45 State Parks, and more. We know all the most popular spots and best-kept secrets. Come explore with us.
Wasatch Academy Photo #7 - The bright and open Studio Arts building features a fully functional darkroom, printmaking equipment, pottery wheels, two types of kilns, and big windows for natural light. The passionate faculty offer courses such as Ceramics, Pottery, Photography, 2D Art and many more. The art emphasis here helps students find their creative voice.
Wasatch Academy Photo #8 - The newest building on campus, the John W. and Elizabeth Lee Engineering Arts Building, is home to robotics, rocketry, engineering, and industrial fabrication. These courses are supported by state-of-the-art equipment such as 3D printers, heavy workshop machinery, and laser cutters. If the students can conceptualize it, they can build it.
Wasatch Academy Photo #9 - The Bernadette and Edward Feeney Music Conservatory is a 13,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility. Originally built in 1922 as the Wasatch Presbyterian Church was expanded in 2015, and now features professional-quality acoustics, soundproof practice rooms, an intimate concert hall, and a fully functional recording studio.
Wasatch Academy Photo #10 - Many of Wasatch Academy`s sports teams are top-ranked in the state, as well as the country. Students have access to state of the art sports facilities and skilled coaches in nearly a dozen different sports, preparing talented athletes to be offered multiple scholarships at D1 universities.
Founded in 1875, Wasatch Academy is a richly diverse community of boarding students, faculty, and staff. The campus is home to students from more than 30 countries and 35 states, providing a unique opportunity for students seeking to be fully immersed in American culture while becoming a part of a global community.
The courses provided throughout the school year blend project-based learning and a specialized one-on-one educational approach. This approach is proven to prepare students for university, career, and life. Lesson plans are molded to fit each unique student aiming not only to help them understand information, but also to learn invaluable life skills in critical thinking, communication, creativity, and innovation.
Every student has an advisor that provides academic, social, and personal support. As you grow intellectually and socially, you come to understand yourself, gain confidence in your abilities, and envision the places you will go.
Living together around the clock with teachers, coaches, dorm parents, and friends allow for an enriching, life-changing experience. Full-time dorm parents regularly teach about making safe, wise decisions, staying healthy, and building good character.
The clean and safe location of Mount Pleasant, Utah, allows students to focus on academic pursuits during the week and enjoy weekends filled with numerous activities. Students can enjoy Utah`s great outdoor recreation as well as various cultural, recreational, and service-based activities in nearby cities and local areas.
At Wasatch Academy, students pursue their passions, find their purpose, and discover a sense of who they are.
- Utah Adventures Await | Students at Wasatch Academy Can Experience One of the Best Summer School Programs in the Country - 04/15/2021 - Summer school programs at Wasatch Academy are a great way for students to have an immersive experience, connect with the outdoors, and spend time with their friends.
- Wasatch Academy Recognized with Four 2021 Best of State Awards - 04/14/2021 - Utah Best of State has recognized Wasatch Academy as the 2021 Winner in the Educational Institution, Teacher K-12 (Dr. Zebediah Engberg), Teacher Training, and Historical/Heritage Sites (Liberal Hall Museum) categories.
- The Road to GEICO Nationals - How Wasatch Academy’s Basketball Team Found Success During The Pandemic - 03/29/2021 - Here`s what the Wasatch Academy Basketball team experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic and how they are finding success in their preparation for this year`s GEICO High School Basketball Nationals.
- 5 Reasons Why Wasatch Academy Is One Of The Best Private High Schools In America - 02/24/2021 - Everyone learns differently and education should never be a one-size-fits-all approach. From differentiated learning programs to a focus on diversity, here are some of the reasons why Wasatch Academy is ...moreone of the best private high schools in America. hide
Wasatch Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Utah for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/ADHD/Anxiety/Language-based or Mild Learning Difference/Dyscalculia/Dysgraphia/Dyspraxia/Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities/Executive Functioning/Oral / Written Language Disorder and Specific Reading Comprehension Deficit|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$10,500|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer Experience (six weeks): $10,500 Summer Dash (three-week session): $5,250|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||203 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language and Composition, Ap English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Mandarin, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S Government and Politics, AP U.S History|
|Average SAT score||1190|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$64,800|
|Tuition Notes||Includes tuition, room, board, and most weekend activities|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$33,800|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jolean Barkdull|
|Admissions Associate||Rebecca Nied|
|Endowment Size||$5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||22 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Cycling,
Fencing, Freestyle Skiing,
Golf, Indoor Soccer,
Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing,
Ski Jumping, Snowboarding,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Model United Nations, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Skateboarding, Skiing, Snowboarding, Student Council (STUCO), Student Prefecting, Sustainability Council, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Program, Honor Council, National Honor Society, Outdoors, Robotics, Student Government
- Wasatch Academy is a co-educational community and home to students from more than 30 countries and 35 states. Our specialized style of project-based learning is creative but intensive and focuses on helping every student reach their highest potential.
- The academic opportunities are plenty; the student-to-teacher ratio is 1:10 and over 130 courses are offered in 12 subject areas. Students complete course requirements with a deep content understanding and personal ownership of their learning. They also gain respect for the environment and attain a powerful awareness of how communities are interconnected.
- While at Wasatch Academy, students are given many opportunities to fill their resume with leadership positions, athletic participation, art experience, community service, and much more.
- Students learn personal and global responsibility through engaging classroom discussions, college counseling support, and real-life experiences of helping others inside and outside the school community.
- Wasatch Academy students attend universities such as Standford, Harvard, Duke, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Dartmouth, Caltech, Cornell, Berkely University of California, UCLA, MIT and many more.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Wasatch Academy accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Layton Grades: PK-12 | 401 students
2352 E Highway 193
Layton, UT 84040
(807) 771-7141 110.6 PK-12
- Provo Grades: PK-9 | 188 students
1598 W 820 N
Provo, UT 84601
(801) 356-1000 49.9 PK-9
- Provo Grades: 6-12 | 91 students
4501 N University Ave
Provo, UT 84604
(801) 491-3910 52.9 6-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.