Wasatch Academy Photo #2 - Utah has some of the best snow on earth at 14 world-class Ski Resorts. The Wasatch Academy Skiing & Snowboarding team competes in the USASA nationals event where they begin their journey to the Olympic podium. We also have a private ski hill and cabin 30 minutes from campus for training and recreational use.
Wasatch Academy Photo #3 - A truly versatile education is developed through multiple styles of learning, taking place both in and out of the classroom. Wasatch Academy focuses on promoting a healthy blend of individualized and group learning experiences.
Wasatch Academy Photo #4 - Students that take advantage of the 1 to 1 Learning Services Program at Wasatch Academy learn effective study skills, find hidden character strengths, develop self-advocacy tools, and gain success in the pursuit of academics.
Wasatch Academy Photo #5 - The diverse student body and faculty are more than just a community. They`re friends in the cafeteria sharing a meal. They are advisors offering support after class, and teams of dedicated world citizens emptying the campus-wide recycling bins. Everyone has a place here.
Wasatch Academy Photo #6 - Weekend Recreation options offer close-to-campus activities as well as state-wide adventure. Utah is home to 7 National Monuments, 6 National Forests, 5 National Parks, 45 State Parks, and more. We know all the most popular spots and best-kept secrets. Come explore with us.
Wasatch Academy Photo #7 - The bright and open Studio Arts building features a fully functional darkroom, printmaking equipment, pottery wheels, two types of kilns, and big windows for natural light. The passionate faculty offer courses such as Ceramics, Pottery, Photography, 2D Art and many more. The art emphasis here helps students find their creative voice.
Wasatch Academy Photo #8 - The newest building on campus, the John W. and Elizabeth Lee Engineering Arts Building, is home to robotics, rocketry, engineering, and industrial fabrication. These courses are supported by state-of-the-art equipment such as 3D printers, heavy workshop machinery, and laser cutters. If the students can conceptualize it, they can build it.
Wasatch Academy Photo #9 - The Bernadette and Edward Feeney Music Conservatory is a 13,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility. Originally built in 1922 as the Wasatch Presbyterian Church was expanded in 2015, and now features professional-quality acoustics, soundproof practice rooms, an intimate concert hall, and a fully functional recording studio.
Wasatch Academy Photo #10 - Many of Wasatch Academy`s sports teams are top-ranked in the state, as well as the country. Students have access to state of the art sports facilities and skilled coaches in nearly a dozen different sports, preparing talented athletes to be offered multiple scholarships at D1 universities.
- Founded in 1875, Wasatch Academy is a premier US college preparatory boarding school. The campus is home to students from more than 30 countries and 35 states, providing a unique opportunity for students seeking to be fully immersed in American culture while becoming a part of a global community.
- The courses provided throughout the school year blend project-based learning and a specialized one-on-one educational approach. This approach is proven to prepare students for university, career, and life. Lesson plans are molded to fit each unique student aiming not only to help them understand information, but also to learn invaluable life skills in critical thinking, communication, creativity, and innovation.
- Every student has an advisor that provides academic, social, and personal support. As you grow intellectually and socially, you come to understand yourself, gain confidence in your abilities, and envision the places you will go.
- Living together around the clock with teachers, coaches, dorm parents, and friends allow for an enriching, life-changing experience. Full-time dorm parents regularly teach about making safe, wise decisions, staying healthy, and building good character.
- The clean and safe location of Mount Pleasant, Utah, allows students to focus on academic pursuits during the week and enjoy weekends filled with numerous activities. Students can enjoy Utah`s great outdoor recreation as well as various cultural, recreational, and service-based activities in nearby cities and local areas.
- At Wasatch Academy, students pursue their passions, find their purpose, and discover a sense of who they are.
Wasatch Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Utah for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Support Program offered|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$10,500|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer Experience (six weeks): $10,500 Summer Dash (three-week session): $5,250|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||333 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||51 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language and Composition, Ap English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Mandarin, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S Government and Politics, AP U.S History|
|Average SAT score||1190|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$64,800|
|Tuition Notes||Includes tuition, room, board, and most weekend activities|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jolean Barkdull|
|Admissions Associate||Rebecca Nied|
|Endowment Size||$5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||22 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Cycling,
Fencing, Freestyle Skiing,
Golf, Indoor Soccer,
Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing,
Ski Jumping, Snowboarding,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Debate, International Clubs, Journalism, Math, National Honor Society, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Dance Company, Guitar Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Photography, Robotics, Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Program, Skiing, Snowboarding
- Wasatch Academy is a co-educational community and home to students from more than 30 countries and 35 states. Our specialized style of project-based learning is creative but intensive and focuses on helping every student reach their highest potential.
- The academic opportunities are plenty; the student-to-teacher ratio is 1:10 and over 130 courses are offered in 12 subject areas. Students complete course requirements with a deep content understanding and personal ownership of their learning. They also gain respect for the environment and attain a powerful awareness of how communities are interconnected.
- While at Wasatch Academy, students are given many opportunities to fill their resume with leadership positions, athletic participation, art experience, community service, and much more.
- Students learn personal and global responsibility through engaging classroom discussions, college counseling support, and real-life experiences of helping others inside and outside the school community.
- Wasatch Academy students attend universities such as Standford, Harvard, Duke, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Dartmouth, Caltech, Cornell, Berkely University of California, UCLA, MIT and many more.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Wasatch Academy accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Layton Grades: PK-12 | 401 students
2352 E Highway 193
Layton, UT 84040
(807)771-7141 110.6 PK-12
- Ogden Grades: 9-12 | 170 students
1790 Lake St
Ogden, UT 84401
(801)394-1515 118.3 9-12
- Provo Grades: PK-8 | 122 students
1598 W 820 N
Provo, UT 84601
(801)356-1000 49.9 PK-8
- Provo Grades: 8-12 | 86 students
4501 N University Ave
Provo, UT 84604
(801)227-2000 52.9 8-12
Learn more about Financing Your Kids’ Education in Private School.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.