Waxahachie Preparatory Academy
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Students: 143 students
- Acceptance rate: 98%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Aug. 1 / Jan. 10 / rolling
Academics and Faculty
(khaki pants and WPA shirt)
Finances and Admission
Drama, Journalism/Yearbook Club, Math Pentathalon, National Honor Society, Student Government
- Waxahachie Preparatory Academy is as unique from other schools as children are from each other. WPA allows students more family time, a great sense of community, and flexibility in their school week. "The academics are appropriately challenging and are allowing our students to develop independent study skills with co-teaching supervision from the parents."
- WPA is a NAUMS-Certified University-Model School, a member of the AdvancED accredited corporation NAUMS, and accredited by SACS CASI. WPA was founded on the concept of affording students the benefit of quality professional instruction on campus, while partnering with parents during satellite home instruction. Elementary students attend on-campus classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and are under parental instruction at home on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Secondary students attend classes on-campus on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and continue their studies at home with parental instruction on Tuesday and Thursday.
- The vision of University-Model Schools is to strengthen America's families and values by helping parents prepare college-worthy, character witnesses of Christ for the next generation. This distinctly-Christian educational model gives parents more time to be with their children than do traditional school settings, allowing greater opportunity for parents to impart the faith and values they hold precious. Students from public, private, and home schools alike are being attracted to the model because of its uniquely balanced approach to partnering with parents and preparing students. (NAUMS, University-Model Schools, and all related intellectual property are protected by trademark and used with permission.)
- Whether coming from public, private, or home schools, all families are admitted into University-Model schooling with the understanding that a high degree of parental mentoring will be expected. While it is true that all approaches to education are strengthened when parents are meaningfully involved, the University Model absolutely depends upon it. Without someone who will provide responsible parenting, the success of the student in this model is severely compromised.
- The University-Model approach is certainly not to be considered the only way or the "right" way for everyone. Every family faces different circumstances; therefore, each has a different set of needs. To believe that one educational alternative is right for every family is to believe that every situation is the same. This, of course, is not the case.
- What is University-Model Schooling University-Model Schooling (UMS) is a new educational alternative that, until now, has not been among the typical choices available to parents. Though off-campus parental roles are clearly defined and required in the model, UMS should not be equated with home schooling or home schooling cooperatives. Nor should UMS be understood as traditional classroom education that has simply reduced classroom time. Its significance lies in its ability to effectively utilize parents in partnership with highly qualified professional instructors to gain better academic results, especially among average students. This partnership is facilitated by using a university-type schedule, administrative system, and strong work ethic in age-appropriate ways for the elementary through high school grades. The result is an excellent, well-rounded education with less time in school, less cost for families, increased opportunities for positive parent-child interaction, and improved order and discipline in the classroom. It also results in the successful transition of students directly into college with minimal "culture shock" since they have already experienced a college-simulated work environment at the high school level.
- UMS is designed to bring together the best attributes of traditional schooling with the best attributes of home schooling and integrate them into one model. The immediate goal is quality, cost-effective, college-preparatory education accomplished in a way that gives parents more time for imparting the faith and values they hold precious. The ultimate goal is that of producing wholesome, competent men and women of character who make a positive difference in the next generation. It is also hoped that University-Model Schools, both public and private, can gain nationwide acceptance among parents and educators as a schooling alternative that is needed in every community. (Content from above 4 bullet points used with permission from the book Character Driven College Preparation by Dr. John William Turner, Jr. All content on this school overview is the trademarked property of NAUMS and is used with permission.) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Endorse Waxahachie Preparatory Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards