Welcome to The Wetherill School! Our warm and nurturing early childhood and kindergarten environments have been going strong for almost four decades.
The Wetherill founders` belief in incorporating the best practices of the research and discoveries of several early childhood educators and philosophers, including Maria Montessori, into a rich, diverse, creative curriculum that educates the whole child-cognitively, socially and emotionally, and physically-has been upheld since 1976. Our state certified teachers welcome children in this first school experience and help them explore their world.
Wetherill children learn through creative play using hands-on manipulative materials while learning to express themselves through many different media.
Our teachers are masters of honoring children`s sense of wonder and guiding them toward self-discovery.
Our secluded, peaceful location on a vast wooded property in Gladwyne provides many opportunities for outdoor exploration as well.
Please explore our website to learn more about our philosophy and curriculum and contac tus to schedule a tour.
- School Type: Early Childhood / Day Care
- Grades: Prekindergarten-Kindergarten
- Enrollment: 59 students
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 26%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
3 Mornings (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) $7300 5 Mornings $9525 5 Mornings/3 Afternoons (T, W, TH) $12,995 5 Mornings/5 Afternoons $15,550 Full Day Kindergarten 5 AMs + 5 afternoons $15,580Kindergarten Enrichment 5 afternoons (M-F) $9,300
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Soccer Shots, Young Sports
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Soccer Shots, Young Sports
- Wetherill classrooms are equipped with Montessori and other didactic materials, as well as with a range of art supplies, blocks, and other materials for dramatic play and open-ended creative expression. Children also engage in real-life activities such as cooking and gardening. The curriculum is prepared in a systematic fashion that encourages each child to explore and create at his or her own level of development, gradually refining concepts and perfecting skills.We nurture the creative, social, emotional, and cognitive development of each child both indoors and out through a wide variety of hands-on experiences. Nature study with a specialist from Riverbend Environmental Education Center, small group instruction in Music and Creative Movement, Foreign Language, and special enrichment programs and field trips for Kindergarten students supplement the program.At Wetherill, we recognize that the needs of the young child are best served through close cooperation between parents and teachers. Regular conferences, open observations, use of parent expertise in the classrooms, and parent-run school events all contribute to the school`s family feeling. We also encourage active interchange among parents, staff, and professionals in the field of Early Childhood Education.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the application deadline for Wetherill School?
The application deadline for Wetherill School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
My daughter started at Wetherill 2 months ago after attending school in another country to that point. English is her second language, she had no prior exposure to reading or learning the alphabet, and there was little structure, but she has made such quick academic and personal progress without stress, quickly & happily integrating with the students and curriculum. The teachers & admin really care about the children and parents, even I feel supported by them. She attends " Artivities " and yoga after school 2 days/week and is thriving. I highly recommend Wetherill.
If you're looking for a small school with a warm, friendly, nurturing environment from caring staff then you've found it here. They have a great outdoor space and encourage getting outside. Friendly family scene...check it out!
This is the second year our children are at the Wetherill School, and we have just enrolled them again for next year. As educators and as parents, we love their Multidisciplinary approach, that includes the nurturing aspects of Montessori education combined with a structured learning experience. Our children have thrived at this school, thanks to the encouragement of their dedicated and diligent teachers who have nourished their love of learning. Thankyou to Marie and all the teachers and staff at Wetherill!
We have had a great experience at the Wetherill School with our two children. It is a small, warm, and nurturing environment. The teachers and staff are all wonderful. It is a special place for little ones..
Highest recommendation! Small school flexible feel with friendly teachers, parents and kids. A perfect introduction to school for my 3 kids from pre school to pre K to K. Not pretentious or over the top. Love this school!
A hidden gem. Teachers have been there long term, they love their job and our kids. Have very exciting activiites/academics. Offer French, music, movement and visit each week by Riverbend enviornmental specialist. Work hard to bring out the best in each child. A small teacher/student ratio a big plus. Highly recommend.
Endorse Wetherill School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Making Social Media Work for Your School
An introduction to using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to promote your school.
SEO for Private Schools - Part 3: Using Social Media
Social media for private K-12 schools is a bit different from social media for businesses. Some tips and strategies here.
The Pros and Cons of Teaching Overseas
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.