Abraham Joshua Heschel High School
- The Abraham Joshua Heschel School is an independent school named in memory of one of the great Jewish leaders, teachers, and activists of the 20th century.
- Unaffiliated with any single movement or synagogue, The Heschel School sees as essential the creation of a community with families from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds, practices and beliefs.
- The School is devoted to equal participation—boys and girls, men and women—in all aspects of the School's religious, intellectual and communal life.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to the values and principles that characterized Rabbi Heschel's life: integrity, intellectual exploration, traditional Jewish study, justice, righteousness, human dignity, and holiness.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to fostering a lifelong love of learning.
- It seeks to engender the understanding that the discovery of personal meaning and the growth of individual identity can emerge from the rigors of study.
- The Heschel School seeks to create an ethical learning community that encompasses the children, staff, parents and all those who join in the work of the School.
- The School values both the uniqueness of each individual member and the relationships they form with one another.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to cultivating the spiritual lives of its students along with teaching them the skills to enable them to participate fully in contemporary Jewish life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||882 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||62 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Marsha Feris|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: NS-8 | 146 students
805 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10025
(212) 427-9500 2 NS-8
- New York Grades: NS-8 | 134 students
15 West 86th St
New York, NY 10024
(212) 595-1386 1.4 NS-8
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?