Abraham Joshua Heschel High School
- The Abraham Joshua Heschel School is an independent school named in memory of one of the great Jewish leaders, teachers, and activists of the 20th century.
- Unaffiliated with any single movement or synagogue, The Heschel School sees as essential the creation of a community with families from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds, practices and beliefs.
- The School is devoted to equal participation—boys and girls, men and women—in all aspects of the School's religious, intellectual and communal life.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to the values and principles that characterized Rabbi Heschel's life: integrity, intellectual exploration, traditional Jewish study, justice, righteousness, human dignity, and holiness.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to fostering a lifelong love of learning.
- It seeks to engender the understanding that the discovery of personal meaning and the growth of individual identity can emerge from the rigors of study.
- The Heschel School seeks to create an ethical learning community that encompasses the children, staff, parents and all those who join in the work of the School.
- The School values both the uniqueness of each individual member and the relationships they form with one another.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to cultivating the spiritual lives of its students along with teaching them the skills to enable them to participate fully in contemporary Jewish life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||882 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||62 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Marsha Feris|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-8 | 146 students
805 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10025
(212)427-9500 2 K-8
- New York Grades: NS-8 | 134 students
15 West 86th St
New York, NY 10024
(212)595-1386 1.4 NS-8
Nearby Homes for Sale
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.