Abraham Joshua Heschel High School
- The Abraham Joshua Heschel School is an independent school named in memory of one of the great Jewish leaders, teachers, and activists of the 20th century.
- Unaffiliated with any single movement or synagogue, The Heschel School sees as essential the creation of a community with families from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds, practices and beliefs.
- The School is devoted to equal participation—boys and girls, men and women—in all aspects of the School's religious, intellectual and communal life.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to the values and principles that characterized Rabbi Heschel's life: integrity, intellectual exploration, traditional Jewish study, justice, righteousness, human dignity, and holiness.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to fostering a lifelong love of learning.
- It seeks to engender the understanding that the discovery of personal meaning and the growth of individual identity can emerge from the rigors of study.
- The Heschel School seeks to create an ethical learning community that encompasses the children, staff, parents and all those who join in the work of the School.
- The School values both the uniqueness of each individual member and the relationships they form with one another.
- The Heschel School is dedicated to cultivating the spiritual lives of its students along with teaching them the skills to enable them to participate fully in contemporary Jewish life.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||882 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||62 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Marsha Feris|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-8 | 146 students
805 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10025
(212)427-9500 2 K-8
- New York Grades: NS-8 | 134 students
15 West 86th St
New York, NY 10024
(212)595-1386 1.4 NS-8
Nearby Homes for Sale
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.