5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (713) 266-0920
- Alexander-Smith Academy was founded in 1968. Dedicated to the philosophy of individualized, educational instruction, ASA challenges students and enables them to realize their innate potential.
- Alexander-Smith Academy's mission is to offer a college-preparatory high school education in a relaxed, safe and comfortable environment.
- Students, teachers and advisors achieve an optimum learning atmosphere by working together.
- Treating students as young adults fosters graduates who are equipped to lead productive lives in a complex, pluralistic society.
- ASA's primary goal is to create an environment in which each student can aquire the knowledge necessary to develop intellectual maturity.
- A structured curriculum, which includes Honors and Advanced Placement course levels, is fundamental in achieving this goal, as are the unique five to seven students per class and daily tutorials.
Alexander-Smith Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Texas for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Individualized Educational Plan created for each student with proper documentation.|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||70 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 38%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Number of AP Courses||20 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Algebra I (H), Algebra II (H), AP Calculus AB, AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, AP US Government and Politics, AP US History, Biology I (H), Biology II (H), Chemistry (H), Economics (H), English I (Pre-AP), English II (Pre-AP), Geometry (H), Physics (H), Pre Calculus (H), Spanish I, II, III, IV (H)|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for the 2019-20 school year is $29,500to be remitted in three payments of $9,833.00. : at the time of registration and October 1st and February 1st.|
|Admissions Director||Pamela Rameau - Principal|
|Admissions Associate||Amber Garcia-Rameau|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Book Club, Intramural Basketball Team, Mentoring Minds, National Honor Society, Ping Pong Tournaments, Spanish National Honor Society, Spirit Club, Student Council, Volunteer Service Club, Yearbook|
- We require each student, interested in attending ASA, to schedule an appointment to visit our school with his or her parents. For this appointment the student should bring the most current report card, all transcripts and test scores. Students may be required to take a math and/or writing test to ensure proper placement.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Houston Grades: 1-12 | 350 students
12207 Whittington Dr
Houston, TX 77077
(281) 493-1070 2.9 1-12
- Houston Grades: NS-12 | 90 students
3737 O'Meara Drive
Houston, TX 77025
(713) 993-9544 12.5 NS-12
ASA is THE PERFECT school for students that have a talent or passion for an activity outside school. The student body includes serious athletes, actors, singers and others that make the most of their time away from school. It has been a gift for my daughter, an equestrian, to receive top-notch academic instruction while competing in her sport at a national level. Even though there aren't many sports and clubs provided by the school, I'm going to give the highest rating in each because it gives students the opportunity to pursue sports and other activities more than any other private school in Houston! Thank you ASA!
- Posted by Parent - W Grimes
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.