The Tenney School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (713) 783-6990
- The Tenney School promotes individualized learning and the acquisition of positive attitudes, advanced knowledge, and skills for success.
- The program approach delivers individual student attention, customized instructional approaches, to maximized academic achievement for each student.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||64 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 38%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, English III, English IV, Environmental Science, US History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,750|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Michael Tenney|
- It`s as simple as 1+1. We offer a one student to one teacher ratio. That means your child will receive tailored learning with personalized mentoring, one lesson at a time. We call this, the Power of One.
- The Tenney School creates an enviornment in which students develop their academic skills and work ethic, leading to better performance in school and life. High school students pursue a regular or advanced diploma while the one student : one teacher approach allows individual learning needs and styles to be addressed. Small group classes provide peer interaction and group learning experiences. Beyond courses in english, mathematics, history and science, The Tenney School offers various electives such as Spanish, art, computer and music, college preparation, advanced placement classes are available to qualified students, flexibility in class scheduling can accommodate students with special circumstances.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Houston Grades: 1-12 | 30 students
10600 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77042
(713) 783-7200 1.3 1-12
This school was more than we could have ever hoped for. My son, a quiet child who keeps to himself, was getting lost in public school. We then tried a private Catholic school where his differing beliefs left him alienated by some students and teachers. He began to hate school. We found the Tenney school and were initially worrier about the higher tuition, but we went for an interview. This school makes learning so individualized that there is no way for a child to fall through the cracks. One on one teaching is absolutely amazing and the level of what my son is taking in and remembering is astounding. My son went from making all D's and F's to ALL A's almost immediately. He comes home excited about school and the things he's learned. He's taken up debate and is almost giddy when it's his time to speak. My shy child. The tuition is worth it and so much more. My only regret is that we did not come sooner.
- Posted by Parent - Mrs. Wilson
This is our first year at the Tenney School and we feel very pleased with the structure that the school offers.We are so thankful to the Tenney School for the opportunity they gave my son to be part of them .The school offers the creative environment where children are able to flourish in all areas of their lives. They are supported by masterful teachers and staff to help them face any challenges the kids have .
- Posted by Parent - Martha Molina
Our son recently began the sixth grade and we are very pleased with the difference and happiness we have witnessed after three weeks at Tenney. We believe our son is engaging in school and working on homework during proscribed school time. He seems happier and more relaxed about homework as well as preparing for tests and about going to school. We have found homework and home study time to be manageable allowing us to have more time to relax at home and enjoy being a family. In prior years, he has made A's in school with a lot of homework and parental assistance for test preparation. I believe we are beginning to see that the teachers at Tenney are effectively working with him resulting in his taking more ownership of his schoolwork and generally being happier.We are very pleased with Tenney.
- Posted by Parent - JWG,
The Tenney School faculty do not only provide students with a quality education, they strive to create a healthy and inclusive learning environment for all. The one to one setup allows students to thrive and develop a curiosity for each respective subject. Truly a great school with an amazing community of people.
- Posted by Parent - Mrs. Alfudail
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.