Alsion Middle/high School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Alsion offers a three year program of education especially designed to meet the academic and social needs of adolescents (ages 12 through 15.) While Alsion covers grades 7, 8, and 9, the School has the teaching expertise and resources to advance motivated students well beyond the California standards for these grade levels. Alsion's Early College program enables our students to earn two years of college credit at Ohlone College and a high school diploma from Alsion after 9th grade.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||73 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Environmental Science, AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, AP Statistics,|
|Average SAT score||1450|
|Average ACT score||32|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jun. 30|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,848|
|Tuition Notes||Total cost of attendance (COA) is $20,884 which includes off-site learning and materials|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,400|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Rosemary Petersen|
|Admissions Associate||Yvonne Chavez|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Ultimate Frisbee,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||19 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Orienteering, Speech/debate, Videography|
Club or Organization:
AstroTech (astronomy,aviation,robotics.), Cooking Club, Debate/Speech, Interact Club, Journalism, Junior Solar Sprint Cars, Math Club, Phychology, Running Club, Seedling Society and Gardening, Year Book
Arts and Music Programs:
Art/Adventure, Chess, Digital Photography, Movie Appreciation and Analysis, Voice/Guita
- Team of four full-time and 3 part-time Master Teachers remain with the same class of students during all three years of the program.
- Master teachers are assisted by subject matter specialists.
- Math is taught in ability group tutorials, approximately 6 to 8 per class. Sequence is: Beginning algebra,geometry, algebra 2.
- Science is "hands-on" and project based, taught in 2 hour blocks. Sequence: life science (7th grade),physics & chemistry (8th grade), A.P. Environmental Science (9th grade.)
- Foreign language is Spanish taught by immersion method, 5 days per week for three years. (AP Spanish in 9th grade.)
- Students read and discuss approximately 16 novels per year. Writing assignments are frequent. Some require multiple drafts.
- 9th grade exit exam is California Community College Placement Exam. (Please see "Academic Performance" page on website.
- Many intermural sports: flag football,volleyball, soccer, basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, cross country.
- Fine art, music,ceramics,creative writing.
- Afternoon apprenticeships, community service.
- Annual Natural History Expeditions. (See Methods and Programs" page on website.)
Alsion respects the individual and encourages students to embrace learning. Kids are happy here and there is not a bullying problem. They work hard at academics, teaming, partnering with others on projects, gardening and taking care of animals: chickens in our case. They can move on to Early College High School and graduate with a high school diploma and the equivalent of a 2 year degree recognized by the UC system.
- Posted by Parent - skjar
We are glad you found us. People generally look for Alsion after they have first checked out all the “brand name” schools and still found something lacking. Alsion is a small school, with a full time faculty of five highly qualified teachers serving a junior high community of only 48 students. As you might expect from a school with student/teacher ratio 10 to 1, students receive more personal Historically, three out of four Alsion Early College graduates have been accepted for admission to the University of California. This is an outstanding track record for any school, regardless of its size or reputation.
- Posted by Administrator - leahy
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.