Welcome and thank you for being interested in Alta Vista Montessori School where we have been serving children and families since 1998. Alta Vista Montessori School is accredited by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), which was established in 1929 by Dr. Maria Montessori.
Alta Vista Montessori School is a registered Illinois Private School, a member of the Association of Illinois Montessori Schools (AIMS) and a DCFS Licensed Day Care Center.
Our authentic AMI Montessori approach succeeds in helping each child with the task of inner construction because it draws its principles from the natural development of the child.
Inherent flexibility allows the Method to adapt to the needs of the individual, regardless of the level of ability, learning style, or maturity. Each child is offered a prepared environment that includes a mixed-age group of children, an adult guide (teacher), and specifically designed Montessori educational materials.
The trained guide is an artful organizer of experiences for the child encouraging discovery, process and practice.
Equipped with a rich set of lessons in a variety of curriculum areas, the adults engage in constant and ongoing observation of each child`s abilities and interests.
The Montessori trained guide is constantly responding to these observations with appropriate lessons, encouragement of the child`s concentration, and respect for the child`s natural drive for independence.
"We are located in Winchester Court, halfway between Route 45 and Butterfield Road in the village of Libertyville, Illinois.
Many students come from Libertyville and the nearby communities of Mundelein, Vernon Hills, Gurnee and Grayslake; others travel from as far as Waukegan, Round Lake or Hawthorn Woods.
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 34%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Summer Program Cost Notes
National avg.: 85%
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Art, Fitness, Tae Kwon Do
- Children five months or five years of age have already embarked on a journey from which they are learning great lessons, those that are traditionally academic and those that will shape their personality and character.
- At Alta Vista:
- We help our students to learn and understand the world, so that one day they'll know how to make it a better place for themselves and others.
- We emphasize an academic curriculum that focuses on how we learn and not what we learn to develop a lifelong love for learning and the skills to do so.
- We foster independence, self-direction, and responsibility to empower them to follow the life of their own choosing.
- We model collaboration, cooperation and helpfulness to inspire them to live a life of service and peace.
- Following authentic Montessori practices, our classes are mixed-aged, which is the ideal setting for peer teaching, role modeling, honing leadership, and building a strong sense of community. Our experienced teachers engage the children in specially prepared classrooms using a stimulating curriculum at each level. Everything in the classroom is designed to meet the developmental needs and interests of the children. There is no limit to what children can learn, and they are able to advance through the curriculum as quickly as they are ready, without being limited by the progress of their peers. Our Montessori materials have been researched and scientifically developed as well as tested in classrooms for over 100 years all over the world. Our teachers take great care in preparing the environment; materials are arranged sequentially, children have comfortable work space, and there is freedom of physical movement.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are Alta Vista Montessori School often compared to?
Alta Vista Montessori Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like A Village Green Montessori by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Alta Vista Montessori School?
The acceptance rate of Alta Vista Montessori School is 80%, which is lower than the national average of 91%. Alta Vista Montessori School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Illinois with low acceptance rates.
What is Alta Vista Montessori School's ranking?
Alta Vista Montessori School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Illinois for: Lowest average acceptance rates.
When is the application deadline for Alta Vista Montessori School?
The application deadline for Alta Vista Montessori School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Our family has had the wonderful fortune of being a part of the Alta Vista community for the past 5 years. Our oldest daughter just graduated from Kindergarten, and she is reading chapter books, doing division, and very independent. She started in the toddler classroom when she was almost 2, and over the past 4 years in the primary classroom, it has been amazing to watch her grow and develop. She is a naturally shy girl, and this year in her Kindergarten year, it was unbelievable to watch how much she bloomed. Our 2nd daughter also started in the toddler community, when she was only 16 months old. She is now also in a primary classroom, and although she just turned 4, she is reading! Our daughters are very different, but it has been amazing to see how much Alta Vista has been the perfect fit for both of them. I can't say enough about the teachers, assistants, and the director at this school. Each of the teachers is compassionate, caring, loving, and excellent Montessori educators. We would never have entrusted the phenomenal job of educating and caring for our two older children to a school for five years if we were not happy with the program. Alta Vista has not just prepared our children for a great start in elementary school, but it has prepared them for a wonderful start in life. We feel blessed every day to have found Alta Vista. We just had a baby, and can't wait for him to start in the toddler room - we''re counting the months until he gets the opportunity to be at this wonderful school!
Endorse Alta Vista Montessori School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
The Evolution of Early Reading Strategies for Children
Explore the journey of early reading strategies from the 17th century to the present day, uncovering the evolution of tools, methods, and technologies that have shaped how children learn to read. This article delves into the historical milestones and contemporary approaches that offer a fascinating look at literacy development in children.
The Evolution of School Choice: A Focus on Vouchers
Explore the history and evolution of school choice, focusing on vouchers. This article provides an in-depth analysis of vouchers' origins, growth, benefits, and criticisms as part of the broader school choice movement, along with a look at current trends and future outlook.
August 11, 2023Admissions Matters: Following Up, The Competition, & Deadlines
Navigating the complex landscape of private high school admissions requires expertise and insight. This article delves into essential areas that every school should master: inquiry follow-up, standing out in a competitive market, and choosing between rolling admissions and fixed admissions deadlines.