- Aquinas Montessori is an established private school of 52 years. The campus is located in a suburban setting near Mount Vernon, VA on a large parcel of land where children play and garden.
- The school has fully equipped Montessori classrooms, a library, a playground, a small soccer field, a garden and a heated swimming pool which children enjoy from mid-April till mid-October as weather allows.
- Swimming lessons are offered on regular basis. Aquinas Montessori school is AMI (Association Montessori Internationale) "Associated" for ages 3 to 6+ and "Recognized" for ages 6 to 12.
- We are committed to providing an environment where children learn freedom and responsibility, choice and structure, creativity and discipline, and the skills necessary to combine individual interests with group cooperation.
- Aquinas Montessori is a non-sectarian school and we admit all children regardless of race, creed, color or origin.
- Ages 3 to 6: There are three primary classes for children from 3 to 6 at the Aquinas Montessori School.
- The primary curriculum is a fully comprehensive three year program where the child learns to compare, classify and clarify the world around them.
- Materials and curriculum center around Practical Life, Sensorial Explorations, Language, Math, Geography, History, Biology, Science, Art, Music, Drama, and Dance.
- Ages 6 to 9 and 9 to 12: The elementary level consists of three classes which continue the development of the child, two classes for children ages 6 to 9 (Lower Elementary level), and one class for children ages 9 to 12 (Upper Elementary level).
- The curriculums at these levels are expanded as widely as possible to enkindle interest in every area of Culture, Mathematics, Geometry, Language, Latin, History, Geography, Botany, Zoology, Earth Science, Chemistry, Physics, Art, Music, Crafts, Drama, and Physical Education.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association Montessori International (AMI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||128 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
- At the Aquinas Montessori School children find learning is a lifelong process, a journey of discovery, rather than a matter of completing assignments.They begin to realize that they love to learn.While the primary aged child, from age three to six may ask the adult, "Help me do it myself" the elementary child asks, "Help me think of it myself" each child's individual needs are addressed.With a directress trained for children age six to twelve, children progress at their own level.Those who are academically gifted can soar while those who need more repetition have access to many avenues of mastering a skill. Children's different learning styles are nurtured.Kinesthetic, auditory and visual methods are easily integrated into the presentation of the curriculum.Abstract concepts become clearly understood with the help of ingenious pieces of manipulative equipment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlexandriaGrades: PK-5 | 97 students
6300 Florence Ln
Alexandria, VA 22310
Mc LeanGrades: PK-6 | 239 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 275 students
3700 Burgundy Road
Alexandria, VA 22303
WaldorfGrades: PK-6 | 51 students
6008 Hampshire Cir
Waldorf, MD 20603
AlexandriaGrades: K-8 | 205 students
2400 Russell Rd
Alexandria, VA 22301
Having had children enrolled in Aquinas for 4 years now, our opinion is that the school provides a safe environment and reasonable opportunities for children with mediocre ability. I would recommend other options for gifted children, but for an average child, it is an okay choice.
- Posted by Parent - kagey
The teachers at Aquinas all have Bachelors, Masters of Education and AMI degrees. Most of them have had other work experiences that add to the richness of the classrooms. The Arts are a large part of the class curriculum; there is a musical produced every year as well as several concerts. The PE program follows the Presidential Physical Education Program. Yoga, piano and cello are offered after school. It was a very well rounded experience for my family. However, the high caliber of academics throughout the school was what attracted us and we were not disappointed.
- Posted by Parent - foste
May 15, 2017
Many famous children have attended private schools. Here is a sampling of schools and the famous folk who graced their hallowed halls.
May 11, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.
May 11, 2017
Learn more about the Private School Review "Ultimate Admissions Checklist," with top-flight tips from leading minds in education.