- Ascension School has been serving the Upper West Side and Manhattan Valley communities for over 100 years.
- As part of the Church of the Ascension and the Archdiocese of New York, we are committed to the providing the best in education, so our students can grow spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, and physically.
- Our community is diverse and we strive to meet the needs of the many different families who entrust to us their children.
- Ascension school offers one of the top Early Childhood Education (PreK) programs in New York City and continues our mission of spiritual and academic formation through Grade 8.
- Many of our graduates go on to the City's top Catholic High Schools.
- We thank you for your interest in Ascension School! Please read on for more information about our programs.
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||289 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies depending on the grade the student is in.|
|Admissions Director||Christopher McMahon|
|Admissions Associate||William Moran|
- Ascension School is a Roman Catholic educational community committed to exploring and developing the spiritual, intellectual and social potential of our children who are welcomed from diverse religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Through our integrative, values based approach, we cultivate compassion, acceptance of others, critical thinking, and social awareness while fostering a life-long passion of learning. Founded in 1911, under the supervision of the Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Vincent and the De La Salle Brothers, our school continues to this day to serve young children in the city with quality education rooted in the Catholic Faith. Our religious education provides insights and experiences that allow each student, in light of individual needs, learning styles, and academic differences, to practice love of neighbor, responsibility towards community and sharing of self. Cognizant of the uniqueness of each learner as a person created in the image and likeness of God, we aim to help all our children reach their potential through wide-ranging programs in the major disciplines, art, music, dance, and physical education, that explore and develop their unique talents. The NY State Standards, Archdiocesan Guidelines Essential Learnings are implemented with the aid of technology and a wide variety of age-appropriate teaching strategies and rich instructional materials.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 277 students
146 W 13th St
New York, NY 10011
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 250 students
456 W 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
New YorkGrades: KG-12 | 646 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 587 students
210 E 77th Street
New York, NY 10075
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 336 students
202 W 97th St
New York, NY 10025
I graduated from Ascension School in 1944 and shortly thereafter moved to upstate NY where I lived for the next 25 years and for the last 45 years have lived in PA. All four of our children attended Parochial grammar and high schools. I loved Ascension School and will never forget it and was happy to see that it is still operating. We had 65 girls in our classroom and were taught by one Sister of Charity who taught every subject. I still remember many things we had to memorize, including parts of the catechism, poetry, history, etc. We didn't need computers...we had good teachers. We put on plays and all attended Mass together every Sunday and many sang in the choir. God bless everyone at Ascension and keep up the good work.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - ritam
May 15, 2017
Many famous children have attended private schools. Here is a sampling of schools and the famous folk who graced their hallowed halls.
May 11, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.
May 11, 2017
Learn more about the Private School Review "Ultimate Admissions Checklist," with top-flight tips from leading minds in education.