Ascension School has been serving the Upper West Side and Manhattan Valley communities for over 100 years.
As part of the Church of the Ascension and the Archdiocese of New York, we are committed to the providing the best in education, so our students can grow spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, and physically.
Our community is diverse and we strive to meet the needs of the many different families who entrust to us their children.
Ascension school offers one of the top Early Childhood Education (PreK) programs in New York City and continues our mission of spiritual and academic formation through Grade 8.
Many of our graduates go on to the City's top Catholic High Schools.
We thank you for your interest in Ascension School! Please read on for more information about our programs.
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 259 students
- Yearly Tuition: $6,000
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Tuition varies depending on the grade the student is in.
- Ascension School is a Roman Catholic educational community committed to exploring and developing the spiritual, intellectual and social potential of our children who are welcomed from diverse religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Through our integrative, values based approach, we cultivate compassion, acceptance of others, critical thinking, and social awareness while fostering a life-long passion of learning. Founded in 1911, under the supervision of the Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Vincent and the De La Salle Brothers, our school continues to this day to serve young children in the city with quality education rooted in the Catholic Faith. Our religious education provides insights and experiences that allow each student, in light of individual needs, learning styles, and academic differences, to practice love of neighbor, responsibility towards community and sharing of self. Cognizant of the uniqueness of each learner as a person created in the image and likeness of God, we aim to help all our children reach their potential through wide-ranging programs in the major disciplines, art, music, dance, and physical education, that explore and develop their unique talents. The NY State Standards, Archdiocesan Guidelines Essential Learnings are implemented with the aid of technology and a wide variety of age-appropriate teaching strategies and rich instructional materials.
Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Ascension School cost?
Ascension School's tuition is approximately $6,000 for private students.
What is Ascension School's ranking?
Ascension School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for: Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Ascension School?
The application deadline for Ascension School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
I graduated from Ascension School in 1944 and shortly thereafter moved to upstate NY where I lived for the next 25 years and for the last 45 years have lived in PA. All four of our children attended Parochial grammar and high schools. I loved Ascension School and will never forget it and was happy to see that it is still operating. We had 65 girls in our classroom and were taught by one Sister of Charity who taught every subject. I still remember many things we had to memorize, including parts of the catechism, poetry, history, etc. We didn't need computers...we had good teachers. We put on plays and all attended Mass together every Sunday and many sang in the choir. God bless everyone at Ascension and keep up the good work.
Endorse Ascension School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Examining the Current State of Vouchers in Arizona
This comprehensive article explores the current state of voucher programs in Arizona, examining the relevant state laws, pros and cons, and their impact on education. Gain authoritative insights into the Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA) program, equity concerns, and the ongoing debate surrounding educational choice in Arizona.
Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.