Bishop Denis J O'Connell High School
5.00 (1 review)
- Bishop O'Connell High School is a Catholic coeducational community located in Arlington, Virginia.
- The spiritual atmosphere is enriched by the presence of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
- Our mission is to provide students an education rooted in the life of Christ and to foster the pursuit of excellence in the whole person.
- We believe in the full development of the human person, including the spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical aspects of one's being.
- Commitment to academic excellence is an integral part of our identity as a Catholic school.
- We believe that students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process, and when each student has appropriate opportunities for success.
- We believe that student self-esteem is enhanced by positive relationships and mutual respect among and between students and faculty; that students thrive in a supportive yet stimulating climate which affirms the dignity of all persons; and that we are called to educate students of diverse economic, cultural, religious, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
Bishop Denis J O'Connell High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Muller Academic Services Program for students with documented learning disabilities|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1994|
|Total Students||1180 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||110 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||28 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Art/Drawing, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Political Systems, Computer Science, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Latin, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Modern European History, Music Theory, Physics B, Physics C (E &M), Physics C (Mechanical), Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, United States Government, United States History,|
|Average SAT score||1220|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Fall/Spring Casual; Winter more formal with jacket)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 11|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,900|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies based on whether the student is Catholic|
|Admissions Director||Michael Cresson|
|Admissions Associate||Kathryn Haas|
|Total Sports Offered||21 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
- A Catholic co-educational community since 1957
- Small class sizes with teachers who care
- Financial assistance available
- Convenient location with bus transportation provided (walking distance from East Falls Church Metro)
- 70 different Clubs that students participate in
- Dual Enrollment Courses available through Marymount University
- One of a kind Global Studies Program
- Project Lead the Way Engineering Curriculum
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 803 students
201 Cambridge Road
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703)751-7606 7.4 9-12
- Fairfax Grades: 9-12 | 1010 students
10675 Fairfax Blvd
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703)352-0925 8.6 9-12
- Alexandria Grades: PK-12 | 1133 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703)212-2730 6.3 PK-12
Great Academic Program Outstanding Teachers Excellent Coaches
- Posted by Parent - billy
Nearby Homes for Sale
Test your knowledge of private school facts and trivia with these twenty-one questions and answers.
As you research schools, check the national and state associations. Is the school you are considering a member? If not, why not?
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.