5.00 (5 reviews)
- Bixby School is a progressive school in South Boulder that serves preschool through 5th grade children and their families since 1970. Our mission is to compassionately empower children to develop their individual gifts and prepare them to make meaningful contributions to the world.
- Bixby School has a strong sense of community and a long tradition of fostering curiosity in our students and collaborating with families in their educational journeys. PLEASE SEE OUR WEBSITE FOR CURRENT INFORMATION: www.bixbyschool.org.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Independent Private Schools Association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$425|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||See website for current fees|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||127 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,058|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Bryan Librizzi, Assistant Head of School|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurricular|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Recreational Athletic Programs:|
- We Are Bixby and deliver our mission by-Deeply knowing and loving every student as a complete and whole human being.Giving every student what s/he needs through a customized educational experience.Teaching rigorous academic skills through meaningful activities and inquiry-based learning, which fosters critical thinking, compassion, curiosity, creativity, and collaboration. Academic growth is realized through a non-graded, non-competitive setting where children are intrinsically motivated to learn.Nurturing student agency and social responsibility.Learning by doing; we encourage children to take risks and use mistakes as opportunities for growth.Cultivating joy, vulnerability, movement, self-discovery, and adventure in each of our students and in the wider community.Providing challenges that promote each child`s intellectual, social/emotional, athletic, and artistic growth and the maximization of his/her potential. Bixby`s curriculum is informed by research and guided by Colorado State Standards, though our teachers have flexibility in how they reach those benchmarks.Fostering independence through an intentional balance of freedom and responsibility.Empowering committed, passionate, world-class educators to respond nimbly to what is best for their students.Offering a unique elementary schedule with small instructional groups and teachers who are experts in their subject areas.Caring about and connecting with parents to promote engagement and to protect family time: community events, morning greetings, open doors and open hearts, chef-prepared lunches, minimal homework in upper grades, swimming, artist-in-residence, music, sports, foreign language, whole-year/full-day unparalleled care for children.Serving a diverse population of children who are gifted, twice exceptional, typically developing, and those with mild to moderate learning challenges; we are not able to serve students who have significant behavioral or social/emotional challenges.Fostering a small and compelling community that is intentionally safe, inclusive, and authentic.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Boulder Grades: NS-8 | 176 students
5465 Pennsylvania Ave
Boulder, CO 80303
(303)499-1999 1.6 NS-8
- Denver Grades: NS-8 | 699 students
55 Clermont St
Denver, CO 80220
(303)399-8361 24.6 NS-8
Many schools are just now discovering what Bixby has known for almost 50 years; that kids love to learn, and that partnering with adults to discover their own passions, strengths, and journey is more effective than simply having academic content imparted to them. A paragraph of words can't portray the school-- you really have to see it to believe what they're doing there. After seeing Bixby, many parents say the same thing: "wow, this is the school I wish I had gone to". The program quality is extremely high, teachers are amazing, facilities are unique and extensive (you won't believe the play structures-- I don't think there's anything like them anywhere else in the county, maybe even the state-- Bixby takes play seriously!!) Music, art, and swimming are all part of the curriculum.
- Posted by Parent - Stephanie
Bixby School is more than a school; it's a community. The faculty and staff are extremely dedicated to their career, and it shows in the level of attention that is afforded each and every student. Children feel heard and respected, in a supportive and safe environment. My son has flourished under their wing. Bixby School is far and above the best primary school I've encountered. Lifelong Bixby supporter!
- Posted by Parent - KelleyP
Bixby is wonderful! All 3 of my kids have LOVED going to school there. My oldest just entered middle school and was really well prepared by his Bixby experience. He knows how to think critically and deeply in addition to all the usual academic skills. His two younger siblings are still thriving at Bixby. They love all the hands on work. The teachers are superb and really get to know each student deeply. The relationships are key. We love Bixby!
- Posted by Parent - KimH
This school has instilled a lifelong love for learning in me. I had some of the best teachers here. I have returned to campus and have to say it is still the most incredible school and community!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - johnj
This school is a gem! Engaged students who learn deeply and are challenged and nurtured at the same time. This school has been in Boulder since 1970 and many alumni still return to the school or send their children here. The school is in my opinion unmatched in program strength, community and student-centered best practices! A must see!
- Posted by Parent - pfjar
Choosing the right private school for your child involves comparing schools as opposed to ranking them.
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.