Brookwood Christian Language School
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (678) 401-5855
Brookwood Christian Language School Photo #2 - One of our students at the State Senate meeting declaring 2/28 chromosome x & y variation day.
Brookwood Christian Language School Photo #3 - Balloon Release in memory of Founding Partner and Board Member, Nov 2016
Brookwood Christian Language School Photo #4 - Brookwood Christian School... a.k.a. "The Little Red Schoolhouse"
Brookwood Christian Language School Photo #7 - Students dressed up for 50's day while studying the 50's in US History.
Brookwood Christian Language School Photo #8 - Students receiving Arbor Day poster competition awards at City Hall!
- Brookwood Christian Language School is specializing in language based learning disabilities.
- Class size of 7 or less. Full time school offering all subjects.
- Wilson reading classes and tutoring are available for students with dyslexia. Research based curriculum and methods are used.
- Brookwood Christian named a 2019 Top Small Business of the Year! - 05/06/2019 - The Cobb Chamber of Commerce named Brookwood Christian a 2019 Top 25 Small Business of the Year at the Chamber`s First Monday Breakfast on May 6, 2019*, for its remarkable ...moreinnovation, sound approach to organizational challenges and positive impact on the community. hide
- Principal Kim Wigington to receive prestigious award. - 03/13/2018 - Principal Kim Wigington has been selected by the International Dyslexia Association, Georgia Branch (IDA-GA) to receive this year`s Leadership in Literacy Award. IDA-GAs Leadership in Literacy Award recognizes a ...moreschool administrator who has shown leadership in developing literacy in his/her school or school system within the state of Georgia.
Kim has demonstrated:
outstanding leadership through the development of effective reading programs,
the support of excellent teacher training and professional development
significant gains in student reading achievement, and
the engagement of parents in school/home cooperative ventures to support literacy.
Kim will be honored at IDA-GA`s Dimensions of Dyslexia Conference to be held at Georgia Tech Research Institute in Atlanta on March 24, 2018, for her dedicated service to education and outstanding efforts to promote and encourage student reading achievement. hide
- Principal Kim Wigington named Acworth Citizen of the Year by Cobb County Chamber of Commerce - 12/15/2016 - Brookwood Christian School Principal, Kim Wigington, has been named Acworth Citizen of the Year by the Cobb County Chamber of Commerce. As Chair of the Downtown Development Authority, her leadership ...morehas provided a vision to support prosperity and growth for downtown businesses and citizens in the Acworth community. hide
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children|
Georgia Accrediting Commission
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language/Information Processing disorders such as Dyslexia, Auditory Processing, etc.|
|Total Students||55 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Number of AP Courses||5 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP Statistics, AP US History, Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, Latin, Precalculus|
|Average ACT score||21|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(comfort and modesty)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,500|
|Tuition Notes||$500 non-refundable registration/enrollment fee which is applied toward tuition if paid by the registration deadline. After the deadline it will be an additional charge.Applications for financial aid are due April 1, 2020|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$9,300|
|Admissions Director||Terri Whitehurst|
|Admissions Associate||Danielle Anderson|
- We are a private, non-profit school that serves students who have not been successful in public or private schools due to their unique learning needs. Many of our students have been diagnosed with a language based learning disability such as dyslexia. Students typically have an IQ ranging from low average to gifted accompanied with various individual or multiple learning disorders such autism spectrum disorder, attention deficit disorder, neurological disorder, and other specific learning disabilities. Our curriculum is specialized and tailored to compensate for or overcome these learning disorders.
- We use Wilson Reading, a program based on Orton Gillingham methods which uses a multi-sensory, systematic approach to phonemic instruction, spelling, and reading comprehension. Handwriting is taught with Handwriting without Tears, a curriculum developed by an Occupational Therapist.
- English Language Learners may choose to transition into another school or graduate from BCLS. Transitional students are given the opportunity to learn to speak, read, and write English before enrolling in a traditional school.
- Personal daily attention is given to each student to improve the student`s low attention span and to provide an environment in which our students can adjust to a normal competitive classroom situation and to help them qualify for future post secondary education and independent living.
- Most of our operating budget comes from tuition payments augmented by the Georgia SB-10 scholarship program. This program allows students who have attended public school to seek alternative help from schools like ours.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kennesaw Grades: 4-12 | 100 students
1291 Stanley Rd Nw
Kennesaw, GA 30152
(770) 427-0147 7.1 4-12
- Roswell Grades: 4-12 | 257 students
700 Grimes Bridge Road
Roswell, GA 30075
(770) 641-8688 20 4-12
I can not say enough about Brookwood Christian Academy!! It has saved my son's education and self confidence. It has Far surpassed my exceptions and continues to do so! The staff and teachers are so kind and loving that my son feels like they are family. They truly care about him not just educationally, but for his well being too! It's also a bonus that all the students are very close and treat it other with kindness and respect! I look forward to my son continuing his education all the way to graduation at Brookwood!
- Posted by Parent - Anna
In every great story, there is a comeback. As a mother of a child with numerous learning differences, I have been searching for the beginning of my child`s comeback story. I tried public school IEPs, homeschool, tutoring and another private school to no avail. When I met Kim, the founder of Brookwood Christian school, she had a quiet confidence about her that I could trust. My daughter has found a loving, safe environment with highly qualified teachers, like Kristen, Nadiya and Julie, who invest in my child on a daily basis. She moved from self-identifying as a non-reader to reading books like The Babysitter`s Club. She still has more work ahead of her, but she is taught the way her brain learns. She moved from being someone who hates math to smiling when she speaks of her success with her latest lesson. I can speak as a parent with full confidence that 1 year ago when my child started at Brookwood Christian school, her comeback story began. As a parent who has faced school days with anxiety, I can confidently drop her off knowing she is getting evidence-based interventions with Wilson Reading and FastForward to name just a few, as well as therapeutic art lessons to help her develop her fine motor skills, eye hand coordination and flex her creative muscles. Last years testing confirmed what I already knew, the intervention and environment was working! I would like to encourage parents to help their children to stop struggling and start thriving. Come check out Brookwood Christian School. This school is one of the best decision I have ever made for my child!
- Posted by Parent - Courtney B.
My child started attending Brookwood Christian this school year. She tutored throughout the school year and summer leading up to this year. The resources available, understanding of my child's individual needs, and the empowerment that has been instilled in her during this process have been outstanding. The school Director and staff clearly have a love and passion for ensuring success for each student. For that past 3 1/2 years, I have been discouraged, in tears, and unaware of how to unlock the knowledge that I know is inside my child. My child truly feels a sense of belonging and hope that I have not seen in her. Excited to wake for school, energetic to share what she has learned at the end of the day. If your child is dyslexic, I STRONGLY encourage you to look into BC. If you are a resource for the school, I thank and appreciate you for supporting this school and encourage other resources you may know to support the development of young minds at this amazing school!
- Posted by Parent - HappyParent2
I just cannot say enough wonderful things about this school. My son has auditory processing disorder and was unable to learn to read in public schools. No matter how hard he worked he just couldn't get it. I picked my son up from school one day and asked him if he got to make an eclipse t-shirt in his class. He told me no, because he was stupid and had to be pulled out for stupid classes. That was my breaking point. I knew my son was not stupid and could learn to read with the proper help. We found Brookwood Christian School online but were apprehensive since it was an hour and a half away from our house. When we visited Brookwood and met with the principal and staff we knew this was where my son belonged. They were familiar with his learning disability and knew how to help him. On his shadow day he brought home a completed assignment! I couldn't believe my eyes!! My son started at Brookwood Christian School on 9/15/2017. He was immediately placed in the schools reading programs, FastForword and Wilson Reading. Within two weeks my son read a whole sentence to his class!! By three weeks, he was reading three letter words!!! He has been at Brookwood for 2 months now and is reading big words like branch and shopping!! He was able to find a DVD last week by reading a title! I love watching my son read and the pride on his face when he finishes a story!!! The reward far out-weighs the 3 hours a day that we spend in the car. This school has changed his life and I am forever grateful.
- Posted by Parent - Julie B.
Brookwood Christian continues to be the answer to many tears and prayers for my daughters. Both of them were diagnosed with different Learning Disabilities that effected how they learned in a public school atmosphere. Through Brookwood's curriculum and the outstanding teaching staff, they are now thriving Freshmen and succeeding in school. Each staff member is invested in the children, and strives to provide a caring and compassionate learning atmosphere. I would highly recommend Brookwood Christian to any parent whose child is struggling in the traditional school atmosphere.
- Posted by Parent - Jan Murphy
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.