Cape Henry Collegiate
- Cape Henry Collegiate School provides Prekindergarten through Grade Twelve coeducational, college preparatory education that fosters the growth of the individual.
- This process takes place in a nurturing environment in which the individual`s self-esteem and self-confidence are enhanced through close contact with a caring and dedicated faculty. We believe that the educational process is a cooperative endeavor among a diverse body of students, parents and faculty who together embark on a continuous learning process.
- Cape Henry Collegiate School encourages each student to develop talents and interests as an independent-minded person within the structure of the school community.
- Students are encouraged to engage in purposeful education preparing them for responsibilities and challenges of the future.
- In doing so, members of the Cape Henry student body will experience the discipline and excitement of academics, the pride of developing personal character and integrity in a learning environment governed by an Honor Code, the creative opportunities provided by the arts and extra-curricular activities, the rigor and pleasure of athletics, an awareness of and involvement with the community in which they live, and a respect for its diversity with the ultimate goal of placing responsible and educated citizens into our society.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||947 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||120 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rates vary by division. Please see: http://capehenrycollegiate.org/admissions/financial|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
|Admissions Director||Brooke Hummel|
|Admissions Associate||Angie Finley|
|Endowment Size||$16 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- Located on a 30-acre campus in a residential area within five miles of the Atlantic Ocean, Cape Henry Collegiate serves nearly 850 students representing the entire Hampton Roads community. Established in 1924 as the Everett School, today Cape Henry Collegiate is the oldest accredited Prekindergarten through Grade 12, college-preparatory, coeducational, independent, day school in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS), and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and is recognized as an accredited school by the Virginia Board of Education.
- The academically challenging curriculum is responsive to each child's needs and is supported by a strong honor code. There is a 10-to-1, student-to-teacher ratio, and the educational process is a cooperative endeavor among students, parents, and faculty. This process not only prepares the student for college study, but also supports self-esteem and a love of learning. The Lower School strives to develop self-esteem and to build a sense of responsibility toward others. It encourages independent thinking within a solid academic foundation.
- The Middle and Upper Schools provide students with the skills, attitudes, and character development they need to succeed in competitive colleges and universities. Advanced Placement, and Honors classes are available in all disciplines in the Upper School. There is a dress code and community service requirement, all of which foster an environment necessary for the education and enrichment of the child as a social being.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Virginia BeachGrades: PK-12 | 219 students
1537 Laskin Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- NorfolkGrades: 1-12 | 1209 students
1585 Wesleyan Dr
Norfolk, VA 23502
- NorfolkGrades: PK-12 | 701 students
7336 Granby St
Norfolk, VA 23505
- ChesapeakeGrades: NS-12 | 686 students
1217 N. Centerville Tnpk. and 1861 Kempsville Road, VaBch
Chesapeake, VA 23320
- ChesapeakeGrades: PK-12 | 640 students
311 Kempsville Rd
Chesapeake, VA 23320
We love Cape Henry Collegiate! Its a wonderful environment, nurturing and supportive. We love the small class sizes, the academic studies, and the teachers! Couldn't be happier!
- Posted by Parent - kelly
Cape Henry Collegiate is exceptional in academics, athletics, and in numerous other extracurricular activities available. Twenty-one AP course are offered as well as a Global Scholars Program for interested students. The faculty are superb and truly care about each student. My son loves CHC, and we are so appreciative of the tremendous education that he is receiving. I can't say enough positive words about the school-- it is worth every penny of the tuition!
- Posted by Parent - herob
I have two children at Cape Henry and both eagerly go to school every day! They are excited to learn and come home zealous to share stories of their day! I am proud to be a Cape Henry parent and to be a part of this wonderful family. CHCS is a big school with so many opportunities, yet all faculty and staff know you and welcome you with a smile every day. All teachers and staff are passionate about what they do so I know that each day my children set foot on campus they are nurtured academically, socially, and emotionally.
- Posted by Parent - dhthe
I am the father of two Cape Henry Dolphins and this school has been a gift to my family. This is a welcoming place where students are known and pushed to achieve to their greatest potential. Cape Henry has a globally focused mindset and the Nexus Global Studies program is the leading program of its kind in the country. This school is an awesome place for your kids to grow up and a gem in the heart of Virginia Beach.
- Posted by Parent - paulh
I am a grandparent of a child at Cape Henry Collegiate and every time I walk into the school I feel so fortunate that my grandson is a part of such a safe, welcoming, and amazing community. He goes to school excited and comes home teaching all of us many new things!
- Posted by Parent - trish