Norfolk Collegiate School
5.00 (5 reviews)
MakerLabs allow students and teachers age-appropriate spaces to explore the world of STEM using items such as Ozobots (shown here) to code. There are three age-appropriate spaces on the campuses.
Competitive athletic program offer students year-round opportunities to pursue their passions. With more than 50 teams in middle and upper school alone, the athletic program offers something for all students from sailing to tennis to basketball and more! Collegiate holds several conference, state and regional championship titles!
- The mission of Norfolk Collegiate School is to develop critical thinkers, doers and explorers through innovative, engaging instruction in an inclusive and supportive learning community.
- Each student learns through innovative teaching within a warm and caring community. Norfolk Collegiate teachers are devoted not only to their students, but also to student-engaged instruction.
- Balancing college-preparatory curricula with innovative techniques distinguishes our school from others.
- Blending group projects, service learning, interdisciplinary studies, 1:1 technology, small classes and challenging courses gives our students the experiences, motivation and tools to succeed.
- At the Lower School, students find an atmosphere where learning is irresistible and curiosity is encouraged.
- During these formative years, the foundations for lifelong learning are established.
- When students enter our middle school program, they are taught to meet life's challenges with an engaging and innovative curriculum, utilizing creative problem solving.
- With more than 20 Advanced Placement courses and our signature AP Capstone Program, the upper school prepares our students for the academic rigors of college and beyond.
- The pre-kindergarten through 12th-grade program does far more than challenge students academically.
- The school guides and encourages young people to build on their own strengths to meet the challenges of the classroom and to develop attitudes and habits that bring success in school, in college and throughout their lives.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||701 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||55 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $10,800 for pre-k to $19,900 for upper school. Financial grants are available for need-based families.|
|Admissions Director||Mary Peccie|
|Admissions Associate||Dr. John Bain|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
- The mission of Norfolk Collegiate School is to develop critical thinkers, doers and explorers through innovative, engaging instruction in an inclusive and supportive learning community. The school provides a high quality, college preparatory education designed for above average and average ability students. Academic growth takes place in an atmosphere of warmth and concern for each student. Independent and critical thinking as well as a desire for lifelong learning are essential to the academic development of each student. Students will demonstrate a personal commitment to moral excellence, including responsibility, integrity, respect and fairness toward others, and honesty in both academic and personal lives.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- NorfolkGrades: 1-12 | 1209 students
1585 Wesleyan Dr
Norfolk, VA 23502
- NorfolkGrades: PK-12 | 722 students
255 Thole St
Norfolk, VA 23505
- Newport NewsGrades: PK-12 | 655 students
739 Academy Lane
Newport News, VA 23602
- Virginia BeachGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
1320 Mill Dam Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
- Virginia BeachGrades: K-12 | 108 students
821 Baker Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
The way you want school to be!!!!!! Happy empowered teachers challenging kids in a variety of learning environments. Small classes (20 or less THRU high school). Children gives choices in assignments to fit their learning style. PE everyday. Awesome healthy lunches. Great resource and elective classes. Nurturing environment where teachers are accessible and stay in touch. Can't say enough great things. The school keeps getting better and better.
- Posted by Parent - Nouch
My son is in 6th grade at Norfolk Collegiate and my husband and I are so pleased. The transition from elementary school to middle school has been so smooth. The teachers are great! They''re really teaching him to think critically and take responsibility for his own work and time management. We love the school sports program and it's so great that they include 6th graders. I really enjoy getting to know the other parents. They''re such a great support network
- Posted by Parent - hairp
Tremendous school, teachers and administration with a rich and diverse range of courses and extra curricular offerings. A nationally competitive sailing program complements competitive programs in basketball, soccer, tennis and other traditional sports. State of the art theater and music options shine in the new fine arts center! Great nurturing environment, tremendous value. Go Oaks!
- Posted by Parent - Sarob
All of my children have been at Norfolk Collegiate since kindergarten and what a wonderful experience it has been! Throughout the lower, middle, and upper school, NC offers a caring & supportive environment while providing top notch, challenging, and innovative academics. The teachers are able to give individual attention because of the small classes. The sports program is very competitive and the new arts center is amazing. My oldest is now in college at UVA, and we cannot say enough about how well prepared he is because of his years at NC.
- Posted by Parent - sarri
Our son started at Norfolk Collegiate in second grade and is currently a Freshman. The experiences that we have had through the lower, middle and on the high school have be wonderful. The environment of NC to help students grow and develop into the best person they can be. The tools that NC uses in the classroom, through the arts department and on the sports field produce a well rounded, responsible young adult. The teachers are caring and available to students and parents.
- Posted by Parent - tburk
February 03, 2018
After conducting a survey of the educational backgrounds of current U.S. senators we were able to draw some interesting conclusions. Keep reading to learn more.
January 23, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.