Community Day School
Tel: (412) 521-1100
- Community Day School is a nurturing, academically excellent Jewish day school for the 21st century.
- From Early Childhood through Middle School, we inspire our students to love learning through innovative teaching methods and hands-on discovery.
- CDS is a welcoming community where Pittsburgh families who span the spectrum of Jewish belief and practice can learn and connect along with their children.
- As our students grow in knowledge from preschool through 8th Grade, they grow as people - finding their passions, embracing their Jewish identities, and preparing for successful and meaningful lives.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other religious school association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||269 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants and collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,560|
|Tuition Notes||Early Childhood tuition ranges from $7,840 to $11,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Sarah DeWitt|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Soccer, Ultimate FrisbeeArchery, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Green Team, No Place for Hate, Odyssey of the Mind, Student Council, Tefillah Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Drum Ensemble, Middle School Musical
Excellence in academics
- At Community Day School, we are committed to the highest standards of academic excellence. It starts with a rigorous secular curriculum integrated with a relevant Jewish education rich with meaning. Our academic program challenges and inspires students to love learning through intellectual inquiry and hands-on discovery. The result By every measure, CDS graduates have the skills, knowledge, and values to become the confident leaders and innovative thinkers of tomorrow.
- CDS students benefit from small classroom sizes-a 6:1 student-to-teacher ratio-and passionate faculty who are the core strength of our school. We offer enrichment opportunities for high-ability students and extensive learning support to meet the needs of every child. Our IGNITE program provides an experiential, inquiry-based learning experience for all students, and robotics instruction is integrated across the curriculum.
- We are truly a Community Day School, open and welcoming to children from across the range of Jewish practice and belief. Our goal is to ensure that all students, regardless of their personal observance, can feel at home at CDS and develop a meaningful connection to and understanding of Judaism. We also pride ourselves on being a joyous and vibrant community for your entire family.
- Because we believe so deeply in the impact of what we do, we seek to offer a Community Day School education to every Jewish child in the Pittsburgh area through our robust tuition assistance program. We are committed to making the school financially accessible to families who are doing their utmost, yet are still unable to handle the full cost of tuition.
- A growing body of research supports the powerful impact of learning two languages on a child's cognitive development. From Early Childhood through Middle School, our immersive and engaging Hebrew program connects students with their centuries-old heritage and also uniquely prepares them to think critically, communicate, and work in our 21st-century world.
- When you choose Community Day School, you are building a foundation of character and self-confidence that helps children understand who they are and who they are meant to become. Our graduates are artists, athletes, musicians, inventors, scholars, and leaders at Pittsburgh`s top public and private high schools. They use their gifts and knowledge to succeed at the finest colleges and in their chosen professions. And CDS students are the future of strong, vibrant Jewish communities.
- Located just off the Parkway East Squirrel Hill exit, free bus transportation from your school district makes our beautiful campus convenient and accessible from across the East End, the Monroeville, Plum, McKeesport, Woodland Hills, and Fox Chapel areas, and other locations throughout Pittsburgh.
Profile last updated:
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?