Covenant High School
- Covenant High School has a college preparatory Christian liberal arts curriculum. We aspire for Covenant High School graduates to love God and their neighbor by communicating, seeking truth through investigation and reasoning, stewarding God`s creation, appreciating Christian heritage, serving others, pursuing their calling, loving artistic beauty, and enjoying Christian community. Our humanities curriculum offers a biannual UK and France Historical tour that makes curricular connections to our English, Bible, and History courses. Our science and math offering include: AP Calculus, AP Stats, Interface Design and Technology I & II, Advanced Biology, Marine Biology, and Physics. Covenant offers over 40 college credits through concurrent college credit and AP offerings and has a dedicated College Advisor with SAT preparation. Students have elective options to delve deep into either Choir or Art, and the school offers a variety of clubs after school or during Thursday extended lunch periods, including a WIAA Forensics team. Students in their senior year research and present a Senior Rhetoric Thesis on contemporary issue of their choosing.
Upcoming Events and News
Covenant High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Washington for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||86 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus, AP Statistics,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Casual pants, collared or button-down shirts, modest skirts and tops.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,950|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Aid is available|
|Admissions Director||Logan Hope|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Board Games Club, Book Club, Boys & Girls Discipleship Group, Chess Club, Debate and Speech, Hiking Club, Hymn Club, Jazz Band, KidREACH, Math Team, Outdoor Activity Club, Photography Club, Rock Painting Club, The Forum for Political Discussion Club
Arts and Music Programs:
- 80% of the Covenant High School faculty hold post-graduate degrees. Our highly qualified and experienced educators are committed to academic excellence and the spiritual nurture of students. 90% of the faculty has over 5 years of teaching experience.
- 84% of students taking AP courses score 3 or higher. 33% of students taking an AP course score a 5.
- In the last three years, 62% of our graduating seniors have been named Washington State Honor Awardees. This is the annual honor awarded to the top 10% of eligible college bound seniors in the state by the Washington State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- Our underclassmen take the Terra Nova Standardized Achievement Test each spring; over the last three years they have ranked in the top 10% nationally.
- Over the last three years, our students` PSAT scores place them as a group in the top 20% nationally.
- Over the last three years, our students` SAT scores in the top 20% of college-bound seniors nationally.
- Over the last four years, five students have received National Merit Recognition.
- Juniors and Seniors attend a biannual United Kingdom and France historical tour. Students explore England, Scotland and France on a 15-day historical tour. Sites of literary, historical and cultural value are explored. Curricular connections are made to the tour throughout the student`s four years at Covenant.
- Students are required to take four years of speech. This culminates in a senior rhetoric class that teaches methods of classical composition and oratory. Students propose a thesis on a contemporary issue of their choosing and argue their thesis before classmates and faculty in a final speech.
- National Honor Society
- Student Council
- Student Ambassadors
- Speech and Debate
- Student-led clubs
- House System
- Peer tutoring
- Choir accompanists
- Music leaders
- Intro to Biology (3 credits)
- Intro to Biology Lab (1 credit)
- Intro to Public Speaking (3 credits)
- Communication Activities (1 credit)
- English Composition (3 credits)
- College Algebra (3 credits)
- Trigonometry (3 credits)
- Elementary Spanish (8 credits)
- Intermediate Spanish (8 credits)
- AP Statistics
- AP Calculus
- English 4.0
- Social Studies 4.0
- Mathematics (including Algebra II) 3.0
- Science (Physical Science, Biology, and Chemistry) 3.0
- Foreign Language 2.0
- PE/Health 2.0
- Fine Arts 2.0
- Bible and Theology 1.92
- Electives 1.0
- Occupational Education 1.0
- Speech .75
- Total: 24.67 credits
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Tacoma Grades: 9-12 | 96 students
12108 Pacific Ave S
Tacoma, WA 98444
(253)284-4433 8.2 9-12
- Tacoma Grades: NS-12 | 296 students
2052 S 64th St
Tacoma, WA 98409
(253)475-7226 4.4 NS-12
An outstanding academia, rich in church culture and conservative Christian values. Dedicated and faithful faculty and staff. Gifted vocal musicians and art students!
- Posted by Parent - 2019
I am a parent of 3 graduates and 1 current student. CHS has academic excellence, a warm and encouraging atmosphere, and a fantastic faculty that are each teaching in their area of academic expertise and preparation. The curriculum is thoughtfully developed and solidly based on a Biblical view of the world. My children have been well prepared for college. Studying at Covenant is challenging, but it's also a lot of fun. The highlight of the 4 years is the Great Britian/Normandy Historical tour taken in the junior or senior year. This is truly an outstanding school.
- Posted by Parent - trmcc
I am a parent of 3 graduates and 1 current student. CHS has academic excellence, a warm and encouraging atmosphere, and top-notch faculty that are each teaching in their area of academic expertise and preparation. The curriculum is very well-developed and solidly based on a Biblical view of the world. My children have been well prepared for college. Studying at Covenant is challenging, but it's also a lot of fun. The highlight of the 4 years is the Great Britian/Normandy Historical tour taken in the junior or senior year. This is truly an outstanding school.
- Posted by Parent - trmcc
Covenant High School was the perfect fit for our 4 children. We home schooled through 8th grade and found that transitioning to a formal school setting was easier than we anticipated in many regards. The staff and faculty are genuinely interested in the students. The student body is small enough so that our kids did not feel lost in the crowd, and there are monthly social events encouraging friendships across class level. The academic standards are high, but we found that diligence paid off where ability was weaker. Our kids felt very well prepared for college, especially skilled in writing and communication. We highly recommend Covenant for its strong academics and warm Christian environment.
- Posted by Parent - stjoh
Covenant High School is a wonderful place to be, for teachers as well as for students. The students show great interest in learning and care for one another. As a teacher, it is a great encouragement to see the Christian and academic growth of my students as they progress through their high school years.
- Posted by Teacher - godsd
By far the best High school in Tacoma. Students get a first rate education and are nurtured in their faith. Our oldest child is heading off to college this fall and received numerous scholarships. She also received preparation that will make her successful in life.
- Posted by Parent - marka
This is a school serious about educating the mind and heart of the student, not just for today or for the next test, but to prepare them for college and for a life after college. My daughter graduated from this school and felt very prepared for the demands of college. The training she received while attending CHS was directly related to her success in the university. In her job as research specialist in a large international organization she draws on the skills and work ethic standards established while a student there. They have an excellent music program, drama, and art. It was definitely the best investment we have made in her education!
- Posted by Parent - jlr32