Charles Wright Academy
5.00 (4 reviews)
Charles Wright Academy Photo #2 - ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Our graduating seniors consistently place in the top 10% of Washington state students and matriculate to top colleges and universities. A strong college counseling program, academic challenge, access to advanced work, a developmentally appropriate progression of skills, and a commitment to service-learning ensure our students are prepared for college and for life.
Charles Wright Academy Photo #3 - STUDENTS ARE NURTURED AND CHALLENGED: Small class sizes and strong teacher/student relationships mean students are challenged to work hard while being supported every step of the way. We offer differentiated instruction, a strong advisory program, social-emotional learning, counseling support, and learning support in all three of our schools.
Charles Wright Academy Photo #4 - A BREADTH OF OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS: Our liberal arts curriculum allows students to discover their passions and includes competitive athletics, performing and visual arts, academic electives, student clubs, after school enrichment, technology, robotics, and maker spaces.
Charles Wright Academy Photo #5 - A WELCOMING COMMUNITY: CWA welcomes families into a warm and vibrant community of lifelong learners. As an independent, nonsectarian school, we are committed to the values of excellence, compassion, integrity, and respect, perseverance.
Charles Wright Academy Photo #6 - LEARNING INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM: Beginning in Lower School, students study at Mt. Rainier, the Elwha Dam, and later travel to Colonial Williamsburg. Middle and Upper School students hike the Olympic coast, attend the Ashland Shakespeare Festival, and have opportunities to travel internationally. CWA creates lifelong friendships by welcoming international students to our annual Global Summit.
- Charles Wright Academy is a co-educational independent school for age 3 to 12th grade, with a lower school, middle school, and upper school all on one campus.
- We are a diverse and inclusive learning community using the power of academic rigor, endless inspiration, and high expectations to help students reach their intellectual, artistic, and athletic best.
- The school's 107-acre campus is located in Tacoma, and we offer extensive bus service from surrounding communities, including Gig Harbor, Fox Island, Tacoma, Silverdale, Des Moines, Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, Puyallup, DuPont, and Olympia.
Charles Wright Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Washington for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||669 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||84 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Lower School students wear uniforms.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,590|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool: $19,200 Jr. K: $20,460 K-Grade 5: $24,450 Grades 6-8: $26,700 Grades 9-12: $27,590|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,250|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Marcia Levin|
|Admissions Associate||Erica Freund|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Green Key Club, International Club, Knitting Club, Knowledge Bowl, Theatre Guild
- Step into our classrooms and you'll feel a sense of excitement, discovery, and innovation. Watch as lifelong learning habits and study skills are honed. Hear passionate, versatile students engage in independent thought and original expression. It's all possible in small classes with teachers who are specialists in their fields and given the time to work with each and every student.
- We offer the broadest and deepest learning experience and the support to meet higher expectations. In our classes, you'll hear as much laughter as lecturing. You'll see that college prep means building skills and confidence, not just knowledge. Even for our youngest students, we believe world languages, science labs, athletics, and arts are an absolute must.
- A child's heart and mind grow dramatically between ages 3 and 18, and our teachers are highly invested in that growth. We know students work harder for people about whom they care and in whom they trust. That's why our teachers earn their students' respect-by being trustworthy and always available.
- While virtually 100 percent of our students are college-bound, a college degree is not where the journey ends. This is a challenging, rewarding, and joyous training for life! Our students earn top scores on the SAT and are accepted by the most selective schools, but we're proud that the schools they choose are as diverse as our students themselves.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Tacoma Grades: NS-12 | 606 students
827 N Tacoma Ave
Tacoma, WA 98403
(253)272-2216 6.1 NS-12
Our experience at CWA has been wonderful. The quality of education, leadership, communication, and more has exceeded our expectations, and we look forward to a long relationship with the school extending through high school for both our children.
- Posted by Parent - BW
Charles Wright has been the perfect place for my child. She is able to be challenged academically and thrive socially. She is in the lower school and there is a great sense of community there. I highly recommend Charles Wright Academy!
- Posted by Parent - sgian
We absolutely recommend Charles Wright Academy!! Our child's experience has been great! We feel he receives great education and support.
- Posted by Parent - slaro
Our son has been going to this school since kindergarten. We love it! He is in 7th grade now and so so happy.
- Posted by Parent - audry
Do you think your son has a learning disability? Not sure what to do? A special needs school might be the way to go.
You thought everything was set. The test scores were excellent. She had glowing teacher recommendations. The visit and the interview went well. But the school didn't accept your child. What do you do now?
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.