5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (312) 791-0001
Daystar Academy is a faith-based, culturally-engaged, globally-minded IB World School located in the South Loop neighborhood of Chicago.
Daystar is K-12th grade school that has been serving Chicago students for 23 years.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Christian Schools International (CSI)|
Illinois Coalition of Nonpublic Schools
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||372 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress code. No uniforms.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,500|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-Kindergarten rates vary based upon full or PK ranges from $5,000 to $13,500. K-5 is $13,500. 6-10 is $14,600. Tuition assistance is available for grades K-10.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kristin Zandstra|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Art, Musical Instruments
Recreational Athletic Programs:
At Daystar, we believe:
- HOW YOU LEARN MATTERS: We believe that education needs to be experienced first-hand, touched with your hands, and felt with emotion. We`ve built a program that ensures that every student embraces the world around them as their classroom, using local, national and global resources as tools for learning.Our students regularly spend time in active learning outside of the classroom, at locations across Chicagoland. Each learning excursion is tailored to a topic of study and encourages students to engage with the world around them. Make sure you have your passport! Every Daystar Academy student also travels abroad as part of their academic program in grades 9-12.
- WHO YOU LEARN WITH MATTERS: Daystar Academy students benefit from working with students who represent the world around them. Our student body is made up of a wide range of ethnic backgrounds. There are no lines dividing who is and is not welcome, resulting in a beautifully diverse population. Diversity doesn`t just mean ethnicity. We believe that socio-economic diversity allows a student to encounter difference, learn from each other and form new bonds that can transcend divisions in our world. Student-body diversity enriches the learning environment. At Daystar Academy, 60 percent of families receive financial aid (over $1 million dollars awarded each year). As a faith-based school, our student body comes from a range of Christian traditions, each loved and valued by our community.
- WHAT YOU LEARN MATTERS: We believe that when we work to understand the reality of other members of our community, we develop open hearts and minds that are focused on action. At Daystar we embrace a lifestyle of service, continually looking for ways to give back and support others. We provide opportunities for community service across our entire program, from academics to athletics and extra-curricular activities. We encourage our students to be empathetic and compassionate global citizens, always ready to lend a hand.
- High academic standards
- Small class size
- Differentiated curriculum
- Engaged hands-on learning
- Enriched learning
- Extensive use of Chicago resources
- Christian values and worldview
People that viewed Daystar Academy also viewed these schools: Cambridge School Of Chicago, Ancona School, British International School of Chicago, Lincoln Park, Chicago Grammar School and Frances Xavier Warde School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chicago Grades: PK-6 | 83 students
1014 East 47th Street
Chicago, IL 60653
(773) 924-1200 3.8 PK-6
- Chicago Grades: NS-5 | 515 students
814 W. Eastman Street
Chicago, IL 60642
(773) 907-5000 3.4 NS-5
- Chicago Grades: PK-8 | 993 students
751 N State St
Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 466-0700 1.9 PK-8
Daystar comes very near perfection. My children's membership in this community is one of the greatest sources of joy in my life. The school provides a thoughtful Christian education. It is nurturing children's ability to live a distinctively Christian life that engages discerningly with the wider culture in which they find themselves. Daystar is academically excellent. Teachers and administrators are creative, flexible, open-minded and curious about new approaches and are always seeking to improve the quality of instruction. They are also truly committed to teaching each kid at his or her own level; no child is allowed to be consistently bored or confused. The school is racially and socio-economically very diverse, but there is also a real emphasis on building community and teaching the students how to treat one another well. If you visit, take a look at the middle-schoolers: they are nice kids! I trust the way that Daystar is educating my children, academically, emotionally and spiritually. It's a privilege and a blessing to share their upbringing with this school.
- Posted by Parent - kebel
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.