5.00 (1 review)
- Dominion Academy is a therapeutic day school for children who are in need of a smaller school setting due to a lack of success in a large public school environment or who are otherwise in need of an alternative school setting.
- Currently, all of the students have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and are associated with a disability related to academics and or behavior.
- Our goal is to provide a therapeutic setting in which our students can learn to identify the areas of weakness, strengthen them through staff support and return to public school if appropriate or to complete their education with us.
- Our focus is both on behavior/emotional improvement and academic success. Students receive individual and group counseling throughout the week and older students receive vocational skills and career prepatory training.
- Our behavioral system is based on Positive Behavior Intervention and Support, where a student is reinforced for exhibiting positive choices and redirected/retaught when negative choices occur.
- We have a full time Behavior Specialist, full time Academic/Reading Interventionist, two full time social workers/therapists, a school psychologist, and teachers and staff who have experience in working with students with atypical needs.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Autism,Developmental Delay, Emotional Disability, Intellectual Disability, Multiple Disabilities, Other Health Impairment, Specific Learning Disability (Dyslexia, Dyscalcula), Speech or Language Impairment|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Funding for summer ESY program is paid by CSA?FAPT|
|Total Students||58 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Funding for Special Ed. students provided by CSA/FAPT|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Joshua Lutz|
|Admissions Associate||Faith Thomas|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Track and FieldBasketball, Flag Football,|
Track and Field
- Students must have an IEP that allows for placement in a private day school if the local school division is going to pay tuition for placement at our school. If the student has an IEP that does not indicate private day placement or does not have an IEP, tuition is the responsibility of the parent.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: 1-12 | 71 students
3900 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230
(804)239-1080 2.9 1-12
- Richmond Grades: 3-12 | 35 students
8000 Brook Rd
Richmond, VA 23227
(804)553-3291 1.9 3-12
- Henrico Grades: K-12 | 82 students
8055 Shrader Road
Henrico, VA 23294
(804)747-1003 4.6 K-12
I rate this school as a 10/ 10. The reasons for this high ranking are that she I am very impressed with the constructive, stimulating environment, the philosophy of positivereinforcement, the way Mr. Lutz and his staff inspire my child and the other students, andthe fact that they are able to help students flourish and develop their critical thinkingskills. Mr. Lutz has made the IEP process a positive experience andI love that he is so hands on with the students and very responsive if any issues arise.My child is actually excited to come back to the academy on school days because my childthoroughly enjoys his time there and loves to be more challenged.Dominion Academy has really helped my child explore untapped potential. My child is night and day from the first day."I am very grateful and delighted that the academy has given my child the basic skillsessential to becoming successful in the community. I highlyrecommend Dominion Academy to any parent seeking similar services for yourchildren.
- Posted by Parent - CGMOM
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.