5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (360) 671-8085
Explorations Academy Photo #2 - Helping students become global citizens is central to our program. In addition to curriculum that is current and internationally focused, students have the opportunity to go on month-long international expeditions that include service and exploration. Pictured here are students in Machu Picchu on our 2013 expedition to Peru.
Explorations Academy Photo #3 - Our Lower Level was completely renovated in summer 2013, doubling the size of our school and vastly expanding out theatre department. We celebrated our first in-house theatre performances of Alice in Wonderland in December 2013.
Explorations Academy Photo #4 - Small classes and a high teacher to student ratio allows for faculty to work with students individually.
Explorations Academy... An education that matters. Explorations is a fully-accredited independent school with a focus on experiential learning, creative development, character building, and college preparation.
Students average one day per week on field outings throughout the region and also participate in annual, month-long overseas expeditions.
Our innovative approach prepares students to become globally-aware leaders for positive change in the 21st Century.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||36 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,600|
|Tuition Notes||We have scholarship and financial aid programs to make an Explorations Academy education accessible to every appropriate student|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Associate||Sarah Lane|
- Explorations Academy (EA) is our area's only fully-accredited independent high school and provides an experiential curriculum that ignites a passion for learning and inspires creativity, curiosity, and desire to learn in young people who are highly capable yet under-performing in traditional high school settings. It is our priority to encourage bright and capable, yet bored youth to excel academically and create opportunities for life-long success. We expose students to real life experiences to ensure that our students are well prepared to be tomorrow`s innovators, leaders, and engaged citizens.
- Committed to intercultural education, we have hosted international students for one or more academic years. Our school attracts students from southern British Columbia and we are close to a bus line that connects us easily to transportation from neighboring counties. Students also have traveled on international study/service expeditions to places as diverse as Peru, India, Thailand, Cuba, Kenya, Guatemala, and Indonesia.
- Our academic program is college-preparatory, interdisciplinary, and challenging. We offer an experiential approach draws students into the real world through field studies, guest speakers, and service opportunities that complement classroom learning. The curriculum is relevant to current events with small class sizes and integrated subject matter. Evaluation methods emphasize individualized performance assessments, self-reflection and demonstration of skills and knowledge and are not focused on standardized testing.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bellingham Grades: PK-12
100 Pine Street Ste. 103
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 595-2630 757.2 PK-12
- Bellingham Grades: PK-6 | 56 students
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 714-1762 0.8 PK-6
My kids just started their second year at Explorations and they couldn't wait to get back to school. They love the trips and hands-on activities, the close friendships they can forge in a small community, and the authentic approach to learning. Last year my son had an amazing trip to Vietnam that really expanded his knowledge range and interests. My middle schooler developed a strong friend group and a newfound interest in math. The school sets high expectations and the students seem genuinely motivated to meet and exceed those expectations, and they thrive in a social environment where trust and mutual respect are valued and practiced. The curriculum is rigorous but really engaging; the faculty are dedicated to their craft and to each of the students, and the trips and hands-on approach to learning make for an enriching educational environment. I feel that my kids are being well prepared for a future (including college) as caring, competent, and well-rounded adults.
- Posted by Parent - Skagitista
My daughter has just completed her first semester at EA and we are all thrilled with the education she is being offered! Not only is she receiving the academic rigor she's been craving, she is also getting mentorship from intelligent and wise faculty in how to develop as a human being. I can't imagine a better environment for my teenager to grow.
- Posted by Parent - arack
A search for a teaching job in the midst of a severe recession takes much longer than it does in good economic times. Here's how to handle this situation.
Marketing yourself in tough times requires attention to details. Here are some tips to help you achieve success.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.