Alger Learning Center & Independence High School
A Washington State approved private school K-12, also offeringsupport and assistance for homeschoolers, unschoolers, and otherindependent learners.
We issue official high school transcripts, and diplomas tostudents who complete the WA State requirements forgraduation. Passing of an exit exam is not required.
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Yearly Tuition: $6,000
- Acceptance rate: 100%
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Asperger
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Annual Rate - Monthly, Tri-annual, Bi-annual payment options also available.
National avg.: 85%
- The Alger Learning Center/Independence High School is aWashington State approved and nationally accredited private school,and offers educational alternatives for homeschoolers, unschoolers,and other independent learners. The flexibility we are afforded asa private school allows us to accommodate students who may haveoutside commitments such as employment, medical needs, familyresponsibilities, and travel. We also work with students withlearning differences and special needs. Because we are a privateschool, do not receive Federal funding, and have no Federal fundingaccountability, our students are not required to undergo mandatoryState testing (WASL, HSPE, etc.) in order to graduate. Thisexemption, under the laws governing private schools in the State ofWashington, enables us to provide a viable option for public schoolstudents whose opportunity to graduate has been denied, eitherbecause they are unable to pass portions of those tests, or becausethey and/or their parents oppose them for ethical or otherreasons.We have been working with public schools to helpstudents succeed for over 35 years. Credits earned at IndependenceHigh School are fully transferable.
- In addition to homeschoolers and unschoolers, those who havebenefited from our program have included students who were unableto pass the state exit tests or refused to take them; students whohad fallen behind and were able to use our credit retrievalprogram; students who needed specific skill enhancement; studentswith learning differences such as ADD or dyslexia; students whowere highly capable, self-directed learners; students whoexperienced little or no success in the public school system;students who were able to earn credit for experiential learning;students who thrived with one-on-one individualized instruction andcustom curriculum; students who needed private tutoring in additionto their public school classes; students seeking alternatives tospecific classes for personal or religious reasons; young adultschoosing to move ahead with their lives by graduating with 20credits, in order to enter community colleges, enhance theiremployment or career opportunities, or pursue specialized academicor individual interests. Independence High School is in session allyear. Students may enroll at any time. Our graduates have beenaccepted by, and have experienced success in, 4-year universitiesand colleges, technical schools, and fine arts institutions,nationally and worldwide.For over 35 years, we have seen ourstudent-centered program result in inspired and lifelongindependent learning.
Endorse Alger Learning Center & Independence High School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.