- A Washington State approved private school K-12, also offering support and assistance for homeschoolers, unschoolers, and other independent learners.
- We issue official high school transcripts, and diplomas to students who complete the WA State requirements for graduation. Passing of an exit exam is not required.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Asperger|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,000|
|Tuition Notes||Annual Rate - Monthly, Tri-annual, Bi-annual payment options also available.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Lackey|
|Admissions Associate||Phil DePree|
- The Alger Learning Center/Independence High School is a Washington State approved and nationally accredited private school, and offers educational alternatives for homeschoolers, unschoolers, and other independent learners. The flexibility we are afforded as a private school allows us to accommodate students who may have outside commitments such as employment, medical needs, family responsibilities, and travel. We also work with students with learning differences and special needs. Because we are a private school, do not receive Federal funding, and have no Federal funding accountability, our students are not required to undergo mandatory State testing (WASL, HSPE, etc.) in order to graduate. This exemption, under the laws governing private schools in the State of Washington, enables us to provide a viable option for public school students whose opportunity to graduate has been denied, either because they are unable to pass portions of those tests, or because they and/or their parents oppose them for ethical or other reasons. We have been working with public schools to help students succeed for over 35 years. Credits earned at Independence High School are fully transferable.
- In addition to homeschoolers and unschoolers, those who have benefited from our program have included students who were unable to pass the state exit tests or refused to take them; students who had fallen behind and were able to use our credit retrieval program; students who needed specific skill enhancement; students with learning differences such as ADD or dyslexia; students who were highly capable, self-directed learners; students who experienced little or no success in the public school system; students who were able to earn credit for experiential learning; students who thrived with one-on-one individualized instruction and custom curriculum; students who needed private tutoring in addition to their public school classes; students seeking alternatives to specific classes for personal or religious reasons; young adults choosing to move ahead with their lives by graduating with 20 credits, in order to enter community colleges, enhance their employment or career opportunities, or pursue specialized academic or individual interests. Independence High School is in session all year. Students may enroll at any time. Our graduates have been accepted by, and have experienced success in, 4-year universities and colleges, technical schools, and fine arts institutions, nationally and worldwide. For 35 years, we have seen our student-centered program result in inspired and lifelong independent learning.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BellinghamGrades: 9-12 | 14 students
920 24th St
Bellingham, WA 98225
BellinghamGrades: 8-12 | 39 students
1701 Ellis St. #215 | PO Box 3014
Bellingham, WA 98227
Nearby Homes for Sale
May 15, 2017
Many famous children have attended private schools. Here is a sampling of schools and the famous folk who graced their hallowed halls.
May 11, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.
May 11, 2017
Learn more about the Private School Review "Ultimate Admissions Checklist," with top-flight tips from leading minds in education.