Alger Learning Center & Independence High School
Tel: (360) 595-2630
A Washington State approved private school K-12, also offeringsupport and assistance for homeschoolers, unschoolers, and otherindependent learners.
We issue official high school transcripts, and diplomas tostudents who complete the WA State requirements forgraduation. Passing of an exit exam is not required.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Asperger|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,000|
|Tuition Notes||Annual Rate - Monthly, Tri-annual, Bi-annual payment options also available.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Lackey|
|Admissions Associate||Phil DePree|
- The Alger Learning Center/Independence High School is aWashington State approved and nationally accredited private school,and offers educational alternatives for homeschoolers, unschoolers,and other independent learners. The flexibility we are afforded asa private school allows us to accommodate students who may haveoutside commitments such as employment, medical needs, familyresponsibilities, and travel. We also work with students withlearning differences and special needs. Because we are a privateschool, do not receive Federal funding, and have no Federal fundingaccountability, our students are not required to undergo mandatoryState testing (WASL, HSPE, etc.) in order to graduate. Thisexemption, under the laws governing private schools in the State ofWashington, enables us to provide a viable option for public schoolstudents whose opportunity to graduate has been denied, eitherbecause they are unable to pass portions of those tests, or becausethey and/or their parents oppose them for ethical or otherreasons.We have been working with public schools to helpstudents succeed for over 35 years. Credits earned at IndependenceHigh School are fully transferable.
- In addition to homeschoolers and unschoolers, those who havebenefited from our program have included students who were unableto pass the state exit tests or refused to take them; students whohad fallen behind and were able to use our credit retrievalprogram; students who needed specific skill enhancement; studentswith learning differences such as ADD or dyslexia; students whowere highly capable, self-directed learners; students whoexperienced little or no success in the public school system;students who were able to earn credit for experiential learning;students who thrived with one-on-one individualized instruction andcustom curriculum; students who needed private tutoring in additionto their public school classes; students seeking alternatives tospecific classes for personal or religious reasons; young adultschoosing to move ahead with their lives by graduating with 20credits, in order to enter community colleges, enhance theiremployment or career opportunities, or pursue specialized academicor individual interests. Independence High School is in session allyear. Students may enroll at any time. Our graduates have beenaccepted by, and have experienced success in, 4-year universitiesand colleges, technical schools, and fine arts institutions,nationally and worldwide.For over 35 years, we have seen ourstudent-centered program result in inspired and lifelongindependent learning.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bellingham Grades: PK-6 | 56 students
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 714-1762 757.9 PK-6
- Bellingham Grades: 9-12 | 14 students
920 24th St
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 671-5433 755.3 9-12
- Bellevue Grades: 1-12 | 43 students
2800 Northup Way, Suite 120
Bellevue, WA 98004
(425) 885-6296 680.2 1-12
- Bothell Grades: K-12
14520 100th Ave NE
Bothell, WA 98011
(650) 488-7190 686.9 K-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.