Far Hills Country Day School
- Far Hills encourages energetic exploration and curiosity about both our community and the world.
- Our graduates are placed at the most prestigious boarding and day secondary schools in the country.
- We offer a personalized, and academically ambitious education with the right balance of structure and freedom, while honoring the unique emotional and developmental needs of elementary and middle school-aged students.
- We celebrate childhood. Our curriculum allows children to complete a fulfilling journey, in which they become leaders at a young age.
- We yield happy balanced kids who are ready to take on the world and encourage and help every student to GO FAR. Our strength of our community sets us apart.
- When you become a Falcon, you become family. Come for a visit, walk down the hallways, and feel it for yourself.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||277 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||49 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$39,800|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool: $20,500 (five full days) Kindergarten: $33,200 Grades 1-4: $31,325 Grades 5-8: $39,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Rachel Yu|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and FieldBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Fencing,
Field Hockey, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Collector's Items (Journalism), Forensics Team, Mathletes, Service Learning, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
- With an average of 13 students per class, our teachers are able to offer an exceptional degree of individual attention and support, meet children where they are academically, and challenge them in unique ways based on how they best learn. We pride ourselves on really getting to know your child as a person.
- We help every child find their voice-and we make sure they know how to use it. Preschool students regularly speak in front of their classmates during Community Meetings, while Grade 4 dress up and debate as Native Americans and Settlers for their history class, and students of all ages have the ability to perform in impressive, full-scale musical productions and concerts-even if they need a little encouragement first.
- We offer authentic learning at every level and our students don`t learn subjects in silos. Through our cross-curricular STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) approach, they might use engineering in English class or art in a history presentation. They learn the "design thinking" method: a formula for using every applicable "tool" in their box to design and test solutions for real-world problems-and many concepts are taught via collaborative projects that emphasize process rather than end product. Students understand the how and the why behind everything they learn, and that failure is often a necessary step to success.
- Preschool focuses on creativity, play, and inquiry-and fosters a love of learning that sets the tone for the entire Far Hills experience. While core concepts are predefined, specific lessons are created based on students` interests and experiences. A book about a princess and dragons, for instance, might inspire an art class devoted to building cardboard castles.
- Lower School (KindergartenGrade 4) students develop academic concepts, and build social and problem solving skills through engaging projects. Recently, our fourth graders worked with teachers and master gardeners to create a plan for rehabilitating a garden on campus, honing science, math, and problem-solving skills in the process. We make sure that students are not only consumers of technology, but they are, first and foremost, creators, collaborators, critical thinkers and communicators.
- Upper School (Grades 58) students gain more autonomy and a sense of identity through field studies, project based learning, historical case studies, and experimental design or collective research. These long-term projects strengthen research and presentation skills and serve as a rewarding capstone to their Far Hills journey; while Adventure Trips to Cape Cod, the Adirondacks, and the Catskills reinforce classroom studies and allow students to bond with classmates and teachers.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Gladstone Grades: NS-8 | 108 students
1150 Pottersville Road
Gladstone, NJ 07934
(908)470-9500 3.8 NS-8
Upon researching numerous schools through New Jersey we chose Far Hills Country Day School for its balance between academics and character development. We feel the vision and values of Far Hills are in line with what we believe to be a truly well rounded education.We love seeing our children come home happy and excited. We love that our children's academic and emotional needs are individually met. Every teacher we have met has shown an exceptional sense of love for FH. They all take a lot of pride in how they contribute to making FH a great school.There is a feeling of belonging and unity at each of the many events. There is no concern of what grade your child is in, we are all in this together, striving to better our children.There is a joint effort with FHCDS and their families to continually improve upon the school. Staff, students, and families have a genuine love for the school.
- Posted by Parent - Parent C
Far Hills Country Day school has been an amazing place for our children during their elementary and middle school years. This school combines a strong academic curriculum with the social and emotional skills that allow each child to grow as an individual. Students learn about all aspects of life and leave the school on their way to becoming positive, productive members of our society. Teachers go above and beyond their normal call of duty to make sure every child is successful and moving in the right direction. Far Hills Country Day School is an amazing institution that benefits children starting at the age of 3 and continues their growth in all aspects of life through 8th grade.
- Posted by Parent - marti