FlexSchool is an accredited private school for gifted and twice-exceptional (2e) learners. Our mission is to provide engaging academics in a supportive environment where students can explore their passions, embrace their challenges and find a caring community of teachers and friends who understand and accept them as they are.
We combine a strengths-based approach and gifted-level curriculum with the executive functioning support, social-emotional learning and social pragmatics instruction that gifted and 2e learners thrive upon.
Our signature FlexFriday experiential learning program gives students the opportunity to explore connections between classroom learning and the real world.
Our campuses in Bronxville, NY and Berkeley Heights, NJ serve grades 5-12 and PG, and our 100% live virtual Cloud Campus serves grades K-12 and PG.
FlexSchool ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New Jersey for:
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Dyslexia, dysgraphia, executive functioning, slow processing, ADHD, Autism Spectrum, Anxiety, Depression, Anxiety, LGBTQ+
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
www.flexschool.netFlexSchool meets all requirements for Naples Act Placement which allows public school districts to place special education students into accredited schools that meet the standards and requirements. Please ask us for more information.
Summer Program Cost Notes
FlexSummer Extended School Year ProgramIf your child or students are in need of academic maintenance, credit recovery, continued social/emotional development, or meeting state graduation requirements to allow greater schedule flexibility during the school year then FlexSchool ESY may be the right fit. FlexSummer ESY is also a fantastic opportunity to explore whether FlexSchool will be an appropriate Naples Placement. Our relationship-based model embraces students for who and where they are, then supports them as they learn to thrive. FlexSchool has a full team of support staff including social workers and learning specialists. Our faculty is specially trained in supporting learning challenges, executive functioning skills, social/emotional support, and customizing curricula to fit student’s needs.
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
Chess Club, Dungeons and Dragons Club, Homework Club, Media Arts Club, Minecraft Club, Roblox Club, Robotics Team
Chess Club, Dungeons and Dragons Club, Homework Club, Media Arts Club, Minecraft Club, Roblox Club, Robotics Team
- FlexSchool's mission is to create learning spaces where gifted and twice-exceptional students all over the world are accepted, valued, and supported.
- Many highly creative and eager gifted students struggle to thrive in school. Some lose their confidence, their sense of purpose and finally their will to try. Whether they are impacted by a specific learning disability, poor executive functioning, slow processing speed or anxiety the result may be that they are feeling stuck. It's no wonder. Gifted kids can be a conundrum for schools. While not suitable for every 2e student, FlexSchool can support those who are socially-minded to enjoy a community of peers.
- FlexSchool is a unique learning network for gifted and twice-exceptional (2e) learners. FlexSchool embraces students for who and where they are, then supports them as they learn to thrive. Small, ability-based discussion classes taught by subject experts ensure meaningful conversations and the opportunity to ask high-level questions. The faculty, trained and supported by learning specialists and mental health professionals, focuses on critical thinking in all areas of learning; a "toolbox" concept emphasizing how to learn rather than an "encyclopedia" concept emphasizing specific material (though all core bases are covered in depth). Students are supported and encouraged to study topics that interest them with faculty mentors. FlexSchool is also a safe and fun environment for accelerated students who want to "join in" rather than "stand out."
- FlexSchool campuses are deliberately embedded in the community to use local resources. Examples of this include experiential learning in the local area every Friday (FlexFridays), meaningful community service, and opportunities for students to find local mentors and activities that both support and extend their interest
- To meet the unique needs of gifted and 2e learners students who may have co-occurring learning challenges along with their gifts we provide a gifted-level curriculum with built-in scaffolding, developed by credentialed experts in both gifted education and special education, as well as subject-area experts. Small, discussion-based classes ensure our students can engage in stimulating conversation with intellectual peers while receiving individualized attention and support.Importantly, homework is relevant and minimized at FlexSchool. It is not seen as a gateway to a grade.
- Talent Development and Experiential Learning
- Central to our program is our strengths-based, interest-based approach to learning. All FlexSchool students pursue personal passion projects, and choose from a diverse menu of enrichment activities and electives designed to support exploration and talent development. Our signature FlexFriday experiential learning program provides essential connections between classroom learning and the real world.
- Executive Functioning and Learning Support
- All FlexSchool students have access to an extensive range of accommodations, including breaks as needed, daily executive functioning support, flexible seating, extended time, assistive technology and more. Learning Specialist support is available on every FlexSchool campus.
- Social-Emotional Learning and School Counseling
- Our caring team of certified school counselors, under the guidance of a consulting psychologist, provide robust social-emotional learning and social pragmatics programming. Students are welcome to visit the school counselor at any time no appointment necessary. FlexSchool counselors also maintain a collaborative relationship with parents and outside providers.
- Rolling admissions
- We understand that student needs don`t always neatly align with the academic calendar, so FlexSchool admits students on a rolling basis. To learn more, join FlexSchool founder Jacqui Byrne live via Zoom for a Virtual Open House. To receive a call from our admissions team, inquire online, email us at email@example.com or call 908-279-0787.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
Does FlexSchool offer a summer program?
Yes, FlexSchool offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What is FlexSchool's ranking?
FlexSchool ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New Jersey for: Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees.
When is the application deadline for FlexSchool?
The application deadline for FlexSchool is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
If you have a child who is neurodivergent, or who has struggled at a typical middle or high school, what would you give to see your child come home from school happy? To have gifted teachers who have the time and patience to understand and help your child? To have a space where they feel safe and supported and maybe even find a friend or two? My daughter found her highly-rated public suburban high school so stressful that she became suicidal. We enrolled her in FlexSchool`s Cloud Campus, and she immediately improved. The next year, we switched to their Berkeley Heights campus, and she is thriving. She has friends. She can wear whatever she wants to wear within reason and can completely be herself. Her teachers give her all the support she needs. She`s getting an excellent education and even free college counseling and assistance with the application process. When she came home with a smile on her face for the first time since the 4th grade, I cried. We were worried about spending so much of the money we saved for college on high school, but then we realized that there was no way she would make it to college if we stayed at her old high school. Now she`s excited about college and is better prepared for it than she ever was before. She`s learning how to write at a college level and think like a college student, rather than just learning how to take a test. She`s learning how to manage her time and break large projects into manageable pieces with teachers and staff who can follow up on them with her. As far as I am concerned, FlexSchool is paradise. I just attended their winter Talent Show, where I watched about a dozen preteen and teen students get up in front of their peers and share their talents with no fear of reprisals or bullying. No. Fear. Can you imagine? Kids sang opera arias, solved Rubick`s cubes, shared their drawings, demonstrated different heavy metal guitar styles, and performed a song from Hamilton-and their peers cheered and told them they did a great job. It was like I was in an alternate reality where all the kids are the lovely people we know they can be, rather than Lord of the Flies like in most high schools. I just wish I had found this place sooner for my older daughter.
Our child Gali is gifted, twice exceptional, and simply wired differently than most kids. Gali's growth in all areas and satisfaction in their learning has surpassed all of our dreams for what was possible for our child in these challenging middle school years. With social-emotional support, individualized learning and small discussion-focused classes, our child is thriving at Flex school, which they started in the middle of their 7th grade year at a time of psychiatric crisis. Gali now freely expresses their insatiable intellectual curiosity, participates joyfully in the life of the community and is consistently met by teachers and students alike. Flex pivoted seamlessly by creating a truly exceptional online program during quarantine, engaging Gali Monday-Friday 8-3 pm. Thankfully, we have been hybrid in person and remote since October. We are deeply grateful to Founder Jacqui Byrne and Bronxville Director Lynne Henwood for their dedication to the 2E mission and to the Flex families. They are so much more than school directors. They are social change agents and thought leaders, having created a place for 2E kids to thrive. Ben Newman: I can't agree enough. Flex school welcomed Gali and our family to join their learning community, providing us a lifeline from challenge to opportunity for growth and transformation. They opened our eyes to who our child is and the potential for who they can become with the proper learning environment. I highly recommend the school to anyone, and especially those who "march to the beat of a different drummer." I wish that I had had a school like this when I was Gali's age!
Endorse FlexSchool. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
October 30, 2023Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.