The Lewis School of Princeton
5.00 (8 reviews)
- Founded in 1973, The Lewis School and Clinic are among the earliest groups of educators in the country to innovate, develop and implement curriculum-wide multisensory education, science-based student assessments and neuroscience-based teacher training within a structured and nurturing traditional school environment.
- The School's philosophy is best described by its founder, Marsha Lewis, "Our students' gifts and promise are as important to us as are their needs to repair scholastically.
- At The Lewis School, learning problems are understood, not as disabilities, but as differences: the expression of remarkable and diverse capacities of human thinking and perceptions.
- The purpose of a Lewis School education is to prepare students, who may struggle with language-based learning difficulties related to dyslexia, attention deficit and auditory processing, to thrive academically, as they learn to restore the confidence and self-esteem they need to achieve their scholastic and personal best.".
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
Other special emphasis association(s)
Institute for Independent Education
Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language-based Learning Differences related to Dyslexia, Auditory Processing and Attention|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||200 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki Pants/Skirts and Collar Shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies according to student's placement level; e.g. Pre-K, Lower School, Middle School, Upper School or Post-Graduate|
|Admissions Director||David Stier|
|Admissions Associate||Annie Adams|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Athletics Club, Cheerleading, Choir, Drama Club, Music, Robotics Club, Walk Club, Yearbook Club|
- Founded in 1973, The Lewis School and Clinic are among the earliest groups of educators in the country to innovate, develop and implement curriculum-wide multisensory education, science-based student assessments and neuroscience-based teacher training within a structured and nurturing traditional school environment. The School's philosophy is best described by its founder, Marsha Lewis, "Our students' gifts and promise are as important to us as are their needs to repair scholastically. At The Lewis School, learning problems are understood, not as disabilities, but as differences: the expression of remarkable and diverse capacities of human thinking and perceptions. The purpose of a Lewis School education is to prepare students, who may struggle with language-based learning difficulties related to dyslexia, attention deficit and auditory processing, to thrive academically, as they learn to restore the confidence and self-esteem they need to achieve their scholastic and personal best." For the past 40 years and long before multisensory methodology was accepted by mainstream educators, The Lewis School's curriculum included the now 'widely acclaimed' teaching approaches of Orton-Gillingham, Slingerland, Childs and Wilson Reading. In the realization that no single teaching approach could address the many diverse needs of bright, unorthodox learners, despite how excellent that method might be, The Lewis School was among the first to integrate these approaches, one with the other. As Marsha Lewis described during an interview with The New York Times, "We don't just teach our students compensation measures; we teach them working strategies. Our hands-on teaching approaches actively engage the many senses of the brain in the learning process, allowing students to automatize and internalize instruction, rather than reinforcing their inherent reliance on passive, rote memorization." With more than 180 students enrolled at The Lewis School, the daily curriculum is dynamic, challenging, competitive and completely multisensory. Whether the student is a first grader learning the basics of sound-symbol association, or a teenager ready to take on Advanced Calculus at a college preparatory level, The Lewis School curriculum is designed to meet the needs of each individual student. The Lewis Clinic for Educational Therapy continues to serve as the foundation for instruction and learning. Having an organization that is rooted in the science of learning gives Lewis a unique perspective. The Lewis Clinic administers nationally- normed standardized tests and uses a comprehensive selection of diagnostic and perceptual instruments, which are administered without the influence of pre-determined biases or prior diagnostic opinions. Students and parents are often relieved to find what they thought was a disability is actually a different way of learning that is unique to the child. At The Lewis Clinic families will find clearly defined, plainspoken, independent assessments that carefully examine their child's learning strengths and weaknesses. This is helpful to teachers, parents and students alike because, according to Marsha Lewis, "Children need an education that is in touch with them the way they really are." It is our goal to work specifically and diligently to help students overcome scholastic weaknesses and build academic strengths-to help them to succeed where they have fallen short in the past. Lewis School graduates, who once struggled in school, have gone on to distinguish themselves in higher education and professional life. They are compelling proof that this kind of change is possible. The Lewis School and Clinic continues to stay on the cutting-edge of research, exploring the brains ability to learn and readily adapt and deliver new concepts directly to faculty and the classroom. Innovations, like the virtual chemistry labs adapted for the use of learning different students, is only one example of the programs being sponsored by The Lewis School and Clinic. For information about The Lewis School & Clinic, The Afternoon Education Program, Summer Study, or Speech Therapy, please call 609-924-8120 or visit us at www.lewisschool.org.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pennington Grades: K-12 | 125 students
100 Straube Center Blvd
Pennington, NJ 08534
(609)730-9553 7 K-12
- Princeton Grades: PK-12 | 861 students
650 Great Road
Princeton, NJ 08540
(609)924-6700 1.3 PK-12
- Neptune Grades: 2-12 | 116 students
1604 Woodfield Rd
Neptune, NJ 07753
(732)681-6900 36 2-12
- Riverton Grades: Inquire with school | 17 students
405 Linden Avenue
Riverton, NJ 08077
(856)786-1123 30.1 Inquire with school
- Somerset Grades: 2-12 | 83 students
2 Riverview Drive
Somerset, NJ 08873
(908)253-3870 16.2 2-12
Attending The Lewis School of Princeton has changed the trajectory for my son`s life. This amazing school has a sophisticated yet nurturing environment. It is led by incredibly talented, caring and dedicated people who know how to both tackle diverse learning challenges for dyslexic students and uncover their true talents. I cannot say enough about his incredible teachers, the rigorous curriculum they provide and their Inspiring dedication. My son is happy and progressing forward at The Lewis School. For the first time, he feels truly understood in the classroom and that he has the right path to help him achieve his future college and life goals.
- Posted by Parent - Deb I
As a busy working woman, however I care about my son's academic growth and character building and overall life skill development. Attention focus and being social are his challenges. I'm so glad the faculties at The Leiw School helped me identified the causes of the issues, provided solutions, and the most beneficial implemented the solutions and plans in my son's daily school work and study. In the past two years (6th and 7th grade) at the Lewis School, my son made many friends, developed very good habits, became motivated, and his self esteem has improved significantly. The school programs and support from Lewis lay out solid foundation of raising a strong and self confident young man. I strongly recommend the Lewis School of Princeton.
- Posted by Parent - Sharon
I am amazed at what my children can accomplish and learn at The Lewis School. After years of struggle and loss of self-esteem, we found The Lewis School for my children who learn differently. Under the care of their fantastic teachers and staff and due to their teaching method, which is based on current neuroscience, my children are learning and progressing again. Their self-esteem is back. They like school. They are happy, and I have hope for their future.
- Posted by Parent - Julie P
To use the word "life-changing" for my child`s experience at Lewis is not exaggerating. From a 7 year old who barely spoke to a confident, dynamic teenager, my son`s growth at Lewis was palatable. The school gave him the hope that as a learning different student, he is entitled the rights to fully developed his talents and potential and pursue his wildest dreams. Equally important, the school gave him the tools to achieve those dreams. The learning environment of the Lewis School is truly one-of-a-kind. Besides it utilizes cutting-edge research results in neuroscience and multi-sensory teaching methods for its learning-different students, the atmosphere of the school is loving, encouraging while challenging at the same time. The school always puts its students` well-being and interest front and center, and allows flexibility in tailoring a student`s academic study to his or her specific needs. As a parent, I am immensely grateful to the school`s founder, Mrs. Martha Lewis for her vision, skills and tenacity in establishing a school like Lewis. I also feel extremely blessed by having compassionate, well-trained, and dedicated teachers working with my child. To us, the Lewis School is like a family. We look forward to learning and growing in this family years to come.
- Posted by Parent - Min
I discovered The Lewis School as a young adult after 2 years of attending college. The teachers at the school were the first people to understand me and my history of underperforming in school and the feelings of inadequacy years of frustration had caused. The clinical staff evaluated me and explained the underlying reasons for my difficulty with reading and listening comprehension, and writing. I spent 2 years at the school learning how to learn, remediating my dyslexia and auditory processing issues and understanding myself. Finding The Lewis School was like finding a needle in a haystack.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - David
" The Lewis School is a great space to learn. I was there for 5 years. I came from a public school, resource room setting, where I left feeling often misunderstood. The teachers just wanted to push me along. Upon entering Lewis I felt that all the teachers were there to help me, not push me along. Mrs. Lewis created a great multi-sensory curriculum for students with learning challenges. They have everything typical schools have: sports teams, field trips, and after school programs. If I did not go to Lewis, I would not be a senior at college this year."
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Rob L
The Lewis School turned our son's life around and lifted a cloud of frustration and despair from our family. Although our son felt intellectually capable of academic success, each year he experienced the same pattern of confusion about homework assignments, inability to grasp classroom lectures and feeling lost in the subject matter of his courses. The public schools could not find the answer and simply pushed him along from year to year. Then he found the Lewis School. He was tested with great precision to find the source of his problems. Most importantly, the test results were used by his teachers to design a curriculum to meet his personal needs. After two years at the Lewis School, our son was accepted at several highly competitive universities and completed his education with flying colors. The Lewis School's unique approach provided more than remediation. Advanced neuroscience gave our son a new foundation for a lifetime of learning.
- Posted by Parent - Ed Stier
The Lewis School is an amazing school that nurtures students. Every aspect of the school fosters learning, understanding and retaining the fundamentals of education. The highly-credentialed staff teaches with consistent, well-planned, coordinated, thoughtful, compassionate and purposeful intent. Every class has a masterfully skilled teacher leading the class to new heights of learning and understanding. The school also offers many after school activities that coordinate with the student's interests and education. The school develops well-rounded individuals with a strong foundation in "learning for life."
- Posted by Parent - caris
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.