Friends Meeting School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Tel: (301)798-0288 Ext. 123
Friends Meeting School Photo #4 - Our Middle School and High School retreats offer team-building and bonding time, creating a tight-knit community of friends!
Friends Meeting School Photo #5 - Our Great Garden Heroes club donates our organic fruits & vegetables to the Frederick County Foodbank!
Friends Meeting School Photo #6 - The FMS Falcons play friendly athletics (Grades 5-12) with several area schools - in soccer, cross-country, basketball, and track & field.
Friends Meeting School Photo #7 - Performing builds confidence - and Friends Meeting School students have performance opportunities all year round, culminating in an annual community musical at the historic Weinberg Center in downtown Frederick, MD!
- Dedicated to providing a dynamic, experiential education in the context of Quaker values, to fortify each student's mind, body, and spirit within a diverse environment, and to empower students to let their lives speak in their community and in the world.
- Real Learning for Real Life: Students get their hands dirty, literally and figuratively, sorting out the problems of the world and developing skills that prepare our students for college - and for life.
- Award-winning arts and athletic programs balance a vigorous, college-preparatory academic workload.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
Association of Independent Maryland And DC Schools (JAIMS)
AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Some accommodations can be made for students with testing. We have learning specialists on staff and a tutor available on-site for any extra help.|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus (AB & BC), AP Environmental Science, AP Human Geography, AP Modern World, AP Physics, AP US History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Annie Garland|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Astronomy Star Gazing Nights, Be The Change Club, Community Enrichment Club, Cultures Club, Homework Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, School Newspaper, Spelling Club, Student Council, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Community Play, Drama, Orchestra
- We prepare each student's Mind, Body and Spirit for whatever lies ahead.
- Small class sizes allow for highly differentiated instruction
- On-Site Tutoring space available during & after school
- Caring, educated teachers cultivate a respectful and nurturing learning environment
- A vigorous academic curriculum covers the foundations of each subject, and extends to challenge students through the AP level
- Daily outdoor time for all ages, using our 50+ acres of forests, farms and gardens to full advantage
- Championship-level Basketball teams highlight a well-rounded Athletic program
- Our world-class gymnasium and well-maintained athletics field allow for a wide variety of indoor & outdoor physical activities
- Weekly Meetings for Worship teach students of all ages to use Silence to find the Truth within themselves
- Strong Visual and Performing Arts programs allow for self-expression in all kinds of media
- Annual Benefit Performances at the Weinberg Theater in the historic City of Frederick give students the chance to perform for audiences of all backgrounds
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Frederick Grades: PK-8 | 130 students
1730 N Market St
Frederick, MD 21701
(301)695-9320 10.2 PK-8
- Buckeystown Grades: 9-12 | 290 students
3989 Buckeystown Pike
Buckeystown, MD 21717
(301)662-4210 11.2 9-12
I have been going to the school forever and I highly recommend this school for everyone. I have friends who arrived at the school who were previously bullied, and had fallen into depression, but upon arriving at the school their lives changed for the better. The school contains nurturing teachers who care about the well being of the students. I have ADD and I know that my knowledge/comprehensive skills could have been lacking based on my "disability" but, I am a straight A student and I wholeheartedly believe that this school, this home, is why. Learning is exciting and engaging with labs, active conversational classrooms, outdoor experiences (nature walks, gardening, and assorted additional events), and teachers who teach in such a way that if you don't understand something, than you can ask. I could talk about this school forever and all its merits (I won't for the sake of time), but I recommend this school.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Arian
This School has changed my daughters life. She started FMS in 6th grade, she was struggling with insecurities and tons of bullying. From the moment we visited FMS we felt welcome. The parents and the teachers love their school and it shows. I hope to be enrolling my son next year as he enters 6th grade. My daughter is now in 8th grade and she is happy, independent and active in sports and drama. If you're looking for a beautiful school, filled with kind excepting people, this is the place for your child. Amazing arts program too!
- Posted by Parent - shann
FMS is a great community to have a child attend. It is a school that encourages the students to move along at his/her own speed. The encourage the students to be part of the world and learn what they can do to help the community. The teachers care about each student and understand what they need to be successful. I want my child to continue through high school. WE LOVE FMS.
- Posted by Parent - alanb
FMS encourages diversity and a strong sense of independence! Our son is in his first-year of study and we already notice a remarkable difference in his reading and vocabulary skills. The staff and teachers are kind and supportive and the parents truly take pride and are actively involved in every aspect of the school. The love and support received at FMS is unlike any other!
- Posted by Parent - dynam
FMS has both rigorous academics and an emphasis on creative thinking. Classes are small, diverse, and unequivocally provide a safe place for learning. The teachers, staff, and parents are extremely supportive. I give FMS the highest recommendation.
- Posted by Parent - msspr
FMS is a beautiful place to learn and grow. Teachers really know my children and offer an academically rigorous curriculum in a more hands-on way. My children are strong critical thinkers and problem solvers as a result. I love the focus on social justice and environmental care-taking too.
- Posted by Parent - jocoh
Learn more about Financing Your Kids’ Education in Private School.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.