Friends Meeting School
- Top Ranked MD School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 103 students
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Friends Meeting School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Be The Change Club, Community Enrichment Club, Cultures Club, National Honor Society, School Newspaper, Student Council, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Community Play, Drama, Orchestra
Our mission is to build a place where students are supported to take risks in the spirit of learning, discovering, and letting their lives speak.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO "LET YOUR LIFE SPEAK?"
Our program is rooted in Quaker principles and practices. Quakers believe that everyone is deserving of respect, everyone possesses an "inner light." (We`ll elaborate on that below.) They also believe that the truth (or "Truth") is never revealed in a single moment; rather, it gradually emerges through experience. Reading about ideas can be helpful, identifying one`s core beliefs can be grounding, but nothing replaces the value of experiencing things first-hand-acting on your beliefs to bring about growth and positive change. That`s how you let your "let your life speak."
A universal framework for making moral decisions
There are six Quaker testimonies that emerge from the belief that everyone has an "inner light."
- SIMPLICITY: Distinguishing between needs and wants. Removing distraction to strengthen your relationships, pursue your beliefs, and remain grounded.
- PEACE: This is not about avoiding conflict. Our focus on peace informs how we respond to inevitable disagreement. When done well, the response has the power to broaden perspectives and strengthen relationships. Our "Restorative Resolution" program exemplifies this testimony.
- INTEGRITY: So often, children are put in situations where they try to fit in. This creates inner tension and undermines self-worth. When one is authentic, true to one`s beliefs and free to pursue one`s passions, it`s liberating.
- COMMUNITY: All schools have a community. However, when a school community is undergirded by Quaker principles, it ensures that every student belongs and the whole is stronger than the sum of the parts.
- EQUALITY: No one person is more deserving of respect than another. Wisdom can emerge from any member of our community. This is why students refer to our teachers by their first name.
- STEWARDSHIP: Tending to our environment must happen locally and globally, and the environment includes our culture and community as well as earth.Students at Friends Meeting School engage in weekly "meeting for worship," which is a Quaker religious service. Meeting for worship is an opportunity for the community of students and adults to gather for a period of silence and reflection. During the service, anyone may be moved to share a message-Quakers call this "vocal ministry"-with the group. It provides a valuable opportunity to step outside the chaos of the day, to connect with the larger community, and to exercise one`s voice.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sports does Friends Meeting School offer?
Friends Meeting School offers 4 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Mountain Biking and Soccer.
What is Friends Meeting School's ranking?
Friends Meeting School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for: Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees.
When is the application deadline for Friends Meeting School?
The application deadline for Friends Meeting School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Friends Meeting School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards