Good Shepherd Montessori School
- Good Shepherd Montessori School opened its doors for the first time in September 2002, but the origin of Good Shepherd is found in years of friendships, conversations, and graduate school discussions.
- Good Shepherd Montessori School is a diverse, cooperative learning community, governed by an independent Board of Directors, that uses the Montessori method to nurture the character and uniqueness of the child and to inspire wonder and a joy of learning.
- It fosters spiritual growth in the Christian tradition and cultivates compassionate relationships with all people and just stewardship of the world's resources.
- Central to the mission of Good Shepherd, then, is the religious potential of the child.
- Along with this, the parents desired a school that would serve the people whom Maria Montessori served when she began her school in the poor neighborhoods of Rome.
- Because of this, Good Shepherd is committed to bringing children of diverse economic and social backgrounds together in a learning environment of respect.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||158 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Child's choice of clothes, but there are general guidelines of what is acceptable.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||May. 1 / Aug. 20 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,350|
|Tuition Notes||Fifty percent of our children receive financial aid.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,750|
- Mission Statement: Good Shepherd Montessori School is a diverse, cooperative learning community, governed by an independent Board of Directors, that uses the Montessori method to nurture the character and uniqueness of the child and to inspire wonder and a joy of learning. It fosters spiritual growth in the Christian tradition and cultivates compassionate relationships with all people and just stewardship of the world's resources. Our Mission is based on the following beliefs: We believe that all persons are created in the image and likeness of God. We believe that diversity is God's creative tapestry and it is to be sought and celebrated, especially socio-economic and racial-ethnic diversity. We believe in a cooperative school that depends on students, teachers, and parents to work together to accomplish the mission. We believe that the education of the whole person is an ongoing process that occurs most successfully when life activities at home and school are consistent. We believe in the vision of child development, educational philosophy, methodology, and learning environment created by Dr. Maria Montessori. We believe that respect for the child is the foundation for academic excellence and that the aim of education is to touch the imaginations of children and ignite their God-given curiosity and enthusiasm for discovery. We believe that the spiritual formation of the child is inseparable from the intellectual formation, and is deepened and celebrated best through the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, a Montessori approach focusing on Scripture and Catholic liturgy. We believe in a plan of cosmic education which provides awareness of the universe and each child's unique place in the universe. We believe that the ultimate aim of a Montessori education is to foster world peace and work toward global justice.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- South Bend Grades: NS | 26 students
1236 Lincoln Way E
South Bend, IN 46601
(574)289-1222 1 NS
- Fayetteville Grades: PK-6 | 53 students
440 E Lanier Ave
Fayetteville, GA 30214
(770)461-1595 576.6 PK-6
- South Bend Grades: PK-K | 32 students
53333 Ironwood Rd.
South Bend, IN 46635
(574)277-6468 0.9 PK-K
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.