Green Chimneys School
5.00 (1 review)
- Green Chimneys School is designed for students who have been unsuccessful in a traditional educational setting and who require a small, structured and therapeutically supportive setting.
- Small class sizes, high staff-to-student ratio, well-trained teaching staff and a safe, therapeutic environment are just a few things that make Green Chimneys School the right choice for so many students with special needs.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
National Association of Private Special Education Centers
Other associations(s) for exceptional children
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Total Students||136 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Green Chimneys complies and often exceeds all standards and educational mandates set by New York State. An enriched educational environment offers a vast array of adjunct programs such as woodshop, life skills, outdoor education, art, gardening and our world famous nature-based programs that encompass animal-assisted therapies/activities, horticulture therapies/activities, humane education and sustainable agriculture education. Students are referred by their home school districts, although we’ve had students whose parents have chosen to pay privately for their child’s tuition. Admission is based on referrals from sending school districts and individual needs of the student. Each student’s curriculum at Green Chimneys School is highly individualized and applied in a comprehensive, therapeutic environment with a staff-to-student ratio of 12:1:1, 8:1:1, and 6:1:1. The educational, physical, emotional and behavioral needs of the individual learner are considered and accommodated following comprehensive assessments. A professional staff (social workers, counselors, teachers, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, speech pathologists; occupational therapists), familiar with the sometimes complex needs of students in a special education setting, guide children toward making constructive choices and building upon their individual strengths. To meet the needs of students with psycho/social challenges, Green Chimneys, together with families, collaborates with each child’s home school district through the Committee of Special Education (CSE) to ensure that educational and related services goals are met. A variety of programs to address remedial or specialized learning needs are offered to our students.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mount KiscoGrades: 9-12 | 82 students
40-1 Radio Circle, PO Box 277
Mount Kisco, NY 10549
- Briarcliff ManorGrades: K | 127 students
480 Albany Post Rd
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510
- NyackGrades: 5 | 138 students
339 North Broadway
Nyack, NY 10960
- Valley CottageGrades: PK-8 | 228 students
365 Kings Hwy
Valley Cottage, NY 10989
- PoughkeepsieGrades: UG | 82 students
230 North Rd
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Having worked at Green Chimneys after teaching in a NYC public school for 26 years, I am impressed and delighted at the level of care and support that these children receive.
- Posted by Teacher - Cunar
January 19, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 19, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.