- Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls in grades 7 -12, located in beautiful Central Pennsylvania.
- Our 300 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts and athletics.
- At Grier, girls become emboldened, engaged, and poised for the future.
- Lemuel Grier, the first in our founding family, conveyed this sentiment best: "Our aim is not to stuff the mind with undigested knowledge from the Text Book, but to train its powers, so that the student may be able to think for herself." Today, the tradition to develop students` critical thinking abilities-as well as the other 21st century skills-inspires both our pedagogy and curriculum, which offers classes ranging from college preparatory to Advanced Placement (AP) and in-depth scholarship through electives and advanced offerings.
- The standards of faculty and instructors are high, as are the levels of concern and support provided to ensure that students experience success.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||290 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2-D Design, AP US Government and Politics, AP US History, AP World History|
|Average SAT score||1280|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$54,500|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jennifer Neely|
|Admissions Associate||Katie Kingera|
|Endowment Size||$20 million|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Golf, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballArchery, Ballet,|
Cross Country, Dance,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Anime, Astonomy, Book & Movie, Drum Circle, Ecology Club, Grier Giving Back, Journalism, Knitting, Math, National Honor Society, Outing Club, Triple L|
- The Grier School is an independent boarding school for girls located just outside Tyrone, Pennsylvania, USA. Grier's Central Pennsylvania location is easily accessible to the nearby cities of Altoona and State College, home to Penn State University. The school's mission since its founding has been to enrich the lives of young women in the areas of academics, athletics and the arts. Toward this goal, all students are encouraged to participate actively in all aspects of school life.
January 23, 2018
What is private school really like? Is there any truth to the rumors you keep hearing? Let's find out.
January 23, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 23, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.