5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (814) 684-3000
- Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls ingrades7-12, located in beautiful Central Pennsylvania.
- Our 300 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts and athletics.
- At Grier, girls become emboldened, engaged, and poised for the future.
- Lemuel Grier, the first in our founding family,conveyed this sentiment best: "Our aim is not to stuff the mind with undigested knowledge from the Text Book, but to train its powers, so that the student may be able to think for herself." Today,the tradition to develop students` critical thinking abilities-as well as the other21st century skills-inspires both our pedagogy and curriculum, which offers classes ranging from college preparatory to Advanced Placement (AP) and in-depth scholarship through electives and advanced offerings.
- The standards of faculty and instructors are high, as are the levels of concern and support provided to ensure that students experience success.
Grier School places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||274 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2-D Design, AP US Government and Politics, AP US History, AP World History|
|Average SAT score||1340|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$55,900|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jennifer Neely|
|Admissions Associate||Katie Kingera|
|Endowment Size||$25 million|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Archery, Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Golf, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Archery,|
Climbing, Cross Country,
Rock Climbing, Snowboarding,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||31 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Alpha Omega, Anti-Bullying Club, Astronomy Club, Empowering Girls Globally (EGG), Environmental Club, Excursion Club, Garden Culb, Grier School Ambassadors (GSA), Journalism Club, Kaleidoscope, Knitting Club, National Honor Society (NHS), Pottery Club, Prom Committee, Recycling Club, Theatre Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Flute Choir, Jazz Band, Musical Theatre, Orchestra, Private Music Lessons, Rock Band, Select Singers, String Orchestra
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian, Golf, Personal Fitness, Tennis, Yoga, Zumba
- The Grier School is an independent boarding school for girls located just outside Tyrone, Pennsylvania, USA. Grier's Central Pennsylvania location is easily accessible to the nearby cities of Altoona and State College, home to Penn State University. The school's mission since its founding has been to enrich the lives of young women in the areas of academics, athletics and thearts.Toward this goal, all students are encouraged to participate actively in all aspects of school life.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Lakeville Grades: 9-12 | 612 students
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
(860) 435-3102 262.6 9-12
- Culver Grades: 9-12 | 842 students
1300 Academy Rd
Culver, IN 46511
(574) 842-8300 430.4 9-12
- Worcester Grades: 6-12 | 609 students
81 Providence Street
Worcester, MA 01604
(508) 459-5440 349.5 6-12
Hi, My name is Salem Mulugeta and i have always wanted to study aboard. I am from Ethiopia and the school i go to is not very good its a private school but its not good. There are good schools but they are very expensive so, my parents can't afford it. I was wondering if your school gives scholarships to international students and what are the requirements.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Salem
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.