Hathaway Brown School
- Hathaway Brown is a school for girls, and it's so much more.
- It`s a school for scientists and writers and artists and budding entrepreneurs.
- It`s a training ground for athletes and dancers and musicians and actresses.
- It`s a place where young people are empowered to ask questions, challenge conventions and explore opportunities.
- And everything we do is guided by our motto: Non Scholae Sed Vitae Discimus - We Learn Not for School, But for Life.
Hathaway Brown School places among the top 20% of private schools in Ohio for:
- Category Attribute
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||795 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||130 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|Average SAT score||678|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 22 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $3,450 in the Infant & Toddler Center to $33,500 in the Upper School.Tuition includes lunch, technology, parent association dues, and class fees. Books and materials are included through eighth grade.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Pinkerton|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBasketball, Climbing,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Esports Club, Math Club, Speech and Debate, Student Council, Student-Run Foundation
Arts and Music Programs:
Orchestra, Performing Arts, Visual Arts
- Since 1876, HB has given students the tools they need to confidently embrace all the possibilities that exist for them beyond our Shaker Heights campus. The faculty`s dedication to hands-on experiential learning at all levels can be observed every day in the classrooms, libraries, science labs, theatres, dance studios, and art rooms, as well as on the athletic fields.
- In addition to the superior academic preparation they receive, at every turn, HB students are inspired to become the best people they can be. We encourage girls of all ages and boys in our Early Childhood program to take chances, stretch their minds, work together, and pick themselves up and start over when they need to.
- The results of this philosophical approach speak for themselves. Through the years, we`ve amassed more than our fair share of awards and accolades in every discipline you can imagine. Students continually perform with notable distinction on high-level tests and in the rate at which they`re accepted to their first-choice, top-tier colleges and universities. HB consistently is ranked as the #1 girls` school in the state by Niche, we`ve been a Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio for five years running, we`re among the top girls` schools in the country in number of National Merit Finalists, and we`re the alma mater of 10 U.S. Presidential Scholars, the highest honor bestowed on American high school seniors, and an achievement that is unmatched anywhere in the region.
- But no matter how well they fare by these measures, all of our students are able to apply what they`ve learned in the classroom to their lives. They know how to test theories, advocate for themselves and others, find beauty in overlooked places, implement creative solutions, and lend a hand where it`s needed.
- And wherever they go from here, HB graduates bring strong character, unparalleled intelligence, unbridled enthusiasm, and an unquenchable thirst for knowledge along with them.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cleveland Grades: 9-12 | 314 students
3301 North Park Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44118
(216) 321-2954 1 9-12
- Cleveland Grades: K-6 | 54 students
27250 Emery Rd
Cleveland, OH 44128
(216) 292-4685 4.3 K-6
- Cleveland Grades: NS-8 | 261 students
3380 Fairmount Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44118
(216) 321-7571 1 NS-8
- Cleveland Grades: 9-12
3470 Rocky River Drive
Cleveland, OH 44111
(216) 251-6788 14.4 9-12
I thank HB for the confidence, courage, and determination that I possess as a young woman today. As I embark on my journey to college this fall, I say with the utmost confidence that I am more than prepared because of the education I received at this school. Its students have inspired me and its faculty and staff have pushed me to excellence. I'm grateful to have this place to call my second home. It is because of the same sex, private education that I received that I am not afraid to speak my voice loud and clear in the world. I wouldn't have wanted to attend any other private institution because I believe there is no place like HB.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sophie Weyn
The school is good with recognizing students with special needs or who need academic help, lots of clubs, friendly people, plenty of advanced classes, nice teachers ( mostly ), tons of award.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - halla