Hickory Day School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (828) 256-9492
Hickory Day School Photo #2 - The Aktari suite (Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten classes) learning about different types of transportation at the local airport.
- *Due to COVID-19, we will be offering virtual learning as well as on campus leanring. Hickory Day School instills in its students a love of learning in a unique environment that emphasizes academic excellence, critical-thinking skills, and global perspectives.
- We develop individual talents, skills, and abilities by promoting active participation in a wide range of academic, athletic, and extracurricular activities within a supportive, nurturing environment.
- We foster a sustained love of learning allowing students to acquire a critical mass of significant knowledge by exploring themes of inquiry, which have global relevance and importance.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||testing accommodations, reading specialist, mathematics specialist|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||120 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Monday-Thursday = khaki and collared shirts; Fridays = jeans/casual)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,000|
|Tuition Notes||See web site for complete tuition details per grade level. The tuition rate varies depending on grade level and ranges from $7000 to &10,000.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Rick Seay|
|Admissions Associate||Alison Tompkins|
|Endowment Size||$0.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Board Games Club, Book Clubs, Chess Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Sunshine Singers choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Basketball Club, Jump Rope Club
*Due to COVID-19, we will be offering virtual learning as well as on campus learning.
- The admissions committee looks for a love of learning and parental commitment to the IB program of the school. An admissions assessment is made for every applicant. This assessment involves both literacy and numeracy skills.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Hickory Grades: PK-12 | 485 students
3260 6th St. Dr. NW
Hickory, NC 28601
(828) 324-5405 3.6 PK-12
- Hudson Grades: PK-12 | 160 students
239 Mount Herman Rd
Hudson, NC 28638
(828) 726-0055 13.5 PK-12
- Spartanburg Grades: NS-8 | 122 students
384 S Spring St
Spartanburg, SC 29306
(864) 585-3046 67 NS-8
"We strongly encourage parents of all young students to visit HDS. It's a uniquely amazing school that Hickory is fortunate to have because of its IB emphasis & values, its outstanding staff, its low student-to-teacher ratio, its academic rigor, and its culture. We teach students HOW to learn; the value of learning; and the importance of being globally minded, ambitious citizens who strive to make a difference in the world. We have seen the entire spectrum of educational levels offered here as our son has attended HDS for nine years. Not only has he benefited from learning both Spanish and Latin here, but he has also enjoyed the challenge of taking Algebra I as a seventh grader. He has had the opportunity to help the community through his year-long IB Exhibition independent project on littering, has loved playing on the HDS basketball and soccer teams, and has enjoyed the chess club and the middle school/kindergarten reading buddy program. HDS offers a well-rounded, top-quality educational experience. We are quite confident in his ability to move forward successfully into high school; he has been armed with the reasoning, discipline, and analytical skills to embrace his interests, explore new opportunities, and tackle whatever challenges he encounters."
- Posted by Parent - Current Parent
"The amount of work required to succeed in high school is pretty much the same as the work required at HDS. I transitioned a lot easier compared to my new peers."
- Posted by Student/Alumni - HDS Alum
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.