Hudson Lab School
- Hudson Lab School is a new, independent K-12 school located in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY in Westchester.
- We will open in Fall 2017 in a single, mixed-age classroom teaching grades K-5.
- At Hudson Lab School, we integrate collaborative, interdisciplinary project-based learning (PBL) and thoughtful self-reflection with the academic fortitude of a classical liberal arts education.
- Our teachers guide and support students as "lead learners" in their investigations rather than the person holding all the answers.
- Located at skilled nursing home Andrus on Hudson, Hudson Lab School incorporates intergenerational learning and takes advantage of the gorgeous gardens and wooded paths directly outside our classroom door.
- Our mission is to instill a love of learning and to teach children how to design and build a life in which they can thrive.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||8 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,500|
|Admissions Director||Cate Han|
- PROJECT-BASED LEARNING
- At Hudson Lab School, we use project-based learning to drive students' curiosity and persistence for high performance learning. We teach the attitudes and approaches for our students to be the protagonists in their own learning with teachers serving as organizers, guides and sources of inspiration. We empower students through our focus on collaborative learning and a commitment to teaching the whole child--intellectual, social/emotional, and physical. We carefully balance creative and critical thinking while encouraging persistence and intellectual rigor. Rather than focus on school readiness skills, we help each student build the life skills to adapt and change and grow into the person he or she aspires to grow into.
- ACADEMIC FORTITUDE
- Project-based learning is integrated with personalized learning where students learn core subjects like reading, writing and math either one-on-one or in small groups. Reading and writing at Hudson Lab School will be supported by a blend of literacy approaches including those of Fountas & Pinnell and Lucy Calkins. Guided by their teachers, students will explore texts by discussing open-ended questions, sharing responses and insights, and developing all their basic language arts skillsreading comprehension, critical thinking, writing, speaking, and listening. Math will be supported by Investigations and Singapore math.
- SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- At Hudson Lab School, we believe self-awareness and the ability to connect with others is an essential life skill. We integrate social-emotional learning into every facet of the school day: At morning and afternoon community meetings, through mixed-age learning groups, intergenerational programming and community involvement to gentle group critiques and design challenges that encourage students to accept and embrace failure as part of the design process. Each day Hudson Lab School students will seek ways to positively impact our school, our community, and our environment.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bridgehampton Grades: NS-6 | 127 students
Po Box 604
Bridgehampton, NY 11932
(631)537-1240 82.5 NS-6
- Southampton Grades: NS-8 | 343 students
160 N Main Street
Southampton, NY 11968
(631)283-9140 78 NS-8
- Southampton Grades: NS-3 | 59 students
135 Saint Andrews Rd
Southampton, NY 11968
(631)283-2223 75.9 NS-3