Hyde Park Day School - Lemont Campus
The mission of Hyde Park Day School (HPDS) is to provide students of average-to-superior intelligence with learning disabilities an innovative and comprehensive educational model that will help prepare them for a successful transition to public or private schools in their home community.
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: 1-8
- Average class size: 5 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- Hyde Park Day School seeks to prepare students for a successful transition to mainstream schools through a rigorous individualized curriculum focusing on academic and self-advocacy skills in a collaborative environment. Hyde Park Day School believes that the complex nature of significant learning disabilities necessitate the delivery of a program that focuses on the remediation of fundamental skills, the development of strategies to compensate for learning challenges, and the use of appropriate accommodations. The goal of this highly individualized curriculum, which is driven by a strong focus on developing self understanding and awareness, is to enhance self-esteem, self-confidence, and a positive attitude toward learning.GOALS:
- To provide a learning environment where children develop a positive attitude towards school and an enthusiasm for learning;
- To provide more specialized educational options for children with learning disabilities who have been unsuccessful in public and/or private schools;
- To create a safe and enjoyable environment that fosters success, embraces diversity, and leads to students developing self confidence through an understanding of their individual strengths and areas for improvement;
- To nurture and encourage creativity among teachers so that they will challenge, evaluate and revise the methods used to teach each child;
- To enhance each student`s Individual Learning Plan with intensive one-to-one assistance, using state-of-the-art remedial materials and methodology that address the students` specific learning deficits;
- To engage artists and regular education teachers to modify the curricula and to co-teach with LD specialists;
- To serve children from residential schools who meet admissions criteria and are ready for transition;To develop innovative techniques for modifying regular education curricula that will prepare the student for a successful transition (when appropriate) to public or private schools in their home community;
- To provide ongoing services (i.e., comprehensive tutoring and consultation with the teachers) for students who transition to public or private schools in their home community;
- To align the HPDS curriculum as much as possible with the Illinois Learning Standards;
- To provide tutoring services to students with LD and consultation to regular classroom teachers as an extension of Hyde Park Day School`s educational philosophy;
- To contribute to the field of learning disabilities by providing opportunities for teacher training and by sharing expertise with the broader metropolitan Chicago community; and
- To foster an understanding of the unique and complex challenges faced by children with learning disabilities and their families.
Endorse Hyde Park Day School - Lemont Campus. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.