Khan Lab School
5.00 (1 review)
- All inquiries must be submitted through our Admissions website. Please visit khanlabschool.org/admissions for instructions and information.
- Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student.
- We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world.
- Voice of America: Experimental Silicon Valley School Abolishes Grade Levels - 01/10/2017 - Watch this report from international broadcaster Voice of America: "Our children, they love going to school, to the point that even if they are tired or sick or have the ...moreflu... they will not skip school." hide
- How Khan Lab School is Disrupting Education - 11/21/2016 - At TechBBQ in Copenhagen, Executive Director Dominic Liechti shares how Khan Lab School is disrupting education. "How can we use the power of technology to humanize the classroom?"
- International School Magazine: A revolution in education - 11/18/2016 - "We started by looking at what concepts we would like to expose our kids to, starting with conflict, relationships, culture and identity, as well as the skills the workforce is ...moredemanding as we move from an industrial age to a conceptual age. There`s no question about learning basic skills like reading and writing, but equally there is no need for memorization." hide
- NPR: Freedom to Explore - 11/01/2016 - NPR Ed visits Khan Lab School and explores innovations in student-directed learning.
- CBS News: The positive progress of Khan's brick-and-mortar school - 08/30/2016 - This story originally appeared on CBS This Morning.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-10|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||165 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
- In keeping with Sal Khan's One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
- Todays traditional education model, which has been in place since the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, no longer optimally prepares children to meaningfully contribute to a world that values self-motivation, meaning, empathy, and creativity over compliance. In the 21st century, schools need to empower students to develop independent and critical thought, entrepreneurship, self-direction, and collaborative capabilities.
- We offer these opportunities as part of a teaching philosophy that encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
- To learn more about our model and what we do, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Redwood City Grades: K-12 | 30 students
1201 Main Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
(650)365-3250 9.7 K-12
- San Jose Grades: NS-12 | 2048 students
500 Saratoga Ave
San Jose, CA 95129
(408)249-2510 8.1 NS-12
- San Mateo Grades: 6-12
1840 Gateway Dr., Ste. 100
San Mateo, CA 94404
(866)402-1699 15.5 6-12
- San Mateo Grades: K-12 | 79 students
515 E. Poplar Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401
(650)375-5860 18.3 K-12
KLS is a great home for families who care about strong academics without the stress of "doing school". Mastery-based learning means no gaps in one's education, project-based learning means kids are engaged and have agency in the learning process. There is 1-on-1 advising and a curriculum for teaching social and emotional learning. It's a small school with an emphasis on mixed-age learning and tutoring which really fosters community and compassion, not competition.
- Posted by Administrator - Theresa
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.