Lake Tahoe Preparatory School
Tel: (530) 583-8665
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #2 - Students may ski or snowboard daily during the winter months. Lake Tahoe Prep is located 1 mile from Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Ski Resort.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #3 - The LTP Courtyard separates the dormitories and gives students a quiet place to converse. Students reside in one of three dormitories on campus. The new dormitory uses south-facing solar panels to take full advantage of the average 300 days of sunshine to reduce our environmental footprint.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #4 - Lake Tahoe is a premier world-renown resort destination year-round. The blue skies, clear water, dense forests, and deep snow make it a haven for for everyone - from outdoor enthusiasts to authors and explorers.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #5 - Our small class sizes, averaging 7 students, allow teachers to provide increased individual instruction.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #6 - Students may take full advantage of the LTP Art Studio. The Art Studio offers resources for drawing/sketching, painting, photography, and ceramics.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #7 - Many students enjoy recording music in the recording studio.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #8 - Students reside in adult-supervised dormitories. Due to Covid 19 the students are living in private rooms. Rooms are furnished with beds, dressers/clothing storage, desks & chairs, in-room dormitory refrigerators, and individual combination in-room safes for students to store their valuables. Most dorm rooms include en-suite bathrooms.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #9 - LTP serves house-made meals. A fresh salad bar is available each day, and there are ample, year-round fresh fruits and snacks between meals. We also offer vegetarian options and can accommodate some special dietary needs.
- At Lake Tahoe Preparatory School, we believe all our students deserve a robust education designed to meet them where they are in their academic journey, and those journeys are very different depending on the student.Our unique program fosters the success of each and every student.
- Our low student to faculty ratio of 7:1 inspires a superior academic program built on individualized learning and meaningful relationships.
- Our students benefit from taking part in the best outdoor sports Lake Tahoe offers, including big mountain skiing, and our wellness model prioritizes the physical, emotional, and social health of our students.
- Lake Tahoe Preparatory School provides a nurturing environment for each student to develop competency and confidence along their academic and social journeys.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
National Independent Private Schools Association
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,000|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Tuition for each 3-week session|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||70 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Physics B, Psychology, Spanish, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History, World History|
|Average SAT score||1350|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$55,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition shown for: Nine-month Boarding StudentFor more information on tuition, please visit http://sva.org/tuition-financial-aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Adrienne Forbes|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Community Service Projects, National Honor Society, Student Newspaper, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, Music Lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding, Backpacking Club, Badminton Club, Basketball Team, Bouldering, Camping, DISC GOLF, Hiking, Indoor Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, River Rafting, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Yoga
- Lake Tahoe Preparatory School meets students where they are in their academic journey. We champion lifelong intellectual curiosity, physical fitness, and personal resilience. We achieve 100 percent university acceptance, and our students graduate ready to learn, ready to launch, ready to lead.
- Apply online at: https://laketahoeprep.org/admissions/domestic-admissions-process
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- The nearest high school, elementary school and preschool to Lake Tahoe Preparatory School is Tahoe Expedition Academy (7.4 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Truckee Grades: PK-12 | 240 students
9765 Schaffer Mill Road
Truckee, CA 96161
(530) 546-5253 7.4 PK-12
- Norden Grades: 8-12 | 43 students
815 Lupine Trail
Norden, CA 95724
(530) 269-7401 10.1 8-12
- Incline Village Grades: 7-12 | 32 students
889 Alder Ave
Incline Village, NV 89451
(775) 831-2423 13.8 7-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?