Laren Montessori School
Tel: (708) 339-4274
- Laren Montessori School was established in 1965 by Mary Catherine (Henneberry) Prendergast.
- The school has occupied its present site since 1974. Laren is an Illinois not-for-profit corporation and as such admits children of any race, color, national and ethnic origin.
- The policy of the school is determined by a board of directors who are elected by the parents of the school.
- Parents are also required to participate by assigning themselves to various committees which help with the upkeep of the building and classrooms and various parts of the program.
- Our parents are also responsible for annual fundraising events. The Purpose of Laren is to provide an early education program in which the foundations for a lifetime of creative learning are developed effectively and efficiently within the child.
- We do this by surrounding the child with maximum motivation and the opportunity to achieve at his or own level.
- Laren also helps to develop in children those habits and skills that are essential in becoming efficient students.
- These include concentration, order, initiative, creative self expression, cooperation, and persistence in completing tasks.
- Appropriately designed learning tasks and materials geared to each child's level of learning assure success and develop self confidence.
- In performing these tasks the child not only learns that work is a source of keen personal enjoyment, but gains a feeling of security and a sense of independence.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Other Montessori association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||33 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- South Holland Grades: NS-8 | 145 students
900 E. 154 th
South Holland, IL 60473
(708) 333-8173 1.4 NS-8
- Chicago Grades: PK-K | 96 students
1819 W 99th St
Chicago, IL 60643
(773) 239-8248 8.6 PK-K
- Dolton Grades: PK-8 | 26 students
14243 Dante Ave
Dolton, IL 60419
(708) 849-2787 3 PK-8
- Hammond Grades: PK-6 | 176 students
5935 Hohman Ave
Hammond, IN 46320
(219) 932-5666 4.4 PK-6
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.