Learning Skills Academy
- Learning Skills Academy is a private, non-profit day-school located on the New Hampshire seacoast serving students in grades three through twelve, ages 8 to 21.
- We are a small, close-knit community of thirty-six faculty, most with multiple educational certifications, and up to sixty students.
Learning Skills Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in New Hampshire for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
Other special emphasis association(s)
Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
|Grades Offered||Grades 3-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language-based and non-verbal learning disabilities; speech and language impairments; other health impairments; dyslexia; dysgraphia; dyscalculia|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$43,068|
|Tuition Notes||Rate is set by the state of NH|
|Admissions Director||Karen E. Staines|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Girls on Track, Martial Arts, Social Hou|
- Our mission is to ignite the educational potential of students - grades 3 through 12 - with language and learning difference so that they may succeed in school, college and career.
- Each year, the curriculum is presented through the prism of a school-wide and year-long theme. Our themes include: The Art and Science of Communication, a blending of physical science and early western civilization, From Evolution to Revolution, blending biology and American history, and Faces of the Earth, including world cultures and earth science.
- Language-based instruction is used in all classes and students spend as much time as they require in our Language Lab. Individualized programs facilitate development of decoding, encoding, fluency, comprehension, visualization, and phoneme segmentation skills.
- Our five Speech and Language Pathologists, two Intervention Coordinators, Occupational Therapist and Counselor provide individual and group therapies, as appropriate.
- Friday schedules alternate between field studies which enrich the classroom curriculum and Adventurelore, an outdoor adventure-based counseling program that develops self-confidence and group cooperation skills.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rochester Grades: K-12 | 62 students
105 Eastern Avenue
Rochester, NH 03867
(603)332-2848 23.1 K-12
- Contoocook Grades: 6-12 | 16 students
40 Park Ln
Contoocook, NH 03229
(603)746-7702 48.5 6-12
- Exeter Grades: 9-12 | 1085 students
20 Main St
Exeter, NH 03833
(603)772-4311 7.5 9-12
- Amherst Grades: 5-12 | 40 students
31 Old Nashua Road
Amherst, NH 03031
(603)673-6656 40.7 5-12
- Berlin Grades: 8-11 | 11 students
26 Exchange Street
Berlin, NH 03570
(603)215-0002 102.9 8-11
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.