Lesley Ellis School
- Lesley Ellis serves children in Preschool (2.9) to Grade 8 in a welcoming, diverse independent school community.
- Lesley Ellis offers outstanding, innovative academic programs for Early Childhood, Elementary and Middle School students which emphasize critical thinking.
- We value what makes our children unique, and we encourage them to apply their own talents and passions to their learning.
- Our community is centered on the values of mutual respect and global citizenship.
- Lesley Ellis School prepares accomplished, inquisitive and inspired learners by providing a challenging, student-centered, and anti-bias curriculum within a tightly connected community.
Lesley Ellis School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||225 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,765|
|Tuition Notes||Early Childhood Tuition starting at $10,701 depending on individual schedule.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tricia Moran|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, SoccerBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Middle School Clubs
Arts and Music Programs:
Arts Block and Arts Apprenticeship
- Accreditations: Lesley Ellis is accredited by the Association of Independent Schools in New England and the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Philosophy: Independent elementary/middle school. Individualized, developmental teaching practice with strong academics and an award-winning anti-bias curriculum
- Teachers: 43 teachers; most have advanced degrees; 90 percent have 5 or more years of experience. Several teachers are affiliated with graduate schools of education.
- Specialists: Music, reading, Spanish, library, physical education, art, theater
- Features: Experiential learning incorporating regular field trips. Multi-age classrooms in elementary and middle school programs. Spanish beginning in Preschool. Music, physical education and middle school athletics. Early drop-off available at 8:00 a.m. Afterschool program until 5:30 p.m. Vacation program. Summer program.
- Hometowns: Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Cambridge, Lexington, Malden, Medford, Melrose, Somerville, Watertown, Winchester, and surrounding areas.
- Resources: Large, sunlit classrooms, art studio, library, makerspace, music classroom, Spanish classroom, gymnasium for sports, special events and performances. Two outside playgrounds, an Outdoor Classroom, tennis courts, basketball court, playing fields. Computer lab; extensive children's library collection. Regular use of community and greater Boston resources.
- Application deadline is January 15. Rolling admission is available after that date as spaces remain.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Belmont Grades: PK-8
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 484-3078 2.3 PK-8
- Cambridge Grades: PK-8 | 525 students
178 Coolidge Hill
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 520-5200 2.5 PK-8
- Arlington Grades: NS-8 | 204 students
39 Medford Street
Arlington, MA 02474
(781) 643-9031 0.7 NS-8
We have been at Lesley Ellis School for two full years now (my oldest transferred from a public school in the middle of 1st grade). We have just been so incredibly impressed with our children's school experience at LES (our younger two started in preschool and kindergarten this year). The focus on social-emotional learning has been amazing for all three of my kids, as well as the hands-on learning and balanced curriculum that allows them to explore many interests. We love the outdoor time (4x as much recess time as there was in our previous school) as well as an outdoor classroom and walks around the neighborhood that mesh with the learning to go on inside the building). The school is really a thought-leader in anti-bias education as well, something our family thinks is so critical in the 21st century — we love how the teachers delve into important issues in age-appropriate ways.
- Posted by Parent - Mira
What a wonderful school. The middle school experience is paradise. Or child has grown so much here, intellectually and personally.
- Posted by Parent - Grreapsphos
We have had a wonderful experience at Lesley Ellis. The teachers and administrators are so talented and caring. It is a great group of parents accomplished in the arts and non profit institutions. Small classes, lots of enrichment offerings. Highly recommended.
- Posted by Parent - calbe
Our family has been so happy at Lesley Ellis. The faculty are dedicated, talented and really know the children as individuals. The innovative curriculum is challenging yet fun and the students are being well prepared to be life-long learners and responsible, caring members of society.
- Posted by Parent - lisa.