- Maranathan Academy is a nonprofit (501c-3), all scholarship school (grades 6-12), committed to educating and changing the lives of critically at risk youth, in Birmingham and surrounding communities.
- Students enter Maranathan wounded and looking for a place to belong.They emerge equipped to excel. The primary goal of Maranathan Academy, is to break the cycle of government dependency, that has plagued the families of critically at-risk youth for generations. Maranathan Academy has been changing and saving the lives of critically atrisk youth for 26 years!".
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||20 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average ACT score||18|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,000|
|Tuition Notes||Middle School Tuition is 8,000 annually High School Tuition is 10,000 annually|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$9,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Donna Dukes|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Sports||Intramural Sports OnlyIntramural Sports Only|
Maranathan Academy was founded on September 3, 1991. Maranathan is a nonprofit (501c-3), all scholarship school (grades 6-12), committed to educating and changing the lives of critically at risk youth, in Birmingham and surrounding communities.Students enter Maranathan wounded and looking for a place to belong. They emerge equipped to excel.
The mission of Maranathan Family Learning Center & Academy, Inc. (MFLC&A, Inc.) is simple to save the lives of critically at risk youth.
The primary goal of Maranathan Academy, is to break the cycle of government dependency, that has plagued the families of critically at-risk youth for generations.
Maranathan Academy is dedicated to, through the transformative power of education --
- provide an educational oasis for individuals in desperate need of a second chance
- provide academic, spiritual and emotional strength for critically at risk youth and their families
With the combined numbers of students and their family members who have received our unique services, Maranathan Academy has significantly impacted over 1, 500 lives.
- 85 percent of our students have completed high school and earned diplomas.
- 53 percent of our graduates have entered colleges and universities.
- The remaining 47 percent of our graduates have entered the military or become certified in a trade and gainfully employed.
Maranathan Academy is dedicated to ensuring that their graduates become productive, contributing members of society and credits to their country.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Birmingham Grades: 2-12 | 65 students
2701 Sydney Drive
Birmingham, AL 35211
(205) 423-8660 11.1 2-12
- Bessemer Grades: K-12 | 42 students
3100 Dartmouth Ave
Bessemer, AL 35020
(205) 424-8533 14.8 K-12