Martin De Porres School
- In the late 1960's, when the Christian Brothers were teaching at Mater Christi Diocesan High School in Astoria, starting a school like Martin de Porres or working with emotionally disturbed children were not pieces of their “life plan”.
- They were comfortable teaching subjects like Religion, English and Physics.
- They eventually moved on to become assistant principals, deans and moderators of athletic teams.
- What appeared to be a simple request to assist poor students would lead them on an unexpected path.
- Over a few years time, they and their colleagues would make one commitment after another that would lead them into the vanguard of special education in New York City.
- We Teach all who have been entrusted to our care that they are lovable and worthwhile persons capable of making responsible choices based upon respect for themselves and for the other persons in their lives and capable of establishing relationships of trust among our diverse community of adults and peers.
- With faith and zeal we seek to continually develop creative ways to touch the hearts and minds of the young people entrusted to our care both at home and around the world.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council of Bilingual Education|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Total Students||420 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: K-12
314 West 91st Street
New York, NY 10024
New YorkGrades: 7-12 | 67 students
24 W 74th Street
New York, NY 10023
New YorkGrades: K-8 | 160 students
211 West 61st Street
New York, NY 10023
Fresh MeadowsGrades: 3-12 | 360 students
18302 Union Tpke
Fresh Meadows, NY 11366
Fresh MeadowsGrades: 9-12 | 2600 students
6100 Francis Lewis Blvd
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365