Mckinna Learning Center
- The mission of the McKinna School is to empower our students to realize their individual potential, develop a sense of confidence in themselves as learners and prepare them for the next steps in their lives.
- Thus the McKinna School strives to create a unique curriculum embracing progressive educational practices along with individualized support and state-of-the-art assistive technologies to provide our students with an enriched academic curriculum and a supportive and tolerant community.
- Within our daily school setting, we seek to develop analytical and critical thinkers who grasp new ideas and knowledge from a global perspective.
- Recognizing that students have a variety of needs at each developmental stage and learn in different ways, the McKinna School is committed to help each student: Learn to think critically Cultivate a passion for success in academics Achieve a sense of emotional and physical well-being Celebrate differences and our common humanity Gain a sense of personal and community responsibility Develop a life-long love of learning.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Not Available (School did not report any membership associatons).|
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-10|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHA, Dyslexia, Twice Gifted|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||17 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- McKinna School is an independent, progressive elementary, middle and high school with enrollment from kindergarten through 12th grade. Small multi-age classes are led by expert teachers (8:1 ratio). Our K-12 curriculum includes: mathematics, reading, writing, humanities, science, Spanish, music, art, and physical education for all ages. Our Mission is to empower students to realize their individual potential, foster their innate desire to learn and act with social responsibility. Thus McKinna School strives to create a unique curriculum embracing the best of progressive educational practices, which provide our students with an enriched academic curriculum and a supportive and creative community. Within our daily school setting, we seek to develop analytical and critical thinkers who grasp new ideas and knowledge from the world around them. Recognizing that students learn in different ways, our graduates leave McKinna School as creative problem-solvers prepared to thrive in our complex, 21st-century world. We Emphasize: Guided, cooperative learning Social and emotional skills such as inclusion, empathy, kindness and diversity Connections across academics, such as math with history Inquiry-based projects, short and long term Positive discipline Environmental sustainability Our Philosophy is that children learn best when: They are actively involved. They use all of their senses to discuss, debate, explore, investigate, create, and gather their own information. They study subjects in depth rather than in broad overviews, bringing in information and concepts from related areas. They are interested in the topic, are challenged but not frustrated, and are having fun. Our Curriculum is designed to: Rely on non-competitive assessments, not standardized testing. Be student centered. Be age appropriate. Teach core concepts and skills, academic and social. Include open-ended learning experiences which have many solutions to one problem.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pasadena Grades: 3-12 | 79 students
940 Avenue 64
Pasadena, CA 91105
(323)254-2274 36.6 3-12
- Pasadena Grades: 1-12 | 121 students
971 N Altadena Dr
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626)791-1255 41.5 1-12
- San Pablo Grades: 2-12 | 78 students
4138 Lakeside Dr
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510)262-1500 337.6 2-12
We have spent tens of billions on educational technology since the 1990s. Has all this spending improved educational outcomes?
Use this five-point checklist to keep your search for private schools organized.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.