Meher Schools Photo #2 - Second graders present synonyms during a grammar and vocabulary lesson. Students are aided and encouraged by the compliments given by their peers.
Meher Schools Photo #3 - A kindergarten teacher reads with students. Each classroom at the Meher Schools has multiple teachers, which allows for lots of close interaction and work with students.
- The Meher Schools (K-5) and its White Pony (preschool) division offer programs to the community for children two years old through fifth grade, with a focus on serving the needs of working parents by providing child care programs, even for very young children.
- We feel most individual achievement is best fostered in an atmosphere of love and security, expressed through creative channels rather than through competition.
- We encourage the children to strive for high standards of academic excellence while learning the enduring values of cooperation, community, and service to the world.
- We staff to excellent ratios (6:1 in preschool and 12:1 in elementary) with teachers working in teams through fifth grade.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||293 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||38 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Coding Class, Drama, Gardening, Spanish Language Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Classes, Chorus
- Our emphasis is on developing and encouraging little children to experience happy interactions with their companions and their teachers. The children's day is filled with music, art, dance, and nurturing. They learn to focus on tasks, complete what they start, put things away, and clean up after themselves. They experience the joy of being able to do these things. We prefer teaching children in larger, mixed-age groups with an excellent teacher-student ratio because it easily simulates a natural environment with younger and older siblings and the special relationships that are engendered. While we have incorporated many of the principles and materials developed by Maria Montessori, we have created a curriculum that is uniquely our own, rising out of the shared talents and interests of our remarkable preschool staff and of the children themselves.
- Our elementary school begins in kindergarten and extends through fifth grade. Here, the classes range from about 15 up to 28 students per class. We have two to three teachers in each classroom. We also have a school art teacher, science teacher, gardening teacher, and librarian. The children receive a high quality academic education. We strive to support each child's efforts individually. We integrate the arts to complement and stimulate academic education.
- We offer afterschool enrichment programs through our Explorations program. Current courses present a wide range of subjects that include chorus, spanish language classes, coding, art classes, drama, cooking, gardening, crafts, touch typing and word processing.
- We offer summer programs for our children in preschool through our graduates entering sixth grade. Although our school remains open year round primarily to meet the needs of children of our working parents, summer school continues to attract many of our other students as well.
- The Drama Camp is an especially popular program with the students. It is also popular with our graduates who are in high school and college and who make up the faculty under the leadership of our professional staff. One exceptionally fun aspect of Drama Camp is the inclusion of mixed-age groups, opening the door to sweet, supportive relationships between the younger and older students.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Walnut Creek Grades: NS | 69 students
2131 Olympic Blvd
Walnut Creek, CA 94595 0.8 NS
- Lafayette Grades: 6-12 | 55 students
1035 Carol Ln
Lafayette, CA 94549
(925)962-9660 0.8 6-12
- Lafayette Grades: NS-K | 155 students
3390 Deer Hill Road
Lafayette, CA 94549
(925)283-6036 1.1 NS-K
- Walnut Creek Grades: PK-8 | 301 students
1158 Bont Ln
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
(925)935-5054 1.1 PK-8
- Lafayette Grades: NS-K | 85 students
1049 Stuart St.
Lafayette, CA 94549
(925)284-7092 1.2 NS-K
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.