Montessori Academy Of Colorado
5.00 (13 reviews)
- The Montessori Academy of Colorado is a high standard urban Montessori school that offers a full-day, year-round innovative student and family educational experience.
- MAC serves students ages 8 weeks through 5th grade. Our organization was founded by parents who sought a traditional Montessori education for their children that still met the needs of working parents. We celebrate creativity and curiosity in all our students by encouraging hands-on, self-paced, collaborative learning through experiences and challenges.
- We create a unique community where students will acquire self-efficacy and social and emotional intelligence from an educational foundation built on integrity, compassion and support.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Any that can be integrated fully.|
|Total Students||199 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rates vary based on the age group of the student as well as the program in which the student is enrolled. All tuition rates are provided on our website.|
|Admissions Director||Amanda Herman|
|Admissions Associate||Amanda Herman|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Ballet, Hip-Hop Dance, Martial Arts, Private Piano, Yoga|
Arts and Music Programs:
Art (Included w/ Tuition), Music (Included w/ Tuition)
- The word `Nido` is derived from the Italian word meaning nest and conveys the spirit of the infant community. The classrooms are comforting, warm and inviting and focus on two basic needs of the infant-a safe bonded relationship between adult and child and the development of the child`s growing sense of self and independence. Our teachers provide nurturing, calm stimulation to support safe discovery of their environment, enhancing the development of the young child. We care for and respectfully respond to the needs of each infant, conveying trust, unconditional love and acceptance. As the child develops, this trust will encourage risk-taking and learning, preparing the child for the Toddler Community. The teacher to child ratio in Nido is 1:3 with a Montessori Certified Lead and two assistants.
- The Toddler Community offers space for children to naturally move from a physical and emotional stage of development to a more cognitive phase of learning. The classroom provides activities that teach care of oneself and the environment while fostering motor skills, providing structure and organization for pre-academic learning. Our focus during this stage of development is to instill self-confidence through support of the child`s innate curiosity while maintaining the balance of developing skills required for respectful social interactions. The teacher to child ratio in each toddler classroom is 1:5 with a Montessori Certified Lead and two assistants.
- Our Primary Community is designed to meet the needs of developing 3 to 6-year-olds. Classes are composed of mixed-age groups to allow for cognitive stimulation while also encouraging leadership, social and mentoring skills as well as necessary basic and higher-level academic skills. Each class has a wide variety of materials for hands-on exploration. Our curriculum is implemented with respect to varying learning styles and natural human development and provides basic knowledge and integration with real-life experiences. The Primary teacher to child ratio is 1:10 with a Montessori Certified Lead and two co-teachers.
- Our Elementary Community combines the Montessori and Place-Based educational philosophies, seamlessly blending the independent, small group and experiential learning of both in a dual-language Spanish-English classroom. We apply Montessori work cycles in the mornings and extended special classes and community experiences throughout the week. Students use Montessori materials for self-directed understanding of mathematics, language, literacy, science, history, and geography. Our educators are Montessori certified through AMI or AMS training and have extensive teaching experiences. We ensure a student teacher ratio of 10:1 allowing every child to be known on a highly personal level. Students typically develop a strong sense of responsibility and an advanced understanding of subject matter.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Denver Grades: NS-6 | 69 students
1000 Speer Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204
(303)825-1333 1.7 NS-6
- Denver Grades: NS-K
999 18th St N Terrace Ste 350
Denver, CO 80202
(303)293-2743 0.6 NS-K
- Denver Grades: NS-K | 90 students
Denver, CO 80206
(303)322-0972 2.7 NS-K
- Denver Grades: PK-K | 31 students
3617 Martin Luther King Blvd
Denver, CO 80205
(303)388-8828 2.1 PK-K
My daughter is thriving at MAC. She's in the toddler program and loves being there. She's become so independent and fearless and is finding her voice. I feel great knowing she's able to be herself and grow in a supportive environment.
- Posted by Parent - AJohnsen
Our daughter has been at MAC for 1 year in both the toddler and primary communities. The staff is phenomenal in all respects. Each and every person that has engaged with our daughter knows her name even the folks that work in the office or see her infrequently. Her teachers are incredibly response to meet the needs of all students and update us regularly on work done in the classroom, how we can support our daughter at home, and how she is doing in unique areas that we've asked for support with. MAC also offers phenomenal parent learning opportunities around the Montessori philosophy, science, math, and other areas of student/parent development. In addition, as an LGBTQ family MAC has been tremendous in welcoming the diversity of our family and using inclusive language that shows their commitment to embracing diversity of all kinds within their community.
- Posted by Parent - MKS
The distinction between "day care" and "school" is the biggest difference for me since Henry started at MAC. The seriousness with which the staff takes the Montessori approach is meaningful, and before exploring our options when moving to Denver, I hadn't known much about how Montessori worked. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcomes so far and my family intends to pursue Montessori education for as long as is practical for our child(ren).
- Posted by Parent - dougc
MAC is a stellar school. I got teary when I did the initial tour at 20 weeks pregnant (and it wasn't just the hormones) - it was a place with which I could truly imagine co-parenting our daughter. Yes, my husband and I are her parents, but they are there, guiding her and helping her grow into the fantastic two year old she has become. I can't say enough about the thoughtful curriculum, the weekly art and music (and host of other "specials" - yoga, ballet, spanish, etc.), and the high ratio of teacher to student. I especially loved their embrace of "alternative" choices our family has made, such as cloth diapering and excellent nutrition. We LOVE MAC!
- Posted by Parent - eacol
Our child started school at MAC when he was 18 months. He's now over 3, and we are amazed at how much he has learned and grown. MAC has helped him truly develop his potential, not only academically, but also as a responsible, polite, and friendly child. MAC provides music and art once a week, and the Montessori materials in the classroom are high-quality. We have been very impressed and happy with the care and education our child has received at this school.
- Posted by Parent - rlave
MAC is a treasure. The entire staff and administration bring such commitment, devotion, and caring to everything they do. It is a safe and purposeful place. Our child has loved every minute of it.
- Posted by Parent - scott
We have been very happy with MAC. The facilities are great, including spaces devoted to art and music. The teachers and staff are committed and work hard to make the program rewarding and fun for the students.
- Posted by Parent - brian
We love MAC! Our son has been in the Toddler Community for almost exactly a year now. He loves to go to school. He comes home with lots to say about his friends and teachers, what went on in "specials," the work he did during the day, etc. His relatives are amazed at his independence, self-confidence, and manners. I recommend MAC because of the community, the parent involvement, the teachers'' love and respect for the children, the level of training (and ongoing training) of the teachers, the spacious and well-prepared classrooms, and the weekly art and music classes (with teachers who have music and art degrees!).
- Posted by Parent - annie
We have had our child at MAC since she was 18 months old. We cannot say enough about MAC and the wonderful influence it has been on our child. Similar to other parents, I toured several schools and did not find any that felt the same energy or feeling that we encountered at MAC. Our child loves to be there. They potty trained her within 2 weeks of being there at 18 months. We even left for a short period when we got into a highly regarded ECE program in Denver. We lasted two weeks before we returned to MAC. Honestly, I would be hard pressed to find a better place. We certainly have found a great variance with Montessoris. MAC is social, incorporates other activities such as music, arts and dance which children love. She has thrived there! It will be a sad day when we have to leave MAC, but we are staying as long as we can!
- Posted by Parent - frang
Both my husband and I work, so choosing where our child would spend her day was the paramount decision as new parents. We toured several Montessori schools and at MAC we found the ratio in the classrooms to be the best and the environment the most inviting. In addition to feeling warm and nurturing, the interactions between caregiver and child are quite respectful. The setup of the room provided all the children, even those from 3 months old, with opportunities to explore and develop, and the schedule of daily activities, like buggy rides, water days in the summer and snack time for older kids, provide the children with structure and consistency. Our experience with MAC continues to be great. Most important, our daughter likes being at MAC. The staff is also an invaluable source of parenting help and we enjoy talking with the other families. There is a sense of community here.
- Posted by Parent - gail.
My child was enrolled at 13 weeks and MAC has provided a safe and engaging environment that has enabled him to develop extraordinary social skills at an early age. He is approaches new environments and social situations with gusto. He is comfortable in all social settings; visits to new homes; restaurants, and; the ever dreaded airplane flight. I truly believe his outgoing nature and friendly demeanor can be attributed to his interaction with the excellent staff and other children. He loves it there.
- Posted by Parent - petey
MAC is a wonderful place that my wife and I trust to care for my daughter. When we moved to Denver, the staff at MAC was extremely helpful in helping us secure a spot and helped us transition into the Denver community. Our daughter is at home there and adores all the staff and other students. I highly recommend MAC to anyone who wants their child to grow to be independent thinkers.
- Posted by Parent - johnl
The programs are excellent at MAC. My preschooler is fully engaged in his classroom (which constantly focuses on different interesting topics and shifts the curriculum). There is also music and art. The facilities are very nice. And the staff is incredibly responsive to parents.
- Posted by Parent - jenjw
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.