Mount Royal Academy
Mount Royal Academy Photo #2 - Whole school events foster a family atmosphere that inspires leadership and character development.
Mount Royal Academy Photo #3 - Mount Royal Academy teaches in this spirit: children must enter into that timeless conversation with the greatest thinkers and saints of all time, so they can better appreciate what it means to be human.
Mount Royal Academy Photo #4 - NHIAA varsity basketball, soccer, football and hockey are some of the sports programs offered. Sports are an extension of the mission that aims to call each person to excel in all aspects of life.
Mount Royal Academy is a Catholic Liberal Arts school nestled in the hills of New Hampshire`s Lake Sunapee Region.
Our curriculum is classical in that it engages the great ideas of human history and seeks to impart a love of truth, beauty, and goodness.
At MRA we understand that the student is not one-dimensional but is a complex harmony of body, soul, intellect, will, and emotions. These faculties must each be formed both inside and outside the classroom.
Inside the classroom, teachers use a systematic approach in all subject areas that builds upon information and skills students have already mastered.
Students are encouraged to develop the skills of discernment, freedom, and wonder in order to make good choices in regards to personal, academic, and family life.
- Top Ranked NH School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 193 students
- Yearly Tuition: $6,000
- Acceptance rate: 95%
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
IEP support, personalized support
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 20%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Tuition stated is an estimate only. Tuition differs based on grade level, number of children per family, etc. Inquire for details
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Arts and Music Programs:
- Mount Royal recognizes each student`s dignity as a child of God, uniquely created with their own strengths, weaknesses and "calling". Our curriculum is classical in that we appreciate the developmental stages of our students and use that understanding when making important curriculum decisions. In the elementary years the focus is on developing a strong foundation in phonics, reading comprehension, writing, spelling, penmanship, grammar, composition, math concepts and math facts. We believe it is important for our students to learn about our world through religion, science and history and have a strong foundation in the arts.In the High School students study in this "classical" approach by reading challenging "Great Books"; analyzing the authors` worldviews and the books` themes and supporting details; evaluating their transcendent truths, measuring them in light of errors, comparing them with Natural Law, the Church`s teachings and Scripture; and relating these truths to the students` real life experiences. This in-depth study, illuminated by our Catholic faith, makes Mount Royal`s academics unique in many ways. The high school offers college-preparatory math, science, literature, history and Latin; as well as, theology, art, choir, and physical education. Mount Royal Academy`s Catholic faith is central in our educational philosophy.
- As stated in our mission we are called to inspire students to grow in their knowledge of and love for God, which will enable them to love and serve those around them. To accomplish this mission we look to Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, as both our model and our means. We also acknowledge the vital witness of our parents, teachers, administrators, board of trustees, and priests as they reveal the Christian message, not only by word, but also by their example. We understand that the teaching of our Catholic faith is not limited to religious instruction in the classroom or during liturgical celebrations throughout the year but through modeling Christianity as a comprehensive way of life. It should animate our attitudes and be integrated into all our activities as we strive to create an environment in which students` faith and virtue will gradually mature.
- * Adapted from The Holy See`s Teaching on Catholic Schools by Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB
A recent graduate, I've gone to Mount Royal for the majority of my life and I can't recommend it enough. It is a great school with great values
I attended Mount Royal Academy for High School, and I have nothing but good things to say about my experience. Education: 5/5The quality of its high school level education is superb. The teachers are experts in their fields, many of which I believe are overqualified to be teaching high school level classes. They are eager to see their students learn, and the small class sizes makes it very easy for them to give all their students the attention they need to succeed. As someone currently studying everything from Biology, to Philosophy, to Latin in college, I can say with certainty that Mount Royal Academy prepared me for anything and everything in college. Availability of Extracurricular Activities: Mount Royal Academy does not offer an impressive amount of extracurricular actives compared to other schools when just looking at the numbers; however, that is only because of its small size. If there is a large enough interest in an extracurricular activity not already offered, the board will make sure it is provided. Students expressing interest in baseball, swimming, bass fishing, robotics, debate, and band have all been listened to by the board, and all those activities were provided for them as long as there was an interest. The reason why I only rate it in this respect is that they will not make a club for just one person. They kept an NHIAA swim team for two active athletes, but they did not keep a creative writing club for one participant (R.I.P. my creative writing club). Sarcasm aside, sometimes there just are not enough students to make an official extracurricular club, two being the minimum apparently. Over all, Mount Royal Academy has a close, almost family like, culture rooted in Christian ideal that bring out the best in its students.
I am truly grateful for my time at Mount Royal Academy. Everything I learned during my four years of high school has well prepared me for my college studies as a nursing student. Mount Royal has a great science program, and I was able to take a college human biology course that prepared me for the anatomy physiology classes I was required to take. Additionally, the school's classical curriculum and use of the Socratic method has taught me how to think, write, and speak clearly. Many of my current college professors have even remarked that I must of had "a great high school education," because the quality of my essays and presentations exceeds that of the normal college student my age. Even the very culture of the school has helped me in my future career. The faculty of Mount Royal promote Catholic virtues, one of them being charity. While I was at this school, I was given so many opportunities to show kindness to others and serve my fellow peers by organizing events through student government or by going to soup kitchens through the National Honor Society. Being exposed to these experiences where I could show charity to others helped me choose to pursue a career in nursing so I could continue to serve others. Mount Royal's rigorous curriculum, caring teachers, and culture routed in the Catholic faith has helped me to become a better worker, student, and person. I highly recommend this school without any reservations.
Endorse Mount Royal Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
How Exposed Is Your School?
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.